Recommend a detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
That layer above the current creek level sounds interesting.

Thats what I thought, but I crushed a few lumps and got nought. Mind you, my chunkiest stuff so far came from a crevice where I broke up some of the same stuff, so maybe thats where the bigger bits came from?

The old timers seem to have been following a lower layer in the ancient river bed. Heres one of their holes high above the creek. Ive marked the stuff that looks the same as the hot rocks around the creek. It doesnt look red in this crappy photo but it is.

m8a8JAB_d.jpg

Judging by the extent of the carefully hand stacked stone walls and sluice channels carved into bedrock, they must have been finding good gold here.

TheMediocritist said:
mbasko said:
That layer above the current creek level sounds interesting.

Thats what I thought, but I crushed a few lumps and got nought. Mind you, my chunkiest stuff so far came from a crevice where I broke up some of the same stuff, so maybe thats where the bigger bits came from?

The old timers seem to have been following a lower layer in the ancient river bed. Heres one of their holes high above the creek. Ive marked the stuff that looks the same as the hot rocks around the creek. It doesnt look red in this crappy photo but it is.

https://i.imgur.com/m8a8JAB_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=High

Judging by the extent of the carefully hand stacked stone walls and sluice channels carved into bedrock, they must have been finding good gold here.
Been up for a look around there a while a few months ago and theres some promising looking ground. Didnt have the tectors with me unfortunately.

Ridge Runner said:
Again, This is Not an Impact Thread or a Gold Racer Thread,

It is a MINELAB Gold Monster 1000 Thread

Well I guess I made my decision for now, but I cant change the thread title. And although Im committed to learning the Gold Monster (not much to learn really) and getting the most out of it, Im open to alternatives and opinions.

My suspicion is that the Gold Monster uses relatively heavy signal amplification and noise suppression to make it a point and go device. Perhaps this comes at the expense of losing faint warbles that could be heard and chased with other detectors?

Anyway, work is stressful lately and they owe me some hours so Im planning to take a day off tomorrow and head an hour and a half north to a creek with a history of larger alluvial nuggets and a few hard rock mines on the ridge above. Thatll give the GM some different dirt and rock types to try out.

TheMediocritist said:
Ridge Runner said:
Again, This is Not an Impact Thread or a Gold Racer Thread,

It is a MINELAB Gold Monster 1000 Thread

Well I guess I made my decision for now, but I cant change the thread title. And although Im committed to learning the Gold Monster (not much to learn really) and getting the most out of it, Im open to alternatives and opinions.

My suspicion is that the Gold Monster uses relatively heavy signal amplification and noise suppression to make it a point and go device. Perhaps this comes at the expense of losing faint warbles that could be heard and chased with other detectors?

Anyway, work is stressful lately and they owe me some hours so Im planning to take a day off tomorrow and head an hour and a half north to a creek with a history of larger alluvial nuggets and a few hard rock mines on the ridge above. Thatll give the GM some different dirt and rock types to try out.

It's a Great Machine and even if you move up to a PI you will still need the GM, it's the perfect machine for grubbing around rocky out crops and old mining site and a whole lot more, Detecting in such areas with a PI will drive you nuts at times digging junk so that's when the GM comes in to it's own.

I don't think you realize just how good the GM is, It has been quite a few years since the detecting world has seen such a productive VLF (LF) machine, Including the GM only 3 or 4 spring to mind,

As for the point and Go bit, it seems that all the productive VLF's employ the same reasoning, No frills just a get on with the job type setup, which means less time wasted trying to find the Ideal setting and more time detecting, and every time you have doubts just go and look at 7.62's & Co's pictures.

You made the right choice for sure.

J.

TheMediocritist said:

You picked a good machine, I would stick with it for a while. Even with it's simplicity it does take a while to learn how to get the most out of a detector.

oldtimerROB, Couldn't help noticing your post where you stated that Maldon is not a nugget area. With the greatest respect, you couln't be more wrong. You obviously have little knowledge of this area or its nugget history. My best effort to date is a 27oz nugget found in the Maldon Muckleford area, and a number of patches, the best being 30 ozs.

Reg Wilson said:
oldtimerROB, Couldn't help noticing your post where you stated that Maldon is not a nugget area. With the greatest respect, you couln't be more wrong. You obviously have little knowledge of this area or its nugget history. My best effort to date is a 27oz nugget found in the Maldon Muckleford area, and a number of patches, the best being 30 ozs.

Reg how big is the physical size of a nugget of that weight ?

J.

Northeast said:
Thanks for piping up Reg. I wanted to pass on what youd told us but thought you would clear things up.

RR - about the size of my palm when I held it about 3 months ago. Maybe a bit smaller than a potato cake.
It was a beautiful thing :party:

Awesome, Thanks for that, it's good to hear that there are still some big ones still out there, :Y:

I don't think any of the nuggets in the thread attached are the one that I held but it does show a few in the 20, 27, 35 ounce range. Give you an idea of size.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4335-the-reg-wilson-gold-album/

Absolute thrill to hold a nugget like that and very appreciative of Reg for allowing and trusting me :Y:

Can only hope I get to lift one with similar heft out of a hole that I've dug one day :party:

A couple of guys at work just bought Gm1000's due to a couple of successful blokes shown on the first page that they follow on social media.

I followed it up out of interest and they say they only use the 5" and run them hot and noisy but learn the target signals from the general noise. I'd probably think the machine was unstable and you can't detect like that if I walked past but they certainly are coming up with the goods so don't stress if you get a few beeps and squeals.

I'm looking forward to having a go with one just for fun.

Normally VLF detectors go crazy out the GT ways. A respected Minelab dealer recently told a mate and I that the GM is useless in the golden triangle, So yeah not sure what's going on. Anyways good luck mate, I'm just confused about the GM, I've heard bad stories and more recently good ones. Maybe just operator or area or both?

Wimbo said:
Normally VLF detectors go crazy out the GT ways. A respected Minelab dealer recently told a mate and I that the GM is useless in the golden triangle, So yeah not sure what's going on. Anyways good luck mate, I'm just confused about the GM, I've heard bad stories and more recently good ones. Maybe just operator or area or both?

The key to running a VLF out there is either reduce the gain or fit a smaller coil and try and work with the Gain up higher. There are places where you can run bigger coils with higher gain, mainly in areas where the mullock heaps are, Knowing the machine is a big help so anyone who is planning on using a VLF out that way would be well served to practice as much as they can in many areas using tiny bits of lead in different soil condition before going on their big trip.

j.

Finding rusty interesting iron beats lead shot and foil any day! But of course yellow is best

Latest posts