Recommend a detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheMediocritist said:
Thanks for the advice and help. Ive ordered the Minelab Gold Monster 1000. Will give that a crack and if it doesnt work out, Ill swap it for a Makro.

Congrats on the new machine.

when it turns up and you start practicing with it, cut your self some small bits of lead that weigh from 0.1g down to about 0.02g for test pieces and when you go of detecting take them with you and use them to set up your machine to suit the ground conditions until you get use to it and after a little while you will know of by heart what the ground is doing, I still carry test bits even after all these years just in case weird things start cause me problems which is pretty rare these days but it can happen,

Good luck and HH,

John.

RM Outback said:
Chewy said:
That's just a typical days haul.

:Y: to post 9# that's impressive Chewy he obviously knows his ground so what's a typical day in hours.
That's a great question, I don't know the answer to that. I know the 1st bloke I posted about usually heads out in the mornings and is home by lunchish.

RM Outback said:
Chewy said:
That's just a typical days haul.

:Y: to post 9# that's impressive Chewy he obviously knows his ground so what's a typical day in hours.
Here is a vid from his youtube anyway (bloke from 1st post I was talking about) check out some of his vids. Seems deadly on species. :)[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/1X-fuLQhRnQ[/video]

Home by lunch :Y: that's good going my question was relative to your 1st post the 2nd is self explanatory. I'll check out the video when I've got more time thanks for posting.

Ridge Runner said:
cut your self some small bits of lead that weigh from 0.1g down to about 0.02g for test pieces and when you go of detecting take them with you and use them to set up your machine to suit the ground conditions until you get use to it and after a little while you will know of by heart what the ground is doing

Great idea. Thanks for the advice.

The detector arrived today, and Ive been testing it on the tiny samples of gold Ive panned over the last few weeks.
Its exceeding my expectations in backyard tests, signalling strongly on bits that dont even register on my scales, down to a couple of inches underground. Ill give it a real world test on tailings and in the creek this weekend.

seeing the gold earlier in the thread,you wouldn't believe they're the same machine,the coil might be key,i noticed your mates that is finding gold has a different coil?

looked it up,its an additional 5" DD coil,i'd expect that to snipe small gold similar to my BH,albeit at 45khz,which is quite nice.

seems to be quite the manufacturer fight when you see a pic like this,basically claiming theirs is better:

<makro|minelab|fisher>

1517908253_gold-monster-1000-performance-graph.jpg

malri_au said:
Not used one of those gold monsters,but from these 2 videos i'm not too impressed.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVnqeFOyL0[/video]

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSH3-Sf4IHc[/video]

Anyone can make a YouTube video to show any detector in a bad light - if that's the purpose of it which I assume was in this case. Those vids were discussed previously on the forum & general consensus from memory was they lacked any credibility or merit.
I'd be backing the word of the long time forum members here that are using them or know people using them successfully. For the record I don't own or use one but have been told by one user that the 5" coil is way more sensitive & was the only coil he used. He wasn't overly impressed with the 10x5 on most targets.

like i said,i'm actually pretty much saying the same thing,that the 10x5 might not be the best option.

i'm not bagging the detector at all,it far beats the crap out of my BH at 7khz.

the gold found with the 5" dd is impressive,and perhaps that was half the guys problems in the video,they didn't bother to try alternate coils.

chill winston.

The Goldbug 2 is probably the LF detector most others are compared to due to it's long success (& deserved) but it's not one I'd recommend to a new user in most Australian conditions.
The CTX 3030 being FBS 2 has been used successfully for gold but it isn't noted for prospecting & FBS/BBS is pretty limited to areas of use. There are better, cheaper detectors available for gold prospecting.
As I said that video has been discussed before listing issues with it & the OP has already purchased a GM1000. There was plenty of good detectors suggested by others. Tanty :p

TheMediocritist said:
Ridge Runner said:
cut your self some small bits of lead that weigh from 0.1g down to about 0.02g for test pieces and when you go of detecting take them with you and use them to set up your machine to suit the ground conditions until you get use to it and after a little while you will know of by heart what the ground is doing

Great idea. Thanks for the advice.

