Snake bites a dope on the road

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LC76 said:
Chewy said:
Well dressed as he is LC76, he's obviously a professional snake wrangler that knows what he's doing. Did you not watch the video? Dress in bare feet or thongs and shorts and go and find a snake to get close to by all means. The outcome is no surprise to me. I don't think snakes are evil and out to get anybody. But if people don't respect the danger they present then more fool them.

So you have never come across a snake unprepared while beating the heat in thongs and shorts?
Or do you always wear protective gear in your constant paranoia?

http://www.forbesadvocate.com.au/story/2650219/jono-heeds-snake-advice-but-gets-bitten-by-public/
No. I use common sense.

Didn't Cataylst or some show earlier this year do a piece on the actual effectiveness of antivenin

The guy was just showing us what not to do and if you do happen to be in the unfortunate situation where a snake is pashing your ankle, make sure you flick your ankle in the way he showed to put maximum distance between you and the snake. Very informative clip I thought.
Jon

AtomRat said:
Uncle Bob said:
Tell your mate that he is an idiot.
If he wrote pants and shoes the snake would not have sensed his blood vessel move right at the moment it came to his ankle. It was an instantaneous reaction by the snake and like I said, let common sense prevail as every situation is different. Expert or not, that was dumb.
He needs to admit that otherwise he is full of himself.
Its no one here's mate Bob, just a video from youtube

Hey Atom,
Fixed my post. :D

Myazma said:
Its the same as the vid yeah. Still a massive uncertainty and if there's an issue brought forwards then it should be studied..not hidden and dismissed. Thats why the bloke who gives his oppinion at the end is a doctor..not a scientist..not open to experimentation or new info.

I don't recon the bloke in the vid is just shifting his leg, I recon he copped a bite to react like that - edit - he did get bitten, its in the description

AtomRat said:
I recon he copped a bite to react like that

Definitely the snake was behind him so to flick it forward it must have been attached on the other side of his ankle.
Jon

AT my bad actually I posted after your edit but in agreement. Good to see it only got his thong. I've had a few close up snake encounters in my time but never had one go after me so I'm inclined to think he was unlucky. Maybe his thong smelt of mouse. :lol:
Jon

How long before a black snake bite before fatal?
It's those tiger snakes I don't trust as far as I could fling one, aggressive little devils. Love the channels around here as much as I do during summer and they aren't big on visitors.

Mate, I visited Carpenter Rocks a few years back and I tell you what,
Is no way I would go sneaking around the sand dunes late afternoon.
Bloody Inland Tiapans every where. (Black Tiger Snakes) :eek:
And they don't give ground either. :mad:

Chewy said:
We get a lot of tigers down here. Very anti social bugga's.

Hi Peter
Snakes really get people wound up,we have people who fantsay them selves bits of snake charmers like this bloke,others they scare the hell out of them,then we have people who think we can live with them crawling around where they live,I soon move them on with a shovel.
They will crawl in to your work shop,you will end up get bitten by them by not seeing them,payes to have a little terrier around your place to worn you if there is one in your place.
Will try and catch up one day and have a chat lot talk about in regards to gold and the equipment we use to find it.
Got the shaker table on the go last week,and surprise and it works as should.The adjustment is not to hard, pretty much explain it self.
Hope to take a video,but have to get my son James to help me set up,will put on the site.
Thanks for those educational snips that you put through,especially the one eye safety.
Regards for now
Frank

LC76 said:
From the article i posted
In the footage, the spotted black snake passes through Mr Roberts legs and then hooks around and bites his rubber thong, not his ankle, as many media reports suggested.
http://www.forbesadvocate.com.au/story/2650219/jono-heeds-snake-advice-but-gets-bitten-by-public/
Thanks for that link LC. That article puts a bit more perspective into what he was up to.
"he said he would be more cautious with an agitated snake in the future. I probably wont just stand in front of it next time, he said."
"I agree with standing still when in very close proximity of a venomous snake 99 per cent of the time," he wrote on Facebook.
"The last video just so happened to be in that one per cent. "Stand still under the right circumstances."
Sound advice from someone who has 11 snakes in their house!

AtomRat said:
If I get bitten in my bush, chances are extreemly low no matter what safety measures or gear I take. Emergency and chopper cannot access where I am without a large effort. By the time of being accessed I'd be dead already.
Good reason to follow ARC guidelines & apply local pressure & move yourself?

AtomRat said:
The amputation info, I was going off one of Tathradj's posts from another thread. I'd let him chop limbs if the decision felt needed.
Comes down to the "don't rely on textbook" still and be open for any situation.
All I said was my oppinion. I didn't say 'do this because i say' and just to not believe anything written down for rules and situations..but best to use them as a guide if you don't know what your doing.
No offence but if Tathradj wants to cut limbs off due to a snake bite that's ok for him - theres no way I would do it under any circumstances & would recommend that others don't either. Excising a limb once you start feeling the affects will have no bearing as the venom will already be in your lymphatic system - too late! That's just my opinion - one backed up by a council of experienced medical professionals ranging from first aiders through to neurosurgeons.
The ARC guidelines are great for people that don't know what they're doing & can be even better for those of us who think we do! :D
Some of your comments seem a bit perculiar of late "attacked by cows or eaten alive in feed frenzies like a farmer falling off his ute" & removing limbs with a butter knife. They seem a bit out there to me?

Hundreds of people get killed on our roads or at work every year and there is a few seconds news coverage, (maybe) if the channels are struggling for breaking news.
Someone gets bitten by a snake (usually because of their own fool actions) or bitten by a shark and it is flashed around the world.
We're a weird mob?

Latest posts