Skidplate and coil tape - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WalnLiz said:
loamer and mbasko are off line at the moment, but what they mean is use the tape to seal and hold the cover to the original coil. Not cover the coil with it. ;)

Ahhh....the fog is clearing..... thank Wal, looks like I'll be getting some of that tape

Cheers

Billy said:
flashhunter said:
wats the best thing to remove leftover sticky residue when changing coil tape.

Someone may pull me up on this, but WD 40 is very good at removing sticky stuff. Not sure if it would harm the coil though. Maybe test a little bit and see how you go.
Cheers,
Billy.

g'day billy
not a good idea to use petroleum products on the plastic coils.
there is a citrus based product you can use, its orange and called something like goo remove or something like that, can get it at most super markets
regards trashy

Cheers Trashmagnet and B
I was gonna try wd40 but thought it would affect the new tape aswell because it leaves oily shit behind. I just left it on there I will look for that orange stuff for nxt time thanks.

Sorry Buzz, I only tape the lead to the shaft,...my skid plate is busted and I know I need a new one, but the standard ACE250 coil would be a hassle to put tape around(being a bit small), and just mentioning,...gaffa tape comes in two types, one that has no lead and one that has lead in it,..I always use the lead based tape as it lasts a lot better for the job, and as it's not moving at all it has no effect on the coil input signal (in my case anyway),.. other opinions may differ to mine and results may differ due to detector differences and operator idiosynchronisities(not sure of this spelling,..and neither is spellcheck(ha)),..hopefully some one who uses tape as a skid plate religiously may be able to offer you a more accurate rundown on the whys and what fors of their experiences with tape and coils.
Hope this helps in some small way,
Cherrs(can tell I tried a new drink(getting better now)).
Silver.

Buzz, I have taped my new At Pro coil because I forgot to get a cover when I ordered it. Seems to working ok. Its a 8x11 I think and I used the woven type of tape [green]. As I say it seems to be working ok and I'm still finding heaps of coins at depths of about 10".

Most of the detector shops sell large rolls of the black cloth type tape to suit. Some of my coils covers fit on snugly and don't really require it, whilst others are a loose fit and really need it to stop material from lodging between the coil and the cover. Spider type coils are a bit of a pain to tape up, so I just make an effort to clean them out regularly rather than taping. If gold detecting, I gather you wouldn't want any material entering between the cover and coil, as it may cause some falsing, hence may be wise to tape it up.

Some also sell it in white. I taped some of my coils and not others. I detected for a month all up and when I got home was surprised to find how much dirt and moisture got in between the coil and skid plate on the taped one. I de taped my 11" mono and it was as good as new under the skid plate.

So my answer would be tape them and use the stuff the detector shop sells.

I can't tape inside the spokes of my 18x12 because the surface is too staggered, but the outer circumference is taped after all that's the part of the coil that sees the dirt first. Solid coils are easy, spokes are dependent on profile.

The other aspect is that if you get enough mineralised dirt in there it may affect the detector. I don't know that as a fact, but logic would tell me if I can prevent the risk, then do so.

I tape some of my coils and not others. The solid coils are the ones I tend to tape. I use the smooth sided Duct Tape. I used to smear some silastic around the inside of the coil covers as well. I don't know if it did any good but it didn't do any harm.
Matt

Cheers guys, suppose for the small price it can help protect the coil if your a little ruthless (like I am) swinging and bashing around the ground.

Buzz I taped my new DD coil and had a swing out in the back yard when the new detector came. I was surprised to see the damage with only a few minutes on the gravel so that's why I taped my coil. If it doesn't hurt the coils performance, it will help it to survive longer. May be I'm just ruthless too.

I've just cleaned down my coils and removed the skid plates to give them a good clean down as well. I bought this gear 2nd hand and some skid plates were attached to the coil with tape, while others weren't. I did a quick search on the forum and believe that taping the plate to the coil will help reduce things getting in between the plate and the coil. I also saw mention of using silicone instead of tape.
One of the coils seemed to have electrical tape, while one of the others had some type of tape that was an absolute bast#$d to remove - had to use white spirits to clean the sticky residue off both the plate and the sides of the coil.
Figured I'd throw it out there to see what other members are using or recommending. If you use tape, is there a preferred type?Electrical tape, duct tape, etc.

Thanks in advance for you help with this.

I just use good electrical tape and replace it when it starts to become lose. Use eucalyptus oil to remove old sticky residue but give them a good wipe afterwards to remove any oil film :cool:
The reason i use tape on my coils is because ive had some skid plates that you have to almost break to get them off so to avoid doing so i stop the dirt getting in there in the 1st place .

I went to buy some from the detector shop and they were just selling electrical tape (scotch I think) in another special container. So that's all it is. It's amazing how much dirt gets under the skid plate once the tape starts to fray. Bunnings would be the go.

Ordinary lecky tape, just don't pull it tight when going around the coil. The tighter you pull it the more it wants to pull back.

Sweet. Thanks for the tips. Looks like normal electrical tape is going to be good enough. Thanks for the reminder Whisp - yes, I've been there before - very frustrating.

I know a few blokes that don't use skid plates, but have sprayed their coils with bedliner, which is a rubber type compound.
They are happy with it, but does make them a tad harder swing and rub.

Latest posts