SPP HICCUP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My questions were relevant & constructive to those looking at these machines to purchase, especially newbies i.e. why would one not want to know about the mods being carried out by Whites on their already purchased machine? Or is one expected to do this themselves even with limited electronics knowledge? Fair questions as the SPP is obviously not operating as intended in Australia - fair reason to claim a refund possibly? Also if one were to purchase the SPP you would want to know that these issues have been modded/rectified on your purchase?
Why would one not want to know the circumstances that the modded TDI picked up a 0.03 gram nugget/spec & whether that mod is being added to future machines? That's a fair effort & it would be good to know if that mod will be available on future machines sold as that is getting into the SDC sensitivity territory - impressive if you chase the dinks! Even more impressive if it was indeed found in situ & not a test nugget/spec.
OK I may have went overboard with the depth of hole remark but it's gone now? Comment retracted :lol:

Would have maybe got one except for the issues. Reading info here has put me right off. Had Whites machines before which were good - no hiccups :lol:

Goldpick,

I was asked to not comment but I feel it needs to be done.

First, the hiccup problem is resolved and mods are being made by the factory to take care of this problem. Unfortunately, a purely cosmetic condition resulted from the mods and that is an initial audio response that only happens at start up began showing up when using certain coils. Many larger coils did not show this annoying audio signal. Now, just so you know, this audio start up causes no problems outside of requiring the operator to bob the coil over the ground or any metal to initiate a reset signal and everything from that point on works fine until the detector is turned off. Once off, and then turned back on, the reset action may have to be repeated again.

As mentioned before, a simple bobbing of the coil to check the GB will reset everything, as will other simple techniques. In simple terms, the detector requires a reset at the start up to eliminate the possibility of this signal happening again.

Now, again, I recommended a very simple fix for this annoyance and now I understand, White's is evaluating that fix, which I would expect, should be implemented shortly. All of this, to the best of my knowledge, will be at White's expense and under warranty.

Now, what is recommend is SPP owners please have a little patience and let White's make new boards and get them to the OZ distributor. Once he has them in place, he will notify owners so they can send their units back for warranty updates. Complaining or getting mad at the distributor or anyone else will only slow things down.

My problem is I used to have a working relationship with the engineers directly related with the TDI since its conception plus an excellent relationship with the CEO of Whites at the time the TDI was initially introduced. This year, the CEO retired, one engineer retired and since died, and the chief engineer quit, so my contacts have dried up. So, it is taking a little longer to get things done than I would like, but they are getting done.

Again, please have a little patience. For those of you who elected to make the changes yourself, relax, if the detector is working now, it won't fail because of any mods done. Because the design is quite bulletproof, I don't expect any failures except for the normally extremely small amount of component failures which are beyond White's control. I also would think White's would cover any other repair required under warranty. If they don't, let me know.

Reg

Tho some may not agree I'm very impressed the way this Hiccup issue is being resolved it's only been a little over a month and we have a upgrade for current SPP's and future SPP sales to make this machine even better!

Not many detector company's or distributors offer to upgrade or resolve an issue like this instead there forgotten about and operators have had to overcome the problems themselves.

Good-Tulsa' I own that modded TDI pro that will detect that .03 gram nugget' your welcome to test it out if you wish.

I agree Reg' everyone needs to be patient and the upgrades are worth the wait...

I have done mods that Reg mentioned and I can confirm that the SPP is working great, actually a lot better then before the mods. I was considering to add 1K pot in series with GB pot, but after mods I don't feel it is necessary.
Some time ago, we were camping beside Carpertee river with my friend with Minelab 3500. We tested our detectors and although we did not found any gold the SPP was not any better or worse then Minelab. I have to add that my SPP got conductivity switch fitted, so it was able to discriminate large iron targets that my friend had to dig.
I would not recommend to anyone to attempt modifications unless you know what are you doing and have a good temperature controlled soldering iron and experience in soldering with new silver based solder.
THE SPP is good and capable detector, but like any electronics devices you have to spend some time with it to understand and to take ful advantage of its capabilities and quirks. But basically it is one of simplest and cheapest PI detectors available. Just switch it on and ground balance it. And that's it.
Also I would like to thank Reg for his support and his knowledge of this detector. And to Zuke_Lynzy for implementing and testing Reg's mods.
One more thing. SPP does not work well and occasionally not at all with Minelab type of DD coils. There is fix for it on 10x5 DD coil, don't know if it will work with the coil sizes.
Karl

Jon said:
Fair enough Reg. Here's hoping for those who have them it gets sorted. Lesson there perhaps amongst it all, "test machines in Oz before sale", would save the punters the headache. :D

Yes, absolutely astounds me that manufacturers wouldn't test here BEFORE release - especially considering there'd be no trouble finding suitable candidates that would be more than willing to put something through it's paces and report back.

Jaros,

I don't know of a recall on a metal detector, but I presently have one for one of my vehicles. Once the part is available at the local dealer, I have to take the vehicle in at my expense. The part will be replaced at the manufacture's expense. At least, that is how it has worked before so I expect it to be the same this time also.

Reg

Phase tech,

You can be astounded all you like, but the reality is, the SPP circuitry is almost identical to the TDI. The differences are basically the noise reduction circuitry and some filtering. So, even I wouldn't have expected what cropped up. Had one stupid part not been added, my guess is no one would have had any problems. Now, as I think about it, I suspect that part was added to eliminate the audio threshold signal at start up. Here in the US, it didn't cause any problems like the hiccup that did happen in OZ. That part and another plus shorting one out assured the reset worked as it should and there was no delay, which was causing the hiccup.

