Skidplate and coil tape - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Anger management, I've been using silicon for years to seal my skidplates, I never had any water or dirt between the skidplate and the coil, can you tell me why it should not be used? Cheers, Hermann.

Two reasons I've always steered clear of silicone/silastic:
1. They contain carbon. Carbon is conductive. Not sure of any adverse effects but I don't need anymore especially ones that I can control
2. Moisture can still form under your skid plate even if silicone sealed. If you think getting the tape off is a pain then I would imagine depending on what silicone product you used then it would be worse when time comes to remove/replace the skid plate?

P.s. IMO the best electrical tapes to use are the cloth types. I wouldn't recommend the PVC type but each to their own.

P.s.s Some tapes can contain conductive elements too - I guess that's why electrical/insulating tapes are preferred over others.

If you intend to operate in the northern heat electrical tape will just melt and fall off. I've been using Lucoplast from the chemist but we recently bought a couple of different rolls of tape from the detector shop. One, a white cloth reinforced tape from The Prospectors Pick has worked very well in extreme conditions and was well priced. The other is a black, Scotch I think, tape from Reeds Prospecting supplies. I bought it for the NF coil because it needs a stretchy tape for the narrow edge. It seems good but that coil has only had a few hours work so it's hard to tell.

The Commander coil cover fits nice and snug without tape.

That white cloth reinforced tape sounds like the same stuff that was attaching the skid plate to one of my coils. That was the one that was a real bast@#d to remove. I'm not sure how long it had been on, but it was a real pain.
I've bought a fair bit of stuff from Reeds in the past - with no issues, so I would think that they would have the right gear. Good point about some tapes not being abel to handle the heat/humidity. I guess that is where some cheaper electrical tapes will come unstuck - pardon the pun.

Maybe I need to do a little more research into this and try and find a tape that can handle the heat/humidity as that is where the majority of my work will be. It's either that, or just strip the skid plates off the coils on a very regular basis and give them a clean....

Hi Ironman,

A few months ago I replaced the original tape on my Evo coil. You require the same skills as detecting to remove the old tape - go low and go slow Yep, it is a bugger to remove but if it wasnt, the tape wouldnt be doing its job. I replaced it with black electrical tape. Worked OK but only lasted about four weeks. The PVC tape did not have the same tear resistance as the fibre reinforced tape originally used. It was, however, a cheap solution to the problem. Decided to bite the bullet and spend some money on good tape from Detectaden. Its been on for quite a while now. Frayed, dull in colour and full of nicks and marks, its still holding on and has not split or let go. It seems to stick like shte to a blanket which is what you need in this situation. When the time comes to replace the tape, I think Ill sell the detector rather than going through the mental trauma of replacing it. (lol)

Cheers

Les

Moneybox said:
If you intend to operate in the northern heat electrical tape will just melt and fall off. I've been using Lucoplast from the chemist but we recently bought a couple of different rolls of tape from the detector shop. One, a white cloth reinforced tape from The Prospectors Pick has worked very well in extreme conditions and was well priced. The other is a black, Scotch I think, tape from Reeds Prospecting supplies. I bought it for the NF coil because it needs a stretchy tape for the narrow edge. It seems good but that coil has only had a few hours work so it's hard to tell.

The Commander coil cover fits nice and snug without tape.

Both of those tapes are electrical insulating tapes. The white would be cloth tape & some brands come in black or white. Both are heat resistant.
Example:
https://www.reedsprospecting.com.au/shop/detail/coil-tape-/
The black tape for the Evo coils is 3M Super 88 a professional grade electrical PVC tape also heat/weather resistant.
Example:
https://www.reedsprospecting.com.au/shop/detail/nugget-finder-super-88-coil-tape/
You can buy them cheaper than detector shops sell it but it's probably just as convenient to get it if you're there or ordering other gear.
Edit:
Leukoplast contains zinc oxide which is a semiconductor. Not a great conductor like gold or copper but not an insulator either. I wouldn't use it but each to their own.

I use the black fabric stuff from coiltek Maryborough for my elite and the 3m super 88 for the good lady's evo. the 3m stuff doesn't last as long as the black but yes you need it for evo's. the trick is to replace it before it gets too worn otherwise it is a bugger to remove and if you have any moisture or grit in the skid plate you can get some interference noises come through which take ages to diagnose unless you are aware of this problem. in reality it's cheap enough to keep the tape fresh, I do mine about every 8 to 10 weeks of detecting time.