The detector arrived today, and Ive been testing it on the tiny samples of gold Ive panned over the last few weeks.
Its exceeding my expectations in backyard tests, signalling strongly on bits that dont even register on my scales, down to a couple of inches underground. Ill give it a real world test on tailings and in the creek this weekend.
Ooh exciting stuff, please keep us posted on how you go Medioc. How good is it unwrapping new stuff. :p :p

Those 2 vids were shown down in the GM 1000 thread in the Minelab detectors section quite a while back.

Unfortunately poor use by the operator does not show the GM in a very good light.

There are a few good write-ups re: setting up and use:

https://www.minelab.com/anz/treasur...r-1000-methodology-manual-vs-auto-sensitivity

https://www.minelab.com/anz/treasure-talk/mastering-the-gold-monster-1000

https://www.minelab.com/anz/treasur...-sensitivity-control-on-the-gold-monster-1000

A search on the detectorprospector forum will also yield some good results.

Personally I've found it a nice, light and easy to use machine. It is not the most powerful, awesome, excellently discriminating beast either - but it's not meant to be ;)

Although there is not much that you can adjust on it, what is adjustable can either make the machine a dream to use or a nightmare. Too much manual sensitivity in Australia, for example, can be a real headache. Trying to run 8 or 9 sensitivity will just pick up every bit of mineralisation and it will go nuts. Either auto or down about manual 4-5 is my happy place.

Also, expect to lose about 50% or your depth in Gold mode rather than All Metal mode. Safer to run in All Metal, lower your sensitivity and use the discrimination scale if you aren't wanting to dig every target.

Hope some of that helps :)

Did anyone mention the stock coil possibly being a bit dodgy?
There's reasons I would choose a gold bug 2.

There's reasons I would choose a ctx3030.

I'm not going to bother.

GB2 and CTX are great choices for a range of detecting scenarios - I never said otherwise??

Just trying to help the fella with the new toy.

And yes, there have been quite a few have issues with the coils. Some have knock sensitivity although ?? if some are just running the sensitivity on max and trying to use is like a PI where you can scrub the ground and bang it around a little. Just can't do that with this one. A few have sent theirs back for replacements with better results.

Can post a few links to other discussions about the knock sensitivity if anyone wants.

Cheers ;)

Both coils are stock with the GM1000. If one was dodgy they could have changed it at any time.
My first post here in reply to your posting the vids was neither said to discredit you or harrass. There is nothing stern, harassing or threatening in anything I said. You jumped to a conclusion/assumption.
My reply to your preferences again nothing there to discredit your own choice but said to shed light on some of the limitations with the GB2 & CTX as gold prospecting tools here in Australia especially for new users who may be reading. You'd be hard pressed to find many recommending either to a new user. Again you jumped to a conclusion/assumption.

If you'd read the whole thread you would have seen that detector options were recommended by some members. The OP made a choice & took delivery today. If I was to jump to a conclusion I might suggest that you posted the vids for no other reason than to sow seeds of doubt after he'd already made his choice? But I didn't do that did I.

The only person who's mentioned anything about being a new member is you malri_au? I've not raised, mentioned or questioned you being a new member once. Go back & read it thanks before carrying on. My references have been only to "new users" as in new detector users of which I do not know or care if you do or don't fall into that category!

Twice today you've told someone to relax or chill and yesterday pounced on me in an email asking "where's the beef" because I took a few details out of my profile info.

Mate you're reading way to much into posts and taking offence where none is intended.

May I suggest you chill and relax

malri_au said:
mbasko said:
Those vids were discussed previously on the forum & general consensus from memory was they lacked any credibility or merit.
I'd be backing the word of the long time forum members here that are using them or know people using them successfully.

so that wasn't calling me out as a 'new member'?

ok,whatever 'bloke'.
No it wasn't.
It was however backing the advice already given earlier in the thread & elsewhere on the forum over + above those vids - some by long standing & trusted members not some niff noffs on YouTube.
The only reason you would possibly take offence is if you made the vids not just posted them.

Latest posts