Really Wierd animal scream out in the bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gcause said:
Hi All,

Don't know how to describe what happened to us the other day but here goes.

My wife and I were out around the outskirts of Mareeba the other day about an hour or so outside Cairns heading up towards Granite Gorge.

We pulled up at an outlook on the top of a hill to take some photos and as we got out of the car we suddenly hear this enormous scream coming from the bush below us that sounded like a cross between a man yelling, a cow being strangled and a horse with its legs broken, with the sound of the scream changing in that order as it got louder, and it sounded like they were all trapped down in a hole as it echoed or resounded. But you could tell it all came from the one animal / beast. It definitely didn't sound human whatever it was. It sounded like some large animal of some sort. It sounded big, mean and angry.

We were on a hill and it echoed all around us but definitely came from out in front of where we were standing.

Thats the best description I can give you for whatever it was. It was loud, really loud and it was a long scream, this was followed by the same scream but not quite as loud off in the distance a couple of minutes later.

Following that we hear this knocking noise as if someone was whacking a log against a tree down the hill somewhere in front of us.

Then straight after the knocking stopped there was silence, I mean nothing, the birds who were chirping just a few seconds before just stopped for a few minutes, the only noise was the wind, just silence. It was just weird haven't heard birds just stop singing like that before, it was as if you had switched off a recording it was that quick.

We looked down the hill but couldn't see anything because the bush was so thick.

After about 5 minutes the birds started singing again just as if nothing had happened and we didn't hear any other unusual noises.

We took our photos of the scenery and decided after a couple of minutes more that we had better not hang around and got in the Troopy and hightailed it out of there.

We have never heard anything out in the bush like that scream before and hope we never do again. I know we wont ever forget the experience.

Has anyone else experienced something like that out in the bush or know what animal could have made a scream like that?

Regards,

Grant
the Yowie or Hairy man is what you describe , nv seen it but i had seen an animal 40 yrs ago that is not in the books and it was angry in Nowra west area,all so called legends have some truth to them i assure you fr my exp and im 53 now

Greglz86 said:
Fi and myself took a friend of ours camping on the shoalhaven early this year. He had never been camping before and hes a bit Special when it comes to doing anything outdoors.
He heard grunting though the campsite and when he hit the side of his tent and said "hey" it grunted back at him.
He got no sleep that night lol
We woke up to find marshmallows, shapes and dogfood missing, packets and all.
We seem to think it was a yeti or yowi. Either that or I was sleep walking again :lol:
whe i was 17 seen animal there had body like a bear , head of a wolf sort of, it attacked me and the man i was with hiking he was ex commando and fought it off with a sharp stick it followed until sun up , we told family when in sydney , they all thought we must have been on the weed !!, i went to museum and curators were very interested in exact locvation , i nv gave it so it can be hung on a wall but i can tell ya this it can get to the area you speak of 100% i was 17 now 53 and nv went back there

excelpest2002 said:
gcause said:
Hi All,

Don't know how to describe what happened to us the other day but here goes.

My wife and I were out around the outskirts of Mareeba the other day about an hour or so outside Cairns heading up towards Granite Gorge.

We pulled up at an outlook on the top of a hill to take some photos and as we got out of the car we suddenly hear this enormous scream coming from the bush below us that sounded like a cross between a man yelling, a cow being strangled and a horse with its legs broken, with the sound of the scream changing in that order as it got louder, and it sounded like they were all trapped down in a hole as it echoed or resounded. But you could tell it all came from the one animal / beast. It definitely didn't sound human whatever it was. It sounded like some large animal of some sort. It sounded big, mean and angry.

We were on a hill and it echoed all around us but definitely came from out in front of where we were standing.

Thats the best description I can give you for whatever it was. It was loud, really loud and it was a long scream, this was followed by the same scream but not quite as loud off in the distance a couple of minutes later.

Following that we hear this knocking noise as if someone was whacking a log against a tree down the hill somewhere in front of us.

Then straight after the knocking stopped there was silence, I mean nothing, the birds who were chirping just a few seconds before just stopped for a few minutes, the only noise was the wind, just silence. It was just weird haven't heard birds just stop singing like that before, it was as if you had switched off a recording it was that quick.

We looked down the hill but couldn't see anything because the bush was so thick.

