Really Wierd animal scream out in the bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcause

Professional Life Liver
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Don't know how to describe what happened to us the other day but here goes.

My wife and I were out around the outskirts of Mareeba the other day about an hour or so outside Cairns heading up towards Granite Gorge.

We pulled up at an outlook on the top of a hill to take some photos and as we got out of the car we suddenly hear this enormous scream coming from the bush below us that sounded like a cross between a man yelling, a cow being strangled and a horse with its legs broken, with the sound of the scream changing in that order as it got louder, and it sounded like they were all trapped down in a hole as it echoed or resounded. But you could tell it all came from the one animal / beast. It definitely didn't sound human whatever it was. It sounded like some large animal of some sort. It sounded big, mean and angry.

We were on a hill and it echoed all around us but definitely came from out in front of where we were standing.

Thats the best description I can give you for whatever it was. It was loud, really loud and it was a long scream, this was followed by the same scream but not quite as loud off in the distance a couple of minutes later.

Following that we hear this knocking noise as if someone was whacking a log against a tree down the hill somewhere in front of us.

Then straight after the knocking stopped there was silence, I mean nothing, the birds who were chirping just a few seconds before just stopped for a few minutes, the only noise was the wind, just silence. It was just weird haven't heard birds just stop singing like that before, it was as if you had switched off a recording it was that quick.

We looked down the hill but couldn't see anything because the bush was so thick.

After about 5 minutes the birds started singing again just as if nothing had happened and we didn't hear any other unusual noises.

We took our photos of the scenery and decided after a couple of minutes more that we had better not hang around and got in the Troopy and hightailed it out of there.

We have never heard anything out in the bush like that scream before and hope we never do again. I know we wont ever forget the experience.

Has anyone else experienced something like that out in the bush or know what animal could have made a scream like that?

Regards,

Grant

I don't blame you for getting the heck out of there mate, but it would be interesting to know what was making that horrid noise. Are you planning on going back for further investigation? I know I wouldn't be :lol:

i first thought of a lyrebird but now know they aren't found any more north than around the goldcoast area...thought of a red deer stags screaming roar in the rut but that ends in april, they mash their antlers against small trees to(got video footage)...sound recorder on a phone?...back you go grant :lol: :cool:

It may have been a curlew. Do a google search for curlew call and see if it was what you heard.

Cheers

Gerard

Fi and myself took a friend of ours camping on the shoalhaven early this year. He had never been camping before and hes a bit Special when it comes to doing anything outdoors.
He heard grunting though the campsite and when he hit the side of his tent and said "hey" it grunted back at him.
He got no sleep that night lol
We woke up to find marshmallows, shapes and dogfood missing, packets and all.
We seem to think it was a yeti or yowi. Either that or I was sleep walking again :lol:

gcause said:
Mate I will be right behind you...a good distance behind you...off you go, hope he stays still while you are trying to record him. :D

:lol: :lol: ...ya wuss :lol: :cool:

Mate sounds like an animal fell down a gorge and was injured, then beat a log.....
Yep, not nice to hear a desperate scream like that for sure.

Greglz86 said:
Fi and myself took a friend of ours camping on the shoalhaven early this year. He had never been camping before and hes a bit Special when it comes to doing anything outdoors.
He heard grunting though the campsite and when he hit the side of his tent and said "hey" it grunted back at him.
We seem to think it was a yeti or yowi. Either that or I was sleep walking again :lol:

Mate, the grunt noises your mate heard would have been wild pigs....... Plenty of them around

Uncle Bob said:
Greglz86 said:

Mate, the grunt noises your mate heard would have been wild pigs....... Plenty of them around

Na, it was more fun telling our mate it was a yowi. ;)

GWT said:
It may have been a curlew. Do a google search for curlew call and see if it was what you heard.

Cheers

Gerard
No we have those at were I am staying in Cairns and they make an awful din at night. But they at least sound like birds.

This thing sounded like a nothing I have ever heard. It was a roar more than a scream it was something like a grizzly bear roar it was guttural and deep but it went high pitched at the end and it resonated like nothing I have ever heard before. That's why I described it as a combination of sounds rather than one distinctive sound.

Hi gcause,

Awesome story mate, have you ever heard a koala. I call them creepy koala's or wolverines. They're no sweet cuddly furry animal.
They are a doped up creepy wolverine's. Hiding up in the tree, waiting for bush walkers and sightseeing tourist.
When they growl they sound freaky.

People go missing in the bush, I'd blame the koala. Lol

could have been a big cat a panther a lot of farmers around here talk about animal kills they have found with big claw marks not wild dog kills some thing big is killing animals may be some thing similar up your way :)

20xwater said:
i first thought of a lyrebird but now know they aren't found any more north than around the goldcoast area...thought of a red deer stags screaming roar in the rut but that ends in april, they mash their antlers against small trees to(got video footage)...sound recorder on a phone?...back you go grant :lol: :cool:

20x you may have it right there, there are deer up at Mareeba all over the tablelands. That's what I think it may be! Canadian Elk

Mmmm maybe we have visitors.......

1402780504_imagescaopmo5k.jpg

:D

Latest posts