Recommend a detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry, Im guessing this is the type of post that induces groans from the regulars, but here goes.

Ive got a budget of $1,000 or thereabouts.

I want something that can detect small natural gold (no interest in beach-detecting and the likes). Ive been panning a creek with granite bedrock and stretches of large angular granite floats and rounded boulders. I think these have been shifted during earlier workings. Im picking through the gravels that sit behind and between these rocks and finding plenty of small gold flakes right near the surface, with some bigger chunks a bit lower in some of these deposits. Only some though. And there are thousands out there.

So ideally Id like a detector to help identify which to pan. Im thinking something that can detect 0.2 grams at 2 to 3 inches.

I dont know if hot rocks are an issue in the area (East Gippsland foothills), but there are conglomerate river rocks of dark red/ochre and quartz, so maybe?

Any suggestions? Ive been looking at the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and Fisher Gold Bug Pro. Are either/both of these likely to meet my needs?

Thanks.

You are right, it does get a bit of a groan. Funny thing is, most of us asked the same question at the start ;)

The search feature is your friend. Here and the detectorprospector website have good information.

A few links to get you started. The last one is Steve's very comprehensive Nugget Detector Guide. Just keep in mind it is in US $ :Y:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5177-river-hunting-advice-needed/

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5071-having-a-hard-time-detecting-that-first-nugget/

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

The GM1000 could work but the Fisher is unlikely to - its 19kHz frequency is too low for sensitivity to such small gold. The Fisher Gold Bug II should work though, if you can find a used one.

Thanks Northeast and grubstake. Ill scratch the Fisher off the list and do more reading and research.

Oh... who am I kidding? Ill probably buy the Gold Monster tomorrow. :/

Save your cash,buy the wright detected the first time,for the small gold SDC 2300. It's out off your budget but save and wait it is worth it.

TheMediocritist said:
Any suggestions? Ive been looking at the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and Fisher Gold Bug Pro. Are either/both of these likely to meet my needs?

I would suggest the Makro Gold Racer.

We sell the Gold Bug Pro and the Gold Bug 2 but I think for where you will be detecting the Gold Racer has the edge, it's also sub $1000.

If you've been looking at Gold Bug Pro on eBay, there's alot of cheap counterfeits for sale - so to be safe only buy from an authorised dealer

Maldon Gold Centre said:
TheMediocritist said:
there's alot of cheap counterfeits for sale - so to be safe only buy from an authorised dealer
Of course a dealer is going to say that!! (but I agree :D )

There is also the Equinox coming soon (we hope!) $300 over your limit but will scratch 4 itches with 1 detector. If I had known about the Equinox before I bought the Monster I would definitely have waited. Now do I buy the Equinox and keep the Monster? Sell the Monster? Just keep the Monster and forget the Equinox? These are the major issues in my life that keep me awake :lol:

1517310461_fb_img_1517310394501.jpg
A mate has the monster and I don't think he's gone out and not found gold since he's had it. Get to know it and I reckon you would like it.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
TheMediocritist said:

I would suggest the Makro Gold Racer.

We sell the Gold Bug Pro and the Gold Bug 2 but I think for where you will be detecting the Gold Racer has the edge, it's also sub $1000.

If you've been looking at Gold Bug Pro on eBay, there's alot of cheap counterfeits for sale - so to be safe only buy from an authorised dealer

Thanks for the suggestion and the warning. Id buy from an authorised dealer for sure, and would prefer to deal with a forum member/sponsor if possible. Ill do some reading about the Gold Racer.

Do you think its worth waiting for the Makro Gold Kruzer to be released and tested? Or is that something different and unsuitable? Im pretty clueless about detectors. Clearly. :D

Chewy said:
That's just a typical days haul.

Yikes. If I ever found just a couple of those bits Id think the purchase had been worthwhile. I know that makes no sense economically, I just like finding gold.

TheMediocritist said:
Thanks for the suggestion and the warning. Id buy from an authorised dealer for sure, and would prefer to deal with a forum member/sponsor if possible. Ill do some reading about the Gold Racer.

Do you think its worth waiting for the Makro Gold Kruzer to be released and tested? Or is that something different and unsuitable? Im pretty clueless about detectors. Clearly. :D

I haven't used a Gold Kruzer but the specs look interesting. We should receive our first shipment of them mid to late February.

I'll definitely have one out in the golden triangle the moment I get them in stock.

It all depends how long you want to wait. If you can wait then it might be a good idea to wait and see what reports of the Gold Kruzer come back.

The Gold Racer on the other hand is well tested around here, it finds gold and is very good at finding small gold and specimens. If the Gold Kruzer is as good then being an all terrain waterproof detector will make it a hit. There's a consistently growing user base of Makro Gold Racers in Victoria and you don't see many come up on eBay, which indicates those who have them are hanging on to them.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's proven and that there's enough people with them that you can get advice and assistance when required.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
Chewy said:
A mate has the monster and I don't think he's gone out and not found gold since he's had it. Get to know it and I reckon you would like it.

Just curious. Is your mate detecting in Central Vic?
Yes Ballarat region. Another guy has a monster and does very well with it around the Bendigo region to.

Bought a gm1000 2 weeks ago and found a 0.3g nugget first time out (after months of research). It was inside a piece of quartz.

It also found plenty of bullets and lead in crevices so I'm pretty confident it will find me some gold until i can save up for a PI machine.
From what i have read its good to have both types of machines.

Plus the weight of the gm1000 is awesome, can swing it for hours.

Latest posts