Snake bites a dope on the road

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1446205079_snake.jpg

DrDuck said:
As one of the comments on YouTube says
"classic example of how natural selection works"

Even though we were always taught to just stand still and it will leave us alone.
Why have a go at the guy when he was just doing what everyone teaches us?

The guy wasn't being threatening to the snake or harassing it....
All it proves is that some snakes are just pricks and stay well clear.

The information is wrong what you are taught. Snakes will bite and attack unprovoked and snakes do not move away from noise / sound. Put it this way, if its alive, it bites.

I hope yall don't think cows are safe n friendly and not dangerous too...

I sat on facebook the other day and watched as a woman asked what to do with her finger after she burnt it on her oven, minor blister. These were the suggestions from others:

Lavendar oil
Egg whites ( she actually tried this and sent in a photo )
Warm water??
Butter
Dishwashing liquid

... I mean cmon. These arnt even grandmothers tails anymore. Where does this info come from..? People just guessing?

Eventually I had conviced her to throw away the egg whites, unless she's hungry, and put the bloody thing under running cold tap water for 20 mins

AtomRat said:
The information is wrong what you are taught. Snakes will bite and attack unprovoked and snakes do not move away from sound. Put it this way, if its alive, it bites.

I hope yall don't think cows are safe n friendly and not dangerous too...

I sat on facebook the other day and watched as a woman asked what to do with her finger after she burnt it on her oven, minor blister. These were the suggestions from others:

Lavendar oil
Egg whites ( she actually tried this and sent in a photo )
Warm water??
Butter
Dishwashing liquid

... I mean cmon. These arnt even grandmothers tails anymore. Where does this info come from..? People just guessing?

Eventually I had conviced her to throw away the egg whites, unless she's hungry, and put the bloody thing under running cold tap water for 20 mins

You need to reduce that ego a bit AtomRat.
Standing still and letting the snake pass by is common knowledge and taught to most people since childhood.
And from what i understand works 99% of the time.

If ya want to call me an idiot at least have the balls to come out and say it instead of insinuating it.

What would you suggest people do when confronted by a snake?
What is the accepted procedure according to AtomRat?

Also i grew up on a dairy farm and never got attacked by a cow.

Wasn't towards you LC76, was just stating an answer from the comments already posted. But it is continuing off what you've said..might seem that way, sorry

This idiot ( not you ) is purposely standing in its way and I wouldn't doubt it to bite the second the snake caught his scent or caught a vibration. ( even 1% chance of its curiosity I wouldn't doubt )

AtomRats guide sais: To not stand in a snakes direct path. To only stand still while the snake is at an unsafe distance and then move once its at least half a metre away, and calmly. If you step on a snake, be well prepared to cop a bite from you toe to your head regardless of what study percentages suggest. If you get bitten, hopefully on a limb and not on the face, tie it off with cloth, vine..whatever and don't move. Hopefully you have a source of contacting emergency in your backpack or a butterknife..

Id also suggest to assess what the snake is doing before deciding any plan of movement or not, at times when its already at your feet, a quick choice is needed.

My ego suggest that the common knowledge is bad information and shouldn't be left to one rule of staying put.

What about the people who have been attacked by cows or eaten alive in feed frenzies like a farmer falling off his ute or just a feed frenzy / charge alone. All I'm saying is that people certainly need to be a lot more open to other choices and sh*t going down at any time and to prepared for anything at anytime. The common sense is just a guideline

I've also stated in another topic that I'm not as concerned about the snakes I can see..

Strange one hey?
I reckon old mate was dead set unlucky, in that should buy a lotto ticket category. Still hot day, direct path, just brushing the blokes leg probably spooked the snake and fangs went out. Wee bit wider stance and no harm done. Cagey bugger. Lucky it wasn't a brown.
I bloody hate snakes, just another reason to put distance between them and me.

AtomRat said:
Wasn't towards you LC76, was just stating an answer from the comments already posted. But it is continuing off what you've said..might seem that way, sorry

This idiot ( not you ) is purposely standing in its way and I wouldn't doubt it to bite the second the snake caught his scent or caught a vibration. ( even 1% chance of its curiosity I wouldn't doubt )

AtomRats guide sais: To not stand in a snakes direct path. To only stand still while the snake is at an unsafe distance and then move once its at least half a metre away, and calmly. If you step on a snake, be well prepared to cop a bite from you toe to your head regardless of what study percentages suggest. If you get bitten, hopefully on a limb and not on the face, tie it off with cloth, vine..whatever and don't move. Hopefully you have a source of contacting emergency in your backpack or a butterknife..

Id also suggest to assess what the snake is doing before deciding any plan of movement or not, at times when its already at your feet, a quick choice is needed.

My ego suggest that the common knowledge is bad information and shouldn't be left to one rule of staying put.

What about the people who have been attacked by cows or eaten alive in feed frenzies like a farmer falling off his ute or just a feed frenzy / charge alone. All I'm saying is that people certainly need to be a lot more open to other choices and sh*t going down at any time and to prepared for anything at anytime. The common sense is just a guideline

I've also stated in another topic that I'm not as concerned about the snakes I can see..
Come on Atom, i mean mate, you 're spreading it as much as others. So you get bitten, treat it as best you can and then don't move. Shite, i dunno about you but if i was alone in the scrub a long way from help and where there was no mobile coverage or without an epirb (which i often am) i reckon i'd be moving instead of waiting to kark it. That's the problem, simple statements without clarification can become fact.

