Recommend a detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
malri_au said:
Not used one of those gold monsters, but from these 2 videos i'm not too impressed.

These videos are rubbish, the makers of them have no idea how to use the detector.

There is nothing wrong with the Gold Monster as an entry level VLF machine, it will find gold in the Victorian Goldfields.

However, the Gold Monster was not made for Australia, it was specifically designed to meet market demand in Africa.

For the price of a Gold Monster, or less you can buy three other VLF machines that are as easy to use and perform as well.

It all comes down to user preference and the features that you want in the detector.

The OP chose the Gold Monster, he's got a good machine in his budget. Anyone saying the Gold Monster is not a good VLF machine just doesn't know what they're talking about.

malri_au said:
seeing the gold earlier in the thread,you wouldn't believe they're the same machine,the coil might be key,i noticed your mates that is finding gold has a different coil?

looked it up,its an additional 5" DD coil,i'd expect that to snipe small gold similar to my BH,albeit at 45khz,which is quite nice.

The Gold Monster comes with two coils.

so why didn't anyone link a video saying,nah,check this out?

i agree,those blokes aren't the sharpest tools,it took them long enough to pinpoint.

like someone else has told me via pm,they didn't have it set up right.

fair enough.

did anyone say that?

my point was about the coil,that the gold found in previous post was using the 5" and not the 10x5 in the video/s.

you even went on to re-iterate that,all that gold was found with the 5".

and yes,i agree the video's are crap,from a newby perspective,and they didn't set it up properly.you don't ground balance next to a target right? :rolleyes:

the video's where as much a question as an answer,to look at the 5" coil for small gold.

Ok i have a gm1000 and have nothing but good things to say abut it
I read and studied everything i could find and asked questions on here that were answered to the best of everyones knowledge at that stage
As i have said it picks up everything
Now before this thread gets closed i might suggest that every one pulls their head in and behave
If you dont like a post the ignore the bloody thing like i do or does that make me some sort of gutless prick because i wont retaliate
This is not a kindergarten this is an adult forum I am here to learn and help when i can and if people on here cant do the same then move on somewhere else
Ok rant over

Maldon Gold Centre said:
The Gold Monster comes with two coils.

yep,didn't realize that,least you don't have to buy it. by additional I meant optional,but true,i didn't realize it came with it.my bad,i don't sell detectors?.

malri_au said:
my point was about the coil,that the gold found in previous post was using the 5" and not the 10x5 in the video/s.

Both coils supplied with the Gold Monster work well, are well matched to the machine and will find gold.

The Gold Monster comes with both 5" DD and the 10x6" DD.

Here's a great video by Nenad from Phase Technical and he is a guy who knows what he's on about.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwW5KwNCLNg[/video]

I really don't understand the negative comments in this thread about the OP's choice of a Gold Monster. It's a good machine, proven in the Victorian Goldfields and will definitely do what it says on the box.

Disclaimer: I don't sell Minelab machines but I still think the Gold Monster is a good machine at that price point.

smaller coil = smaller gold,is that wrong?

I respect Nenad and know of him for a long time. Guaranteed that video rocks.

I never said anything other than wtf is up with it in these videos,unimpressed,try 5" coil? ( and that was not even knowing they had borked the set-up.)

I even said with the 5" dd it looks damn fine,especially when you see the nugget spread shown with it.

my personal choice is just that,personal choice,why is that a bad thing in context with the thread?

I have locked the thread and will clean it out tomorrow.
Some pretty hard words said here.

Thanks Tathradj.

Ive been practising in the backyard. The Gold Monster finds small gold:
hgDOG6K_d.jpg

Also picked up $2 under the clothesline. :D

My VLF 6" concentric coil is almost as hot as a 50khz machine fitted with a DD, where there is very little difference between the two..

yeah i'm not debating that it finds small gold,could see that from previous nice post with finds,my bounty hunter 7khz with a 4" DD coil has just proved useful in pointing out my flaky sd2000.

i've got my coil this afternoon to find my sd2000 is borked,there's too much EMI around,or balance is way out.

i'm testing using a little pc screw @ .10g being detected clearly,versus a nugget of .59g not being detected at all,even with rubbing it against the coil.

went and bought a 8" minelab mono as per jack lange's advice,no difference,apart from being a bit noisier being a mono vs the standard 11" DD.

the bounty hunter picks em both up loud and clear.

it's not all rosier on the PI side of life with an oldie heh.

might pull it apart later,see if there's a loose connection or something bad inside.

to others in the thread I may have offended and vice versa,sorry guys,i didn't want to steer it that way or try make it that,if we can put water under the bridge that'd be great.

