Snake bites a dope on the road

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AtomRat said:
Nice comment mbasko

Butterknife will cut your limbs better than a rock or stick if it gets to that point.

I never used the word tourniquet because yes, you don't want to amputate the limb...yet.

I guess I just wrote it a little bit sloppy * shrug *
If you get to a stage where you feel that affected by the venom that you think it's time to cut your limb off then it's too late - that's senseless. Aussie snake venom travels in the lymphatic system & if your "under the weather" from a bite then it's already in it & circulating. You'll be cutting your nose off to spite your face! Best off continue pressure immobilisation & slow it down as much as possible. Cutting limbs off would be ineffectual unless done immediately on being bitten & considering the resultant blood loss could be just as if not more problematic + the fact less than 20% of snake bites require antivenom I would be leaving my limbs intact. :D

Snakes are in no way as predictable as people think. They are animals. They have independent thought to us. And I imagine just like there are people who are jerks, there are snakes with cranky personalities. My opinion is a good 1 is a dead 1. As for people saying they're great rodent control around the farm wants to join the this century and buy some bloody traps or ratsak. My Nan lived through a mouse plague and still has nightmares about it at 101 years of age. Never once has she said she wished there were more snakes around during that plague. Sorry I don't subscribe to the greeny way of thinking. But where I grew up we have plenty of snakes. And the general rule is if its close enough to kill you, kill it. We are not friends with snakes.

mbasko said:
AtomRat said:
Nice comment mbasko

Butterknife will cut your limbs better than a rock or stick if it gets to that point.

I never used the word tourniquet because yes, you don't want to amputate the limb...yet.

I guess I just wrote it a little bit sloppy * shrug *
If you get to a stage where you feel that affected by the venom that you think it's time to cut your limb off then it's too late - that's senseless. Aussie snake venom travels in the lymphatic system & if your "under the weather" from a bite then it's already in it & circulating. You'll be cutting your nose off to spite your face! Best off continue pressure immobilisation & slow it down as much as possible. Cutting limbs off would be ineffectual unless done immediately on being bitten & considering the resultant blood loss could be just as if not more problematic + the fact less than 20% of snake bites require antivenom I would be leaving my limbs intact. :D
Yep, again, solid info. I'm jumping on the mbasko fame train :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I get bitten in my bush, chances are extreemly low no matter what safety measures or gear I take. Emergency and chopper cannot access where I am without a large effort. By the time of being accessed I'd be dead already.

The amputation info, I was going off one of Tathradj's posts from another thread. I'd let him chop limbs if the decision felt needed.

Comes down to the "don't rely on textbook" still and be open for any situation.

All I said was my oppinion. I didn't say 'do this because i say' and just to not believe anything written down for rules and situations..but best to use them as a guide if you don't know what your doing.

Chewy said:
Snakes are in no way as predictable as people think. They are animals. They have independent thought to us. And I imagine just like there are people who are jerks, there are snakes with cranky personalities. My opinion is a good 1 is a dead 1. As for people saying they're great rodent control around the farm wants to join the this century and buy some bloody traps or ratsak. My Nan lived through a mouse plague and still has nightmares about it at 101 years of age. Never once has she said she wished there were more snakes around during that plague. Sorry I don't subscribe to the greeny way of thinking. But where I grew up we have plenty of snakes. And the general rule is if its close enough to kill you, kill it. We are not friends with snakes.

It's not a "greeny" way of thinking Chewy, some people just prefer to live and let live. I just don't subscibe to the Redneck way either, lol. :D

I actually prefer snakes to some people I've met....... Even though I'm not friends with snakes I still have a healthy respect for them.

What people forget about is every snake has a reaction to a situation.
So, every situation you get yourself in with a snake has a different reaction because every situation has so many variables. This is why common sense should play a role for everyone of us when it comes to being face to face with a snake.

It could be - time of day, air temperature, humidity, dawn or dusk, time of year......... Snakes react differently with regard to these variables and so should we. Mind you, this is only a small example. This also applies to us on how we are feeling at the time...... Ect.....Ect.......Ect......

