Skidplate and coil tape - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes mb that what i heard too and like u said i just comes in handy for other things but no matter if it's 2300 or the seven i use them like bulldozer and i rub both on the ground specially when pinpointing

Ded Driver said:
the way I see it is, the tape sold by prospecting supplies/shops is just good quality cloth tape, at a "marked up price".
It needs to be fairly tough, a good adhesive that is still easily removed, & importantly transparent to EMF.
I think any good quality cloth tape fills this criteria, & I use Bear Brand with no issues. Ive even tried the PVC duct tape with no apparent effect on performance, but it doesn't stay stuck down like the cloth tapes.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-ran...VghiPCh3ZCgWiEAAYASAAEgLDG_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sensor safe silastic. Use once for the life of the skidplate.

Flatlander said:
what the brand of that salastic where can u get from that not a bad idea thanks

I should have said sensor safe silicone. Permatex is the one I use, was recommended by a mechanic who detects. Brilliant. There are other brands. Autobarn, supercheap, repco etc. Different size containers up to a cartridge for a silastic gun. Properly done uses very little and will see out a skid plate. I am a scrubber.

i would be interested to see a sensitivity comparison using silicone vs tape
Ive long know that silicone rubber does contain elemental Silicon & can also contain a Tin based curing agent, & sometimes other compounds depending on the intended purpose, & so i dont use it just as a precaution. Its obviously not anything like having a piece of sheet metal near your coil.
The influence would probably be very small, but would be interesting to see how much, if any effect.
https://www.simtec-silicone.com/curing-speeds-silicone-rubber/

Ded Driver said:
i would be interested to see a sensitivity comparison using silicone vs tape
Ive long know that silicone rubber does contain elemental Silicon & can also contain a Tin based curing agent, & sometimes other compounds depending on the intended purpose, & so i dont use it just as a precaution. Its obviously not anything like having a piece of sheet metal near your coil.
The influence would probably be very small, but would be interesting to see how much, if any effect.
https://www.simtec-silicone.com/curing-speeds-silicone-rubber/

No effect I am told. This is the stuff they use around car computers, sensors etc. Hence the name sensor safe.

Ded Driver said:
Rockwall, 'sensor safe' refers to the low fumes/emissions when its hot, & wont harm things like the O2 sensor in the exhaust, or the MAF, vaccum etc, or anywhere the air/gas flow passes over a sensor.

Ok. Assuming isn't smart. :Y:

OK, I'm a bit pedantic about keeping sh!#e out of my skidplate but a couple of times when I've been out in the field I've had trouble getting the tape to stick, I've always used Bayer tape which is normally great, clearly it's not as easy to clean the coil and skidplate as it would be if you were in your shed at home but is there a tape that is especially made for this?

Nugget Finder Coil tape is the best I've used yet. In the past I've bought it from Nenad and Lucky Strike. :Y:

I find my coil/skid plate wear on the bottom and top edges of the coil/shid plate. To me the standard coil tape around the coil vertical edge does not protect the top bottom edges of the coil/skid plate

I use electrical tape (not black) and wrap 1/2 the width of the tape around the outside edge of the skid plate and 1/2 up the bottom side edge of the coil. Twice. Do the same to the top edge/side of the coil and then finally 2 wraps around the vertical edge of the coil that ensures the 1/2 wraps (top and bottom)on the edge dont move.

After taping with Trex kevlar tape from bunnings I spray the bottom and sides with Septone Stone Guard from Supacheap Auto
. It is an underbody hi build rubbery layer designed to protect car against gravel rash.

Needs to set for a few days before using. Looks crappy after a few trips but a quick spray on the coil edges and back in business. No more coil cover replacements.

for me it works out less than 1/4 cost of new coil covers.

Always annoys me that covers are not 3x as thick on the bottom edge curve where you get most wear.

Latest posts