After about 5 minutes the birds started singing again just as if nothing had happened and we didn't hear any other unusual noises.

We took our photos of the scenery and decided after a couple of minutes more that we had better not hang around and got in the Troopy and hightailed it out of there.

We have never heard anything out in the bush like that scream before and hope we never do again. I know we wont ever forget the experience.

Has anyone else experienced something like that out in the bush or know what animal could have made a scream like that?

Regards,

Grant
the Yowie or Hairy man is what you describe , nv seen it but i had seen an animal 40 yrs ago that is not in the books and it was angry in Nowra west area,all so called legends have some truth to them i assure you fr my exp and im 53 now

You may find it hard to believe but it was probably a Curlew, they are a bird about he size of a skinny chook.
We lived in Far Nth Queensland for seven years and the first night I heard one I was certain a woman was being strangled beside our house. I grabbed a torch and ran out to be greeted by a bird with big eyes and a loud voice. Whenever we had visitors staying over I would warn them about the Curlews but an American friend still woke us up at 2am because he was sure a woman was being killed.
The local Aboriginal people associate them with death, I respect their beliefs but don't believe there is any fact to it. One day I was working in my shed, it was a big shed 12mts by 8 mts, when a Curlew walked in and stood beside me about 2 mts away. He stayed with me for about half an hour watching everything I did then just walked out the door and back into the bush. After lunch that day I received a call from my sister informing me an old mate had passed away.
There are lots of native animals with surprising vocals, Koalas can sound like a 100kg bear when looking for a mate and once when hunting up around Guyra I heard what sounded like a very large cat being thottled and it turned out to be an Eastern Quoll.

1540847095_images_1.jpg

Hope it wasnt a Bush Walker that feel down the cliff and was all busted up :eek: Probably koalas though...Or an EVIL SPIRIT :skull: :skull: .. :Y:

Hi Diggit,

I know you've said it was probably a cassowary - but wondering if maybe it could have been a peacock - they make a terrible noise and it has several different stages...

The first time we heard these calling it was quite unsettling...

If you search for peacock sound on YouTube you will find them easily (not up to 10 posts yet - so cannot post a link).

Hi guys I grew up in Ulladulla nsw and have done a lot of bushwalking around the area, especially in the budawang ranges. I also know I bloke that has a property out on Yadboro right at the foot hills to the Castle mountain. He told me stories of Aboriginal tales hearing loud screams coming from the gap between the byangee walls and the Castle mountains.
I was out mountain climbing with my father about 20 years ago and we were up on top of the Castle just sitting there admiring the view, when we decided instead of going back the normal track we'll walk the eastern egde of the mountain before the repell down.
In the distance we saw a large cat, and I asked did you see that, my old man said sure bloody did. We traversed quietly to roughly where it was and came out right at it. We both got a very close look (5m away) at what was a largish cat somewhere between a german shepard and kelpie in height. This thing had big cat fangs good 1.5inches , with stripes on its ribs and spots on it back end. It showed us its fangs and dropped over a 3m ledge out of sight.
I looked it up and the only similar animal was a marsupial lion. Apparently extinct.

Awhile ago I was listening to jjj radio and they had a segment about cat sightings and someone from up northern NSW had reportedly spotted a marsupial lion also.

The wolf like animal that excelpest saw attacked could well have also been a marsupial lion. (Only 20km away from where im talkin about.) Certainly sounds like it.

Who knows what's really out there.. :argh:
1540898050_pigeon.jpg

Man up Gilly47, I say man up!!! :playful:
You've got more chance of dying from a bullant bite
or a jumping jack ant bite, than running into some our other critters out there. :Y:

Rockhunter62 said:
cheers said:
Rockhunter62 said:
Max Gilroy in the Blue Mountains would be able to help but some believe and others don't.

Cheers

Doug

You mean Rex Gilroy !
He is a relative of mine !
LOL

That's him sorry Cheers. Been a while since I looked at the website. :Y:

Doug
All good Doug .
Cheers

Mate is definitely go Yowie. There lots of things that make loud scary screams , even sugar glider sound frightening , but the beating on a tree is a dead giveaway. If you watch any of those Bigfoot shows on Foxtel , or YouTube , the tree beating is a sure sign . Shoalhaven is a one em area for them . Theres quite a few reports of yowie sightings around the shoalhaven .

Latest posts