Selling gold - how, why, where

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a few Ebay Auctions in the last few months and each time the panning fine nuggets go for about $85 a gram, no matter what the amount. These are not desperate auctions, but more the opportunity to "trade up" so to speak. Do you sell your Gold?

HippyProspecting said:
I have not sold any of mine. I have thought about it a couple of times but I can't bring myself to do it.

I will just keep squirreling it away until the wife finally breaks my spirit and makes me sell it off

As i say, I am trading up each time, perhaps a specimen or something a bit different.

Haven't sold any and hope I never have to, donated some fines last year to the annual gold bash for charity though.
Promised the granddaughter that my gold will be passed down to her when I'm gone as she took a real interest in prospecting a few years back.

I doubt I would want to sell sizeable nuggets, especially big ones, I am just talking about panning stuff fine/nuggets. I guess I am also stating I was surprised by the price, very consistent

I can't hold onto it for too long. I see it as a security risk and we like to spend the money so most of our gold is sold off. I sold some big ones too cheap by todays prices but then we got the right price on the day and none of us have a crystal ball. Who knows I could fall off the perch tomorrow and I wouldn't have got to enjoy spending it :)

Moneybox said:
I can't hold onto it for too long. I see it as a security risk and we like to spend the money so most of our gold is sold off. I sold some big ones too cheap by todays prices but then we got the right price on the day and none of us have a crystal ball. Who knows I could fall off the perch tomorrow and I wouldn't have got to enjoy spending it :)
Fall off the Golden perch?

Smoky bandit said:
I've only managed to find 10g Gympie gold so far.
All little specs and dust that have been melted into 2x 5g buttons.
Wish I could find enough to sell a bit off :lol:
I did buy a .5 "button" for detector testing, it was only later I noticed a disclaimer "may not all be solid gold" made me think perhaps melted computer gold or something else?

Not necessarily DG, could well be made from nuggets or dollied species as they are never pure gold. For example, I sold a button a couple of weeks ago and it went 93.98% Au and 4.39% Ag which is pretty good as far as I am concerned. There are lots of places where nuggets only assay around 85% Au.

The worst result I got was years ago, from a daggy looking 4oz specie that only went about 66% Au from memory. It was one of the first bits of gold I found. It was with an A2B around 1985 I guess. It looked like a giant sandwich ice-cream. The wafers were quartz and the middle was 'gold'. I still remember it weighed 124g all up and I dollied 119g of 'gold' out of it.

Stingray said:
Not necessarily DG, could well be made from nuggets or dollied species as they are never pure gold. For example, I sold a button a couple of weeks ago and it went 93.98% Au and 4.39% Ag which is pretty good as far as I am concerned. There are lots of places where nuggets only assay around 85% Au.

The worst result I got was years ago, from a daggy looking 4oz specie that only went about 66% Au from memory. It was one of the first bits of gold I found. It was with an A2B around 1985 I guess. It looked like a giant sandwich ice-cream. The wafers were quartz and the middle was 'gold'. I still remember it weighed 124g all up and I dollied 119g of 'gold' out of it.
Do you still get current price for gold in weight if it has low purities?

I generally sell to the Perth mint refinery. The amount of impurities is irrelevant - you get paid for the amount of fine gold in the button and at their official gold price per ounce for 'scrap gold'. It is slightly less than the official gold price at the time. You also get paid for the fine silver content. You have to pay refining costs though. I have attached an edited memorandum of outturn so you can see what I mean
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/7745/1643968797_editted_outturn.pdf

Sold or held at the end of the day we only amount to being keepers of gold until we fall off the perch, well after we're gone it will continue to hold its value.

I've never sold, every bit, piece, grain I find will go to the kids and grandkids beit as is or made into jewellery. I've bought pieces and will sell when I feel the need, they hold no sentimental value.

Turning the gold I find into jewellery or a creation of sorts with the kids having input puts it into the sentimental bracket where the monetary value is insignificant. Passing it on will hopefully see some hold sentimental value for generations :beer:

If you are married then I suggest you put some of your precious towards some jewellery for the wife, like this ring I had made for mine.
Believe me when I say you wont regret it for an instant :heart: :heart: :inlove: O:)
1643975768_8d449a93-946f-4027-9180-73c6f7ec0308.jpg

1643975768_79d5effc-95df-4cb2-93f2-47fbe2c1beb4.jpg

Latest posts