SPP HICCUP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that the pcb has a label (noise reduct) and two tabs as if it can be switched?anyone no if it can be turned Off wood be good to turn it off when emi is not a problem?

Dusty,

The noise reduction on the pc board doesn't do anything. It simply adds a diode in the signal line in hopes the diode will clip the noise. The result is a small loss of sensitivity.

Reg

No, it is not diode 12. Please do not jumper that diode or anything right now. Jumpering D12 could cause problems. I haven't studied just what might happen if it was jumpered. Now, I was asked to not discuss the mod at this time so I can't provide the details. However, there are a few people who know what needs to be done and if you gents discuss it privately, oh well.

I will say, any mods done should be done by someone who has knowledge and experience with working on surface mount pc boards. The components are tiny and the lead free solder is a real pain to work with.

Besides, White's might not warranty any mods made by someone else that does something wrong. I can say with certainty, the changes that need to be made will not harm the detector. In fact, they make the SPP more like the TDI which has a long history of working well but what is left eliminates the warble found on the TDI.

So, give me at least to the end of this week to see what happens.

I designed the original noise reduction circuitry a few years ago while working on my personal TDI, but I just recently figured out that if the TDI detector isn't calibrated properly, a somewhat similar noise can happen. Fortunately, on the SPP, that calibration has been removed and fixed components set the proper signals. So, a simple fix that works is possible for the SPP.

Reg

What was the conclusion for the hiccup problem from whites and or goldsearch?
I've been staying quiet waiting for an update so we can start talking about how good the spp is after some of the different mods that have been done :D

Regards Daryl

After reading the posts here im amazed the SSP was released in Oz with just a 1 turn G/B pot. No wonder it has problems. I recall on forums when the TDI was coming out a number of years back that guys said the American one wasn't suited for us here as the 1 turn didn't cut it in testing and was delayed until it had one that gave a wider finer range. So why has this got what was first rejected?

Jon,

The SPP's ground balance has nothing to do with the hiccup people are having problems with even though it may appear that way. Also, the hiccup doesn't exist here in the US, so we had no way of knowing it existed. It was only after hearing about it and working with a guy in OZ, was a solution found. Fortunately, with the help of Luke (located in OZ), Luke and I found a solution and presented that solution to White's. As I understand it, that solution has been implemented and new boards are on their way to OZ and some may be there.

The single turn pot works fine but is a little touchier than having a second pot. If you want a second pot on the SPP, it will raise the cost of the detector. With the mods in place, the detector is smoother and easier to ground balance.

Reg

Dazza, Karl, and Old Hand,

The solution to the hiccup is the solution that Luke and I discovered and is now being implemented by Whites. That solution required a modification of the noise reduction circuitry. Now only is the hiccup gone but the ground balance works much better and easier. BTW, the solution is exactly the same as some of you already implemented via private emails or private fixes. So, you got a head start.

Now, there is another quirk that hurts nothing but can be annoying at start up and maybe will happen when using some coils. I also recommended in my initial recommendations to Whites that should remove a part and replace it with a short or simply short out the part and should be done also. That initial list of recommendations recommended this capacitor be shorted out. Some of you have already done that since I recommended it earlier in my conversations to some members.

Again, I need to go back and emphasize to White's this also needs to be done. This a part in the SL and TDI series that doesn't need to be there. This part causes a quirk that can cause a loud signal that dies off slowly when the detector is first turned on. To stop this, simply place the coil on the ground when turning it on and raising the coil quickly or simply bob the coil quickly right after turning on the detector. Then ground balance as usual. You will find the ground balance of the detector is easier now.

A few members have noticed that once in a while, especially when using certain coils, especially larger ones, the threshold will remain high and slowly drop back to normal. This is also caused by the same part.

Again, the particular quirk primarily happens on start up and will not affect the operations under normal conditions. Since the SPP does not have a delay control, this same quirk can help let a person know when they are using a coil that is too big or not functioning properly for the preset delay in place.

So, it can be a good thing to still have in place, especially if you know what it is telling you should the noise happen after start up.

Reg

Jon,

The original TDI did work in Oz without the vernier but a decision was made to add the vernier control to make it easier to use in the worst ground. Remember, the TDI will work with a mono coil in places other PI's will not work or work well at all with a mono coil.

The SPP is a low cost PI that works well in many places and will work even better once the modded boards are installed. People will find it is possible to ground balance reasonably easy, the hiccup is gone and, overall, the detector is smoother and quieter than any other PI in use today, especially for the price.

The hiccup that has been mentioned was never a problem anywhere else, so no one even knew it would be there when the SPP was offered for sale in OZ. Since it didn't exist in the US, Jimmy Sierra felt the detector would work in OZ and offered it for sale to your distributor. Well, the hiccup cropped up but now has a solution so it is now a non issue.

So, the people in OZ now have a super smooth threshold on a very decent PI that works well. Better yet, it is very economical when compared to most PI's. What is even better is when you learn a few tricks, you can cover lots of ground and not hear hotrocks, hot pockets, etc, yet hear small gold signals very well. Try to do that with any other PI regardless of price.

Now, Zuke has modified his TDI and can detect a .03gram nugget. Well, that is a half grain. Can the SPP hear that same nugget, yes barely, but considering the SPP is half the cost of the TDI Pro, it doesn't do that bad for the price. What also makes the SPP neat is you don't have to have a pet gorilla to carry around the battery pack if you plan on hunting all day.

Reg

Fair enough Reg. Here's hoping for those who have them it gets sorted. Lesson there perhaps amongst it all, "test machines in Oz before sale", would save the punters the headache. :D
On a side note though, I don't mind hearing the odd ground noise or change. Listening for that has put me onto many a good patch. How many times iv been wandering and thought "ok, something's different here, check it out" payed off. I reckon had I heard zero i would have walked past the bigger percentage of good ground without realising it. To me hearing those noises are like watching for birds on the sea. ;)

I think the spp is lighter than the ml battery alone, and no real problem with the units all ready sold they've found plenty of small gold.

I think the only thing that let's the spp down out of the box is the factory coil, the miner John folded 8 coils make it sooo much better.

Regards Daryl

Comments trolling for a response will not be tolerated and do not serve any purpose in this thread nor the forum, hence why a couple of posts are now missing. If they are not constructive or relevant comments relating to the issue at hand, they will continue to be deleted, Cheers.

Reg, for those already with an SPP, what appropriate action should they take to get the new boards fitted - just contact Goldsearch Oz for the work to be done, and what is the situation regarding to shipping - is it considered as a warranty issue/recall, or an optional upgrade? Cheers

Latest posts