As I said before, I couldn't reproduce anything like what was being experienced in OZ, but could sort of create an isolated example over some special rocks I got from a guy in OZ. So, finding a solution was like working via remote control with Luke making videos after he installed my recommended ideas.

The idea to sell SPP's in OZ was not a decision directly from White's but from one of their distributors who thought it might be nice to offer a low cost PI detector to the people in OZ that is presently being sold all over the world without problems. He thought maybe people in OZ would really appreciate a low cost PI that works well in most countries.

Once this final trivial mod is done to eliminate the start up audio, this simple PI will work exceptionally well in OZ also. In fact, you have the option to struggle with trying to figure out whether a ground signal is a weak target, or maybe a hotrock is really gold like Jon said he likes, or you can add the conductivity switch and then learn the few tricks I mentioned before and simply walk over the ignored ground signals and most hotrock responses being ignored but still hear gold targets. The choice is yours.

One more thing, the sales to OZ are so small, in my opinion, it is really not worth it to White's in many ways to have someone do extensive testing. That was done by Eric Foster years ago. If you think selling 80 or so of these PI detectors is a big thing, think again. Thousands are being sold in other gold producing countries as we speak with no complaints from other countries. White's is taking care of this isolated problem happening in OZ as a courtesy because that is what they do.

Reg

I have minelab detectors and an spp and I can say that probably 90% of people coming from older (and some newer) minelabs will still think the spp is the most quiet detector they have ever used even without any modifications, some really hot ground and extra strong emi did make the hiccup a bit of a pita but to say that any machine is perfect everywhere is wishfull thinking.

Some people will read through threads on this forum and think the spp is a lemon, but you need to take into account that we were being very critical of what is really only some small quirks on what is a very new (to us) machine. As we tend to do we were trying to get the very best performance that's possible wether it be battery life, sensitivity or depth (we all want that don't we?).

I got my spp and headed straight to some of the worst places in the vic gold fields to test it out and find its limits, it ran so quiet I found myself constantly putting a test piece down to double check all was well, I did manage to find some places where it started to struggle but it was running a mono and I know most machines will struggle there too. The depth is pretty good and even small sub gramers are pinged without drama in stock standard trim. I've been detecting for 20+ years and have owned a few detectors in that time, the spp is my first whites machine and it has impressed me, if I take the price into account then it REALLY impresses me!

Regards Daryl

I guess the positive is that they are listening to feedback and willing to make changes. They need a pat on the back for that.

As for recalls, Minelab did a recall on the 4500 up to a certain serial number, and a voluntary recall on the early 11" monos on the gpx5000.

Well said Dazza! I'm new to the game and bought a SPP after a lot of research and comparisons and I agree with your conclusions about the machine. I have no complaints with mine.

The SPP is a marvels detector I can use it all day as it is light there are many spots around power lines and telsta lines where it comes into its own being able to swing a mono coil under power line with no emi is a big advantage over other pi detectors. regards john :)

Considering the sales are as small as Reg says then that's a good effort from Whites, one couldn't complain about that.
Recalls, sorry Mod if its off topic but I gotta reply to a comment. Its a pitty Minelab didn't recall all the dud 2100's that were sold years ago. Dozens and dozens with the power tracks too close together causing chatter and false signals and those black board ones :mad: If there ever should have been a recall it was with those things, hiccups on steroids.
Back on track, yep good the hiccup is fixed :D

G'day All, I have just tested my TDI SL and it does not have any of the Quirks Reg Talks of, my Threshold sound is normal when I Turn it On and although I am not using it in Back Home in OZ, I find it strange that my Ground balance settings are the same Numbers as those in OZ, No Doubt there is yellow Clay in this ground, But The hardest part is finding a clean patch to Ground Balance with so much Iron and steel in the Ground, Not a Clean Square foot to be found with 6 story buildings, Cell Towers, Traffic lights, Satellite Dishes on every Building, Along with FM and infrared Alarm Systems, 25 meters from the main Drag.

So with all that going on My machine Runs at Max Gain, GB=8 No Matter whether it's in ALL, Low or High and no Hic cups, No Threshold Noise, and here's the Kicker, NUGGET, Bless Him Posted his Test Results of his TDI PRO with the Gain set to Max (10) and I am getting the Exact same measurements as he did, THANKS NUGGET, True Champ.

People often ask about the depth on Bigger Target, Well someone told me on the Whites forum that they picked up a lump of rusty steel pipe the size of a 2 litre Coke Bottle at 48" / 1.2 meters, well I just beat that at 67"/ 1.7 meters with ease and room to spare being over 6 foot. using the Standard 12" Duel Field Coil,

The Thing that's got me Bugged is if the soil in the U.S is set to 8 and the soil in OZ is set to 8 and my Soil here is Set to 8 Then what is this Ground Balance setting telling us but most of all what is the reason why at all 3 Locations the GB seems to be the same yet the Soil in OZ is so Wild, UK soil has been Polluted with Iron by peasants for over 6000 years+ and heaven knows what has happened to the U.S. soils,

All I know is with all of the Above my Machine runs flat out and matches other PI's regarding depth (Not all) but Not Far off the Pace to justify the expense and exceeds them in respect of being able to Run at Max Gain etc,

I have got some Batteries and packs I am making up so I will let you know how that Pans out Too.

REG, Your a Diamond Mate and your Bloods worth Bottling, Big Thank you for always being willing to help us Out,

John

Latest posts