How to be a sensible prepper

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread about prepping.
I'm sure most of us have watched Doomsday preppers.
I'm not talking about extramist prepping but about sensible prepping.
90% of us are already preppers to a degree without even thinking about it.
Most of us have a car. You have a spare tyre....in case you get a flat one. You are prepared for that potential problem.
Then the 4x4 community have recovery gear..... because we might need it.
Some savings in the bank, in case we need it.
Most prospectors have some camping gear. Great, you are already half way there to being a prepper!
Ok, got a gas bbq?
Beauty,. An alternate kitchen. Maybe get a spare gas bottle. Keep it full.
Got a 12 v fridge already? Great! Need a deep cycle battery and a solar panel to keep it powered up. Can always use it on prospecting,fishing or camping trips
Got some fishing gear? Good, keep it maintained and have some hooks, sinkers and lures handy.

Dry goods....long life food and toiletries.
When you do a shop, chuck in a 5kg bag of rice every now and then. Soon you will have 20kg of rice stored, it keeps well for years. I keep mine in its original packaging, in a 20kg bucket with a lid.
Canned food. Keep a selection of canned food.as much as I dislike the stuff, spam will keep for years and years. Keep some veges and tins of fruit. Plenty of canned food will keep for years. Honey will keep forever. Condensed milk is good for long term.
Pasta and tins of tuna keep well .
Every now and then get a 3 pack of soap and chuck into storage bin. Garbage bags. It doesn't take long to accumulate this stuff really.
Pet food. Store some extra pet food. I don't need to go to shop for weeks.i didn't get this stuff over night, I get a little extra every shop day. Might be rice one week, a couple of cans of dog food another and so on and so on.
You are not crazy to be a prepper, you are responsible.
I also keep a small amount of fuel, unleaded for my lawnmower, and my generator if needed, and about60 Lt of diesel that I put through my car anyway, and refill as needed.
It's not overly expensive to prep if you do it over time.
This is just a very brief look at some things. Once you start, you start to think like a prepper , cordless tools that can be charged via a 12v charger become more interesting than other tools. Things that have multiple uses become attractive.
Start now, it's not too late.

1585396468_img_20200328_2122492.jpg
1585396048_img_20200328_2107392.jpg
1585396065_img_20200328_2108442.jpg
1585396083_img_20200328_2111522.jpg
1585396120_img_20200328_210907.jpg

You get the idea....

Mate, I have plenty of the stuff, my ex works for a distributor ,commercial, I have 2x48 roll boxes ...not luxury stuff, but my fingers haven't poked through yet. I had the 10 pack for years.
Anyone looking for bog roll, go to a supplier that sells to commercial cleaning companies. They usually have bulk dunny paper, bleach, ally bright etc etc.....for hand sanitizer, go get a bottle of metho!

Ridge Runner said:
sand surfer said:
You can keep the soap mate ,but can i have the bog roll :lol:

You could have some of mine but this thing will most likely be over before the Mail gets back to normal, The bloody things have taken over my Bath room :( :( :(

Wouldn't think there would be a shortage of soap in the UK ! Lol :lol:

I bought a Pack of 60 Luxury Rolls back in January and then I Bought another because I thought my brother would want some and didn't and now I still have about 110 of the things. :mad: :mad: :mad:

davent said:
Ridge Runner said:
sand surfer said:

You could have some of mine but this thing will most likely be over before the Mail gets back to normal, The bloody things have taken over my Bath room :( :( :(

Wouldn't think there would be a shortage of soap in the UK ! Lol :lol:

Yeah The Soap trade relies on Tourists like me to bail em out,

I got 6 bottles of thick Bleach and I bought a 5L can of the industrial Disinfectant that they used to Kill that Bird Flu, It's Awesome stuff, It's Like 2-4D for Germs, LOL

sand surfer said:
Ridge Runner said:
sand surfer said:

They are not breeding on you are they RR :lol:

I was wondering because they seem to be ganging up on me, Not to mention the Soluble ones I bought for the Porta Potty, :eek: :eek: :( :(

A couple of things that it would be wise to carry,

1 or 2 Pks of those Makeup cotton wool pads Ladies use to wipe off Makeup,

They make great Tinder for starting a fire and you only need one to get it going, Get one and at the edge pull it apart so it looks like a figure "8" but not separate it from the other half and then fluff up the Inner layers and get your other stuff like twigs etc ready to put on it and use a fire striker to ignite the inside of the cotton pad and then get your twigs on there quick smart,. Works Every Time,,

Get your self a Good Fire Stick /Steel and fix it to your Belt loops

And get a Good Large Brand name Multitool Like Leatherman or Gerber and OR a Knife with a Locking Blade, Don't buy the BUCK brand Multi Tools the Springs in them Break.

Keep a roll of Para cord as well, even the cheap 3mm stuff will get you out of trouble, and keep it with a Tarp or your DrizaBone Coat because they both make a good shelter from the sun and the Rain,

Always keep spare Energizer Lithium disposable batteries in your Kit, They have a 10 year shelf life and have the longest Burn times of any battery and are the only Battery Guaranteed not to leak, They are great for Torch's and GPS's.

And don't forget a couple of Rolls of 100 MPH Tape.

Starting a fire during a pandemic is probably pretty low on my list of priorities.
I'm not really talking about bear Grylls type situations more about how to limit your time in public. If you have a good stock of things that you know you will need at any time, then you can limit your time to essential movement.
I.for one want to stay away from service stations and supermarkets when this thing gets bad. It's not even close to bad here yet, so I can add a few items that I don't really need without going crazy. Most recent purchase was a couple of pouches of tobacco, a three pack of bic lighters, and two cartons of beer, one for a mate who is doing a small job for me tomorrow.
I have plenty of other prep stuff, but more concentrating on the current situation.
My movement is mainly to and from work now.
Only thing I needed recently was cough medicine, and found one that works really well.
Duro-tuss. It's either really good, or I had a severe two day cough.

Starting a fire during a pandemic is probably pretty low on my list of priorities.
I'm not really talking about bear Grylls type situations more about how to limit your time in public. If you have a good stock of things that you know you will need at any time, then you can limit your time to essential movement.
I.for one want to stay away from service stations and supermarkets when this thing gets bad. It's not even close to bad here yet, so I can add a few items that I don't really need without going crazy. Most recent purchase was a couple of pouches of tobacco, a three pack of bic lighters, and two cartons of beer, one for a mate who is doing a small job for me tomorrow.
I have plenty of other prep stuff, but more concentrating on the current situation.
My movement is mainly to and from work now.
Only thing I needed recently was cough medicine, and found one that works really well.
Duro-tuss. It's either really good, or I had a severe two day cough.

1585399751_img_20200328_2217522.jpg

madtuna said:
Thanks for the fire lighting tip RR.....I'll keep that in mind for year 10 after Armageddon when by then bic lighters and the good old box of matches will probably be a rarety and fetch much more than I can afford :Y: :D

Fcuk you crack me up mate.
Beer with you around a campfire one-day bloke!

Latest posts