Mine is full of dirt n cracked n split n taped in spots to just hold it on..... nit that mine needs tape at all, cause it's held fast with hard pack n small rock grains from day dot till now. I tried to get it off once but ya just can't budge it. Probs it helps me score my targets betterer anyhows. :Y:

silver said:
Mine is full of dirt n cracked n split n taped in spots to just hold it on..... nit that mine needs tape at all, cause it's held fast with hard pack n small rock grains from day dot till now. I tried to get it off once but ya just can't budge it. Probs it helps me score my targets betterer anyhows. :Y:

Nice. I wish I was in the same predicament as you.

#9 hermann

Silicon only sticks if you prep all the surfaces correctly and even then it is not the ideal solution.

1515505546_2016-10-31_15.31.55_medium.jpg

Another pic

1515505546_2016-10-31_15.32.04_medium.jpg

I refuse to work on / repair any machine where some one uses SI to stick on their skid plate. It says a lot as to their understanding of their machine / maintenance and the physics / mechanics involved with detecting. Silicon is not a one stop shop. It has some great uses and can save the day, but it is not a cure all regardless of what the masses may say on FB.

Hi All, I think my hearing is fading away a little bit, I saw on Facebook Wazzas Eyespy , any body tried this device? I'm concerned how to wire this thing up.

Looks like it could be a good thing for people who can't hear so well, but it might also be game changer for detecting those spots where the emi is over the top. A mate of mine has just got 1 and will hopefully get a chance to use it while I'm still over in GT. I think he has Monday off. I'll keep ya posted how it goes.

Okay, so I'm back home the land that gold forgot and have data again. So here is what happened. My mate set up the eye spy as per instructions which are included. (Before this it's worth noting a few observations. Although he was told it didn't come with batteries, it came with rechargable 9v batteries and a charger. The charger had plugs of the type used overseas but also came with an adapter to be able to use it. It was a poor fit and I'm not sure it was the right adapter for use in Australia, however it did work. My mate gave it a charge but not fully. The build quality looks a little cheap with plug fittings glued into the plastic housing. But it is still a works in progress as I understand it. After setting it up on his detector, a GPX 5000, he said the mounting bracket needs to be angled back a little.) We went out to a spot we have pulled some gold out of before that has a very strong emi pulse courtesy of a buried telstra cable running through the area. Old mate fired up the 5000 and after a quick set up of the detector dialled in the eye spy. The eye spy light only came on when a target was encountered and remained unaffected by the copious emi, which could be heard through the headphones which were also plugged into the adapter supplied with the eye spy. A metal fitting in the headphone adapter jack supplied with the eye spy kept falling out along with the headphones lead (ss300 headphones no problems with them). This fell out 2 or 3 times, although it didn't effect the operation of the eye spy. It did what Wazza said it does, lights up when a target is encountered and was unaffected by emi. The light is pretty visable and is quite noticeable when it lights up or flashes as you pass the coil over a target. There are a few bugs to be worked out in regards to adapters and fittings but the unit itself worked fine until the batteries went flat. They weren't fully charged so I don't know how long you might expect to get out of them on a full charge. Anyway that's my brief experience with Wazzas eye spy, and I will let you good people make up your own minds on if it might be suitable for you. Cheers Andy. :)

Hi all interested and concerned about Chewys report on my EyeSpy. The units are not glued together with plastic plugs the base is screwed on and the screws are coated in silicon for warranty purposes. The square power socket also has silicon around it to stop dust and moisture entry. My cable from the battery is 1.5 meters long and my fittings do not just fall out by any means unless pulled. Maybe the issue is the headphone cable length? The customer also bought a rechargeable battery charger and batteries from me as an extra and was told it was a cheap overseas unit. Its working fine as I said it would. The mounting bracket can be bent to suit each operator or detector as it is a universal one. At the right angle for you the light can't be missed in any sunlight. Any further questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Cheers to all Wazza.

More than welcome Wazza.
Brilliant product for those who are hard of hearing.
Feed back is crucial so feed away. :D :D

Hi all I just thought I'd let you also know for those asking about a vibration system. I have that covered and can possibly fit to my EyeSpy as a extra later this year. Can make it work off the original unit but of course there are costs involved. I did a lot of research before the final unit was finished such as according to medical studies green is the last colour you see before going blind so that's why the EyeSpy has that colour indicator and can be seen clearly in direct sunlight. Red pigments are harder I've tried. Its in Gold Gem and Treasure this month so buy your copy and have a look. It does what I have said it can. Cheers Wazza.