I Thank You for your apology. :) :)
You seem too be a wealth of knowledge your self. :D
As long as the water under the bridge is crystal clear and full of
tasty morsels we can digest, :Y: :Y:
All will be good. :cool:
Doug.

malri_au said:
yeah i'm not debating that it finds small gold,could see that from previous nice post with finds,my bounty hunter 7khz with a 4" DD coil has just proved useful in pointing out my flaky sd2000.

i've got my coil this afternoon to find my sd2000 is borked,there's too much EMI around,or balance is way out.

i'm testing using a little pc screw @ .10g being detected clearly,versus a nugget of .59g not being detected at all,even with rubbing it against the coil.

went and bought a 8" minelab mono as per jack lange's advice,no difference,apart from being a bit noisier being a mono vs the standard 11" DD.

the bounty hunter picks em both up loud and clear.

it's not all rosier on the PI side of life with an oldie heh.

might pull it apart later,see if there's a loose connection or something bad inside.

to others in the thread I may have offended and vice versa,sorry guys,i didn't want to steer it that way or try make it that,if we can put water under the bridge that'd be great.

Got a field test in.

30R6Taq_d.jpg

The 22 shell was about 5cm down and screamed, the little bit of lead (probably bullet shrapnel?) was a bit over 10cm and gave a consistent strong non-ferrous signal. The bit of vintage aluminium was over 30cm down in a washed out old race and screamed gold. Not pictured are various bits of rusty fencing wire.

I ran it on all metal manual setting at 8 or 9 because it was unnervingly quiet using the discrimination mode.

Down in the creek it was picking up nothing but signalled non-ferrous if I put the coil on or in the water. I gave it away and panned out a couple of likely looking crevices and got next to no joy. So I moved up the creek, swinging over and around everything. Nothing but that damned can top and a few little hot rocks on the surface (strong ferrous signal).

Then I came to a natural set of riffles in bedrock (just downstream from the last photo), and a patch of sand that gave a consistent weak (2 to 3 bar) gold signal. I dug half a pans worth of surface material and got a lot of little specks in it, like 30+. 6 is normally a good pan in this creek. So I stopped and spent the afternoon cleaning out about a quarter of one crevice. Specks in every pan, a few small flakes, nothing of any size.

On the way back to the car I came across a quartz seam that gave moderately strong mixed signals, so I grabbed a small sample for crushing. Other similar looking seams didnt get any response.

Overall, Im feeling pretty positive. I think the little bit of lead is the most encouraging sign.

I want to make it clear that I do not recommend the Nokta Impact as a gold prospecting detector.

The Nokta Impact is a great general purpose all round metal detector and it will find gold in the right circumstances but it's not my recommended choice to people who want to go nugget hunting.

If someone walks into our store wanting a gold machine, the Nokta Impact isn't on the list of detectors we recommend.

My original recommendation to the OP was Makro Gold Racer.

oldtimerROB said:
If you or anyone else are in very highly mineralised ground they would do theirr dough buying a 56 Khz LF machine. They simply cannot ground balance in that ground.

Thanks. I guess my ground is okay then; I chose a 45Khz detector and it only gets chatty on the highest sensitivity setting.

The area does have some hot rocks - theyre a red sedimentary type that break fairly easily and when crushed turn the water to opaque red ochre. The same stuff is found ~50 meters above the current creek level in a layer between large water worn boulders. These slam hard left (ferrous) on the meter and are ignored if I turn discrimination on.

TheMediocritist, your new GM 1000 detector is a proven gold finder and sounds perfect for the area you're working, have faith and confidence in it every time you go out and it will reward you with good targets. Many people here will have their personal favourites and opinions on what's best and for valid reasons mostly, main thing is you've chosen what suits you and your needs and that's all that matters, learn it as much as you can and it will prove deadly in the right places.

Best of luck :Y:

ProspectorPete said:
My Makro GR is just as good as your Impact in the GT OTR, both have found old chocolate foil and neither has found gold yet, that's not to say they won't but they just haven't .

TheMediocritist, your new GM 1000 detector is a proven gold finder and sounds perfect for the area you're working, have faith and confidence in it every time you go out and it will reward you with good targets. Many people here will have their personal favourites and opinions on what's best and for valid reasons mostly, main thing is you've chosen what suits you and your needs and that's all that matters, learn it as much as you can and it will prove deadly in the right places.

Best of luck :Y:
Hit the nail on the head right there :Y: :D well said :Y:

Latest posts