I reckon that ANYBODY taking information from ANYBODY on here or farcebook WHO ISN"T A SNAKE OR FIRST AID EXPERT probably deserves what they get when it comes to burns, crocs, snake bites or anything else that could potentially be life threatening. Don't believe everything you read as well because unless you've got the latest publications you're likely to be doing something that is no longer recognised as best practice. Snake bite safety is a good example imo.

Standing still when confronted by a snake in strike position does work, I know that for a fact, that trick saved me from being bitten by a 6ft Brown when I was a kid. Jumping out of a car to stand in a snakes way probably doesn't work, unless you are looking to get bitten, lol.

Deliberately tempting fate can often have an undesired outcome.

SCROUNGER said:
I reckon that ANYBODY taking information from ANYBODY on here or farcebook WHO ISN"T A SNAKE OR FIRST AID EXPERT probably deserves what they get when it comes to burns, crocs, snake bites or anything else that could potentially be life threatening. Don't believe everything you read as well because unless you've got the latest publications you're likely to be doing something that is no longer recognised as best practice. Snake bite safety is a good example imo.
For interested persons in regards to snake bite in a remote area or if by yourself:
Australian Resuscitation Council - "They should keep immobile until assistance arrives. If they are unable to obtain urgent help to come to them, then apply local pressure if possible, immobilisation is contraindicated and they should move themselves to seek urgent help." Not everyone will agree but I've always been trained to ARC Guidelines which in my opinion should be followed where possible.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1446241497_guideline_9-4-1-july11.pdf
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1446240228_guideline-9-4-8-aug11.pdf
"If you get bitten, hopefully on a limb and not on the face, tie it off with cloth, vine..whatever and don't move. Hopefully you have a source of contacting emergency in your backpack or a butterknife.."
DO NOT apply an arterial tourniquet. (Arterial tourniquets that cut off circulation to the limb, are potentially dangerous and are not recommended for any type of bite or sting in Australia)
What's the butterknife for?? 8)
p.s I'm no expert but I've been qualified in first aid at the highest level possible (OFA/Manage First Aid in the Workplace) for over 10 years & at senior level prior for 6-7 years as part of my job. I live in the country & work 40km out of town with vast areas of bushland where people frequently work. Common sense is your best tool & the old saying "if you see a snake stand still" only applies when that snake isn't coming in your direction, if it is keep calm & move out of it's way while keeping an eye on what it's doing. The snake in that vid did not look to be aggressive at all & only bit when it brushed his foot. Australian snakes will not attack unless they feel threatened, cornered or are provoked by pinheads! Stand in it's way & it will start to feel more threatened by your prescence & cornered as you are blocking it's escape.
In nearly 17 years remote area + first aid work I've never had to treat a snake bite but it's a big part of the training we do due to location & distance from a medical facility.

mbasko said:
SCROUNGER said:
For interested persons in regards to snake bite in a remote area or if by yourself:
Australian Resuscitation Council - "They should keep immobile until assistance arrives. If they are unable to obtain urgent help to come to them, then apply local pressure if possible, immobilisation is contraindicated and they should move themselves to seek urgent help." Not everyone will agree but I've always been trained to ARC Guidelines which in my opinion should be followed where possible.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1446241497_guideline_9-4-1-july11.pdf
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1446240228_guideline-9-4-8-aug11.pdf
"If you get bitten, hopefully on a limb and not on the face, tie it off with cloth, vine..whatever and don't move. Hopefully you have a source of contacting emergency in your backpack or a butterknife.."
DO NOT apply an arterial tourniquet. (Arterial tourniquets that cut off circulation to the limb, are potentially dangerous and are not recommended for any type of bite or sting in Australia)
What's the butterknife for?? 8)
p.s I'm no expert but I've been qualified in first aid at the highest level possible (OFA/Manage First Aid in the Workplace) for over 10 years & at senior level prior for 6-7 years as part of my job. I live in the country & work 40km out of town with vast areas of bushland where people frequently work. Common sense is your best tool & the old saying "if you see a snake stand still" only applies when that snake isn't coming in your direction, if it is keep calm & move out of it's way while keeping an eye on what it's doing. The snake in that vid did not look to be aggressive at all & only bit when it brushed his foot. Australian snakes will not attack unless they feel threatened, cornered or are provoked by pinheads! Stand in it's way & it will start to feel more threatened by your prescence & cornered as you are blocking it's escape.
In nearly 17 years remote area + first aid work I've never treated a snake bite but it's a big part of the training we do due to location & distance from a medical facility.
Thanks mbasko, all solid info, that's what i mean about getting the FULL information. Recipes from old books or 'wives tales' from people on public forums such as this and elsewhere are a sure fire recipe for some innocent (ignorant) reader to make a life threatening mistake.

Nice comment mbasko

Butterknife will cut your limbs better than a rock or stick if it gets to that point.

I never used the word tourniquet because yes, you don't want to amputate the limb...yet.

I guess I just wrote it a little bit sloppy * shrug *

Heatho said:
Standing still when confronted by a snake in strike position does work, I know that for a fact, that trick saved me from being bitten by a 6ft Brown when I was a kid. Jumping out of a car to stand in a snakes way probably doesn't work, unless you are looking to get bitten, lol.

Deliberately tempting fate can often have an undesired outcome.
Theres actually a good YouTube vid by a snake handler (I think it may have been posted on PA) on this. When he moved the brown would rear up into strike position + stay like that until he stopped moving - it then went back down until it seen the opportunity for a hasty getaway i.e. It only "attacked" the snake handler when he prompted it with movement - no doubt seen as a threat by the snake.

Latest posts