SDC vs GPX with sadie 8x6 anyone compared

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the smaller coils certainly gives the GPX models a boost on the smaller gold....they wont compete with the timing of the SDC. Changing the coil does not change the timing.
The GPX range with a tiny coil, still wont function like the SDC under power lines......the SDC loves nasty ground, if you opt for a tiny coil on the GPX range, you up the intensity to nasty ground.

Food for thought if thinking your going to out do the SDC with coil sizing on a GPX.

Having said that, finding tiny bits of gold with a GPX model is no biggy...its pretty common.

Awesome thanks for the info, yeah once you explain there is more to it then just coils, you
Know that both machines have there place, and that being the reason most serious prospectors have
Both machines,

Thanks mate helps clear it up for others wondering the same thing

Cheers mike

Narrawa said:
While the smaller coils certainly gives the GPX models a boost on the smaller gold....they wont compete with the timing of the SDC. Changing the coil does not change the timing.
The GPX range with a tiny coil, still wont function like the SDC under power lines......the SDC loves nasty ground, if you opt for a tiny coil on the GPX range, you up the intensity to nasty ground.

Food for thought if thinking your going to out do the SDC with coil sizing on a GPX.

Having said that, finding tiny bits of gold with a GPX model is no biggy...its pretty common.

Agree with most of what you say Narrawa except In my experience you up the intensity to emi and noisy ground by going up in coil size...not down. My "sadie" runs far quieter in the hottest WA ground than say a 14" and upwards. Agree with you the GPX won't come close to the SDC on tiny gold...but on the flip side, the SDC won't come close to the GPX on the larger gold....two machines with two different purposes.

Wal.

The SDC won't come close to the GPX on larger, deeper gold but I'd back it for 1 gram plus pieces to 6-8" to be pretty close to it & in some ground even down to 10-12". Once you get over those depths it becomes a one horse race though - but in saying that even the GPX will have depth limits with a sadie or 6" coil on (which is the question). If only using those coils I'd rather the SDC any day but it's the option of putting larger coils on that sets the GPX aside. A must if you spend your time in deeper ground, want more option/versatility in your searching or if searching for virgin patches/ground.
I put a post on here of some flat approx. 1" square bits of tin I got with the SDC down at around 2 foot on mullock heap (fuggets thread). They can surprise you how deep they will go on larger targets. So will the sadie but the big limitation is ground coverage with either.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7997
The gold here was found on ground that had been gone over with the GPX prior (& every other machine since polly put the kettle on). The SDC mopped up gold it/they just don't seem to see. Even a GPZ there only picked up one sub grammer so the SDC's mopped it pretty good.

There is a comparison done by a New Zealand guy using a 45 and a sdc it was on the other forum I had a look for it but was unable to find it I ended up getting a sadie myself after watching it have not had much of a chance to use it regards john :)

A GPX in Sensitive Extra and a small mono with give the SDC a run for it's money, but only in mild ground.
I was once detecting in pipeclay with the 5000 and 8" mono, running Sens Extra and got a faint signal. I ran the SDC over it and it wouldn't get a peep. Didn't pick up the signal until I removed a good 3 inches of dirt off. Ended up being a lumpy 0.7 gram bit.

On the other end of the comparison spectrum, I've picked up bits with the SDC that will hardly register on the GPX.

That comparison was done in New Zealand not here. His SDC may not be working properly by what he has written either. Heres another post he made:
kiwijw said:
Today I was detecting in an area where I got numerous signals with the 4500 & NF 14 x 9 combo & again the 2300 didnt register on any of them until a fair bit was taken off the top at which stage the 4500 was sceaming. If I was detecting only with the 2300 I would have got none of them. 8 were gold & totaled 4.66 grams. They were all very faint signals with the 4500 to start with.One was down a bout 300mm or half my pick handle depth & weighed 1.31 grams. So not overly large. Others werent as deep but the gold was a bit smaller being just under the 1 gram mark.I was able to detect in special sensitive extra , & audio in boost, very fast motion mode, gain on FP of 8 stabilizer on 10. I am convinced now that our very mild ground gives no advantage to me using the 2300 & that I would miss a lot of gold if I used it. In fact today I would have got none if just using the 2300. Either that or I have a dud 2300. That may be a possibility. I need to compare it along side another 2300 to be sure. I am guessing here but in mineralized ground you may have to dumb down a GPX to get it operating a smooth stable threshold to the point that the 2300 must then come in to its own & do better on the small shallow gold than the GPX.

In my experience you up the intensity to emi and noisy ground by going up in coil size...not down.
Small coils will intensify your ground handling, the bigger the coil the better the means when it comes to GBing....meaning, the bigger the coil the better it is at averaging the ground....not so with smaller coils. Smaller coils will highlight hot rocks far more than a bigger coil. It is what it is by design. EMI is a different thing.... Meaning...EMI is not always present, but the ground never changes.

A GPX in Sensitive Extra and a small mono with give the SDC a run for it's money, but only in mild ground.
The GPX in any one of the smooth timings has an advantage over the GPX range using S/Extra....meaning...the s/extra timing does not have the ability like that of the smooth timing to null nasty ground. Hence the reason for the smooth class of timings. The smooth timings are better optimized for small gold off the bat compared to anyone of the older timings in the right ground. However, like you say...in MILD ground, s/extra is king.
SDC 3000 cycles per sec compared to the fastest smooth timing of the 5k.....no comparison in nasty ground.... The SDC rules.

Using the wrong timing over the right ground vs using the wrong coil over the right ground..... The SDC has a none interchangeable coil...the GPX has interchangeable coils, and boasts multiple timings....and was/is the detector before the SDC came out.

Guess we all have our coil choices for hot ground based on personal experience. Hot rocks if in great numbers only need a quick switch from sens extra to enhance and generally problem solved. Never actually been in a situation where there was that many hot rocks to warrant the switch. Chuck some salt into the equation and the smooth class of timings begin to have more relevance. That's the beauty of the GPX's....versatility and a choice of timings.

Wal.

my thoughts on the small vs large mono coil discussion - it really depends on the ground. If the ground is just generally high in iron content, and especially has some salt (even small amounts) then a larger coil will likely run more noisy, and a smaller coil will run better - the main reason being is that a small coil is less likely to saturate. If the ground is generally mild-medium, but has nasty hotrocks in abundance, then the reduced surface sensitivity of a larger Mono will do wonders, whereas a small mono will be picking every hotrock in the paddock.

Now this is all assuming the same timing, Rx Gain etc etc is being used, and the only variable is the size of the coil.

The smooth timings do wonders on ignoring high mineralisation, hot pockets of ground, and hotrocks, but what you will notice in particular with Fine-Gold and to a lesser extent Enhance, is that they still love buried charcoal, and they are more susceptible to EMI. So it can be a bit of toss up when you are in medium mineralised ground in a area with high levels of EMI - do you use Fine Gold, or Sens Extra with a reduced Gain? There's no right or wrong, but in my conditions, a ratty threshold due to EMI can be very counter productive, so I often opt for Sensitive Extra or even Normal, with a low Rx Gain, maybe even Quiet Audio, and then deal with ground noise using the old methods learnt swinging the GP series.

Latest posts