Skidplate and coil tape - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
May be a silly question but in my (slow) transition from a panner/sluiced to a swinger (of coils) I've seen mention both here and in other articles of "tape".
My initial assumption is that it must relate to coils, possibly taping around the skid plate/actual coil to keep out dust and dirt.
Is this half correct or am I totally off the track?
Cheers Tom

Some people use tape to do as you mentioned as well as to secure the cable to the detector shaft to prevent falsing. Other than that I'm not sure what else it could be relating to.

A lot of coils actually require tape to keep the skid plate mounted on the coil, my little Coiltek 6" is lined with white tape, whilst others have a bead of white silicone sealing keeping the plate on. Some coils like the ones on the exterras seem to fill up with sand all the time between the coil and skidplate, so you could either tape it, or would probably be easier to run some silicone to seal off those sand catching areas. There is a possibilty of getting iron or minerlisation caught up in the coil gaps, which will make the detector sound off all the time, so it's just a precaution.

One thing I've noticed with the spoked coils like my Coiltek 18x12 is that it has tape around the outside but not on the spokes. It would be difficult to tape this area, so dust can get in. So apart from keeping the skid plate in place kinda defeats the purpose.

I've seen coils that have been tapped up with no noticeable side affects. It's probably no difference to using a plastic coil cover.

Tesa tape is the best tape to use. Good for taping your coil lead etc. too without leaving a sticky residue on everything.

I have seen or read somewhere that other tapes can damage the coil surface & are a pain in the ass to get off. Not sure about affecting actual performance though. I've only ever used the tesa tape & never had an issue with removal etc.

https://www.reedsprospecting.com.au/shop/detail/coil-tape-/

Edit: to be 100% sure run your coil over any other type of tape first just to make sure its not conductive. Personally I would just go with the tesa tape.

I got a roll of tape from Coiltek in Maryborough, (it's in the shed so not sure of the brand, will check tomorrow if asked)

All of my coils are taped on the edge where the skid plate meets the coil. It pretty well seals the skid plate stopping dust and dirt and moisture.

Sometimes dirt especially mineralised soil will interfere with the detector. Its a cheap way of preventing this and saves taking the plate off to clean.

Ideally it will last as long as the skid plate does and when the plate is replaced new tape can be applied.

Just wondering...The duct tape used around the edge of your coil.. can I use any duct tape or does it have to be a particular type.(eg: anti-static,etc) thanks for any advice.....

the stronger the better is the key. black duct tape (100 mile an hour tape) is probably best and seems to be what most manufacturers use. the dealers usually sell it. great stuff.

thing with tape - ensure there are no holes, not even small ones as small dirt particles can get in with wear and tear and build up against the coil. the inspection of skid plates should be a daily SoP.

geez, you fellas dont muck about...haha.. thank for the advice..looks like i can use any cloth reinforced tape.( what Id call duct tape, got the cotton/fibres going through it..) and replace it regularly.. cheers

thats the one mate - green or black. only other tip? where the tape ends, do it at the back of the coil - its a weak point in the tape and if at the back won't unravel as much as the front and sides bear the brunt of contact with rocks, bushes, dirt etc etc.

Yeah that's the stuff - what I call duct tape is that horrible PVC stuff that I wouldn't put anywhere near my coils.

thats a good tip loamer thanks...Im glad I was using the right tape as ive already done my 3 coils.. ha..

flashhunter said:
wats the best thing to remove leftover sticky residue when changing coil tape.

Someone may pull me up on this, but WD 40 is very good at removing sticky stuff. Not sure if it would harm the coil though. Maybe test a little bit and see how you go.
Cheers,
Billy.

Curious,
loamer and mbasko, are you using the tape instead of a coil cover, or in addition to a coil cover? I just bought a new low end detector and got a coil cover for it, should I be using tape as well?
This place never stops giving.
Thanks in advance.

Latest posts