I think 1 point we all can agree on is that it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do wearing thongs and shorts. Jeans might not have stopped the snake biting. But might have helped with the end result..maybe.

Chewy said:
I think 1 point we all can agree on is that it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do wearing thongs and shorts. Jeans might not have stopped the snake biting. But might have helped with the end result..maybe.

So we should all wear knee high boots every day at all times?
Why do people always fine a reason to blame the victim?

LC76 said:
Chewy said:

So we should all wear knee high boots every day at all times?
Why do people always fine a reason to blame the victim?
Well we should all use a bit of common sense. Seems not as common as it once was.

Chewy, common sense is only a word from years ago when it came naturally to the human race. These day's you have to check with goggle to find out how things are done.

Cheers, DD

lol Ok so what exactly did this guy do wrong according to you common sense experts?

Besides not wearing riot gear,or running away screaming,or stamping his foot.

Definition : Common senseis a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("commonto") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate.

I'll be the un-commoner and not let common sense be the judge of my actions when it comes to my life and safety. I've had enough encounters to know there's not one right answer for each situation.

Ok, on my way to the snake breeder neighbour now to clarify this whole topic and see what's his best suggestions are. I recon he will suggest to stay still... with a 'but'..involved in the same sentence.

Not debating or arguing, but even though the common sense rule is there.. I want clarification for all of us.

The reason this topic started was to do with a snake attack by standing still and saying its fine to stand still clearly has not worked in this instance and common sense lost. He was lucky he wasn't out bush.. but obviously being at a road and in shorts, he isn't out hiking for the day

LC76 - all he did wrong was stand in the pose directly in the snakes path expecting common sense rules to keep him bite-free.

Well dressed as he is LC76, he's obviously a professional snake wrangler that knows what he's doing. Did you not watch the video? Dress in bare feet or thongs and shorts and go and find a snake to get close to by all means. The outcome is no surprise to me. I don't think snakes are evil and out to get anybody. But if people don't respect the danger they present then more fool them.

Looks to me like he tried to get get a video to show his mates how much of a hero he is , we'll it didn't work out too well. Darwin's theory of natural selection at its best.

Chewy said:
Well dressed as he is LC76, he's obviously a professional snake wrangler that knows what he's doing. Did you not watch the video? Dress in bare feet or thongs and shorts and go and find a snake to get close to by all means. The outcome is no surprise to me. I don't think snakes are evil and out to get anybody. But if people don't respect the danger they present then more fool them.

So you have never come across a snake unprepared while beating the heat in thongs and shorts?
Or do you always wear protective gear in your constant paranoia?

http://www.forbesadvocate.com.au/story/2650219/jono-heeds-snake-advice-but-gets-bitten-by-public/

Ok I've just returned, he can't give a detail explination till I visit tomorrow when he's not as busy and I will record and upload it.

I haha...won't repeat his exact words but I can tell you standing and staying put, suggesting the theory of common sense to him returned in swearing and cursing and in all utmost respect of safety, he clearly stated you do not stay still.

Before anyone comments, this guy is a proffessional emergency snake rescuer, breeder and handler, also a wildlife worker, highly reccomended by all in my area for any encounters or rescues.

Business name is Black Snake Productions if you want to look it up.
1446273219_14462731799880.jpg

That was DUMB. 8)
If he wrote pants and shoes the snake would not have sensed his blood vessel move right at the moment it came to his ankle. It was an instantaneous reaction by the snake and like I said, let common sense prevail as every situation is different. Expert or not, that was dumb.

Uncle Bob said:
Tell your mate that he is an idiot.
If he wrote pants and shoes the snake would not have sensed his blood vessel move right at the moment it came to his ankle. It was an instantaneous reaction by the snake and like I said, let common sense prevail as every situation is different. Expert or not, that was dumb.
He needs to admit that otherwise he is full of himself.
Its no one here's mate Bob, just a video from youtube

Latest posts