Thank you Tathradj

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
Hopefully this Topic will return to what it was intended for, to pass on knowledge to assist others, not criticise.

I started working with computers 50 years ago, reckon I learned a thing or two about them, but there are times my spelling n Gramma aint great. Even after all that time, I'm still a 2 finger typist prone to putting one or the other in the wrong place, lol. :)

Onya Goody.....

Only had a lap top for a bit over 4 years and still know buggeral about driving the thing

2 questions condor

1) how many more years of typing with one finger before i graduate to the 2 finger typing ,it must be a lot quicker :)

2) why do the bloody letters keep hiding from me, have i done something to upset them :lol:
they are never where they were when i tapped it last,why do they hide from me heeeeeelp 8.(

1) how many more years of typing with one finger before i graduate to the 2 finger typing ,it must be a lot quicker :)

2) why do the bloody letters keep hiding from me, have i done something to upset them :lol:
they are never where they were when i tapped it last,why do they hide from me heeeeeelp 8.(

Thought that only happened to me :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I play Age of Empires on the laptop all I need to use is the mouse.
up a bit in the future the only need for keyboards (for a while) will be for the technicians.

If you want to stop a program runing in the background then right click on your taskbar then select task manager.
When task manager opens you will see a list of the processes running. Right click on the one you are worried about eg Skype and then select 'End Task'.

Job done. :perfect:

Plenty of sites / programs to teach yourself how to touch type. Now you have time, just 30 minutes a day and you're off and typing.

Surfer -

Re Q1 - I'm a South Paw, as such, I've had to learn to overcome many things in a RH world, including being able to do many things with both hands. By 2 finger typing I mean one on each hand by the way. I also use my thumb on the space bar when typing, so I suppose that's a total of 3 digits on the keys. As to how you graduate, keep going lol.

Re Q2 Buggered if I know.

As an aside here's my logic re LH v RH -

In a RH person the LH side of the brain is dominant. In a LH person it's the RH side of the brain.

So the logical progression of these facts is; "A Left Handed person is the only one in their Right Mind". :)

Harbourmaster said:
Hey condor22 where did you use a computer 50 years ago or was that a throw away line ? :)

I remember being with my Dad at Harwell Power Station back in the day, where he loaded a program to the computer with reader cards....
Here's a photo of a Harwell computer in the 40's
1586861603_83d2968cea6e0eb5f92288e2aab33509.jpg

Tathradj said:
Looks like a relay driven machine.
I will have a Google about it. :)
I reckon they would be valves eh?
I had a batch of cards from Dad's old job for years... but as a teenager prolly just threw them out!
1586870473_s-l640.jpg

Simmo, That's about the vintage puter I used 50 years ago, either cards or paper tape on NC machines on an old Wang 5000. We'd fill out the proforma for the cards to be produced by some young girl in a big pool of "Punch Card Operators. The paper tape stuff, I did the lot, Wrote the code, produced the tape, set up the machine and got dirty.

In the days when the computer room was about the size of a large house and less powerful than a digi watch lol.

Years later my first home PC was an Amstrad 64k cassette tape jobby. I thought I'd hit the big time when I found out how to add another 64k of RAM and a 5 1/4 floppy drive lol.

Although I've been retired 9 years, the last PC I used at work was a Raid 5 workstation, with 4 hard drives. One for the OS, 1 for Data and the other 2 duplicating the first 2. Even then had 16 GB RAM 64 bit OS and a graphics card I still could not afford to buy. :)

PS, I still have 3 1/2" floppys in the shed, but no longer have a drive. But, I do have a USB Laser drive for the CDs & DVDs that plugs into my laptop. As well as a couple of older laptops that have them inbuilt. I still occasionally pull out the Vista or Win 8 Laptops (not internet connected) as some of the software won't run on Win 10.

I also occasionally use DOS and DIESEL scripts, so DOS aint dead - yet :)

For the younger viewers Google them, you may learn something, lol.

I missed this continuation of the thread???! Sorry!

Good Stuff Condor!!
My Dad is of the same ilk!

He ended up working for British Aerospace as a tech. on 3 level PCB'S!
All done with microscopes etc!!

Blows me away!

diggit, we have a friend, an excavator operator, (gold miner), that makes tidy play money apparently, with 10,000+ tic tok viewers???
I've never even seen it apart from if one of the kids shows me something!!

condor22 said:
Who remembers the old Green Screens and some Amber?

Oh yes, remember them well, my first experience was one of those in 1985 at the in-law's place. Never used a computer at that point and Dinah, who was a main frame programmer, showed me how to use it to write thank you letters following our wedding a few days earlier. The fact that I could make quick little edits without having to write a series of letters from scratch got me hooked :)

Computers are still a love - hate relationship :( but I cope

Still remember some of the old screen savers, one totally hooked me 'Bad Dog', I could watch the little dog for ages, working his way across the screen ripping the computer apart, it was an almost child like love of the little fellow :)

Latest posts