Queensland (Qld) weather advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys
Its been a long day.
We been trapped in our street all day but finally got to the Daughters house for the night.
1645870061_20220226_132505_copy_1024x2107.jpg

1645870061_20220226_132835_copy_1024x2107.jpg

Every house along our street on the right of the photo went under.
1645870131_resized_20220226_132514_copy_1200x2469.jpg

Just have to wait for the insurance assessment before the clean up :(

Not good smoky, just got off phone from my mate, he lives in block up above the Snap Fitness Gym so he's good. Tells me the traffic lights at the corner of Gym are completely under water and it's lapping the very edge of tennis courts. Thats the intersection where the dog park is on Highway. Figure my place will look like yours by the time i get there :eek:

aussiefarmer said:
I appreciate you blokes taking the time to post , it's good to get 1st hand reports and pictures off this disaster.
I hope you all the best and hopefully the communities spirit will shine in recovery.
I was really shocked at the amount of help offered by total strangers.
One man helped me walk horses to a property 3ks away in water that was mostly waist deep.
Total strangers offering hot showers and a dry bed.
I've never experienced such generosity before.
I've never asked anyone for help as I've always done everything on my own.
But I have definitely lowered my guard abit after today. :Y:

Mackka said:
A lot of water just running out to the ocean in many places, such a waste of a natural resource that could be harvested in many areas.
Mackka

This type of rainfall and runoff is not new to these areas. Nature needs to clean up once in a while but never as much as it does since we've inhabited the land. A good flush can remove/move a lot of salt and nutrients improving soil that has got out of balance. Damming all the streams ruins the natural habitat but we're pretty good at that.

The floods of 1974 gave a clear indication of areas not suitable for housing however money talks so these flood prone areas have huge housing estates and it continues to go on. About 10 years ago they woke up here in WA and caused an uproar when old flood lines were marked like high tide and these areas are closed to housing development.

I really feel for the people living in those areas because many are ignorant of the history of major floods. I was living at Upper Brookfield in 1974 and working at Calamvale on Beaudesert road so I saw some of the worst of it and was amazed to see property development over those same flooded areas in following years.

I can understand when way back they built close to water but there's no excuse for building on a floodplain these days.

Moneybox, i have lived here for 22 years and is the fourth flood that i can remember. Gympie business district hasgone under as the Mary continues to rise. We had 162mm yesterday which would add up to about 500 mm since Tuesday and it hasnt stopped and this morning became more intense. We live on the high side of a creek and we are safe but i did check on my neighbour on the other side and so far he is good. All previous areas of flood Grantham, Lockyer Valley and Brisbane City are experiencing floods and the Brisbane River is very dangerous with debris including Pontoons, watercraft including yachts, cruisers etc that have broken their moorings not to mention large shipping containers, watertanks, wood, trees etc.
All i was trying to say was the loss of water was a waste.
Mackka

On the News now.
calling for the town to be evacuated.

when I was there a few years back with Goldrat,
I remember the topography of the town.
That is a bloody lot of water.

Please stay safe every one.

Mackka said:
Moneybox, i have lived here for 22 years and is the fourth flood that i can remember. Gympie business district hasgone under as the Mary continues to rise. We had 162mm yesterday which would add up to about 500 mm since Tuesday and it hasnt stopped and this morning became more intense. We live on the high side of a creek and we are safe but i did check on my neighbour on the other side and so far he is good. All previous areas of flood Grantham, Lockyer Valley and Brisbane City are experiencing floods and the Brisbane River is very dangerous with debris including Pontoons, watercraft including yachts, cruisers etc that have broken their moorings not to mention large shipping containers, watertanks, wood, trees etc.
All i was trying to say was the loss of water was a waste.
Mackka

That is a crazy amount of rain, hopefully everyone is safe and no more loss of life or too much more damage to homes and businesses. How long are they predicting before the rain passes.

Thanks RM just read on the news Milton , Fairfield, Tenerife are flooding and the underground carparks in New Farm ( Brisbane City) are now flooded.
Schmokey, i am so sorry mate and hopefully the insurance will be swift and get you back in.
Mackka

Neighbours house is now being inundated with water from the creek and road is impassable. I asked the Council to clean it out 12 months ago but nothing happened.
Mackka

The Gimp went under six times in the first five years I lived there, one month they had just moved everything back into Mary street only to have to move it back out again within a week. Mary was at 22.9 metres earlier today but had receded a little but they are pretty sure it will go higher as the downfalls south of the Gimp start to come thru. Anyone that knows the Aldi in Gimp, you can basically just jump off the car park into the water.
To give you an idea of the mass of water here is a shot of when they were building / extending the Aldi car park. Long way down to the road :eek:

1645941658_aldi_gympie.jpg

Mackka said:
Hey Bicter, just letting you know that the Bruce Highway is closed between Caboolture and Caloundra and will be for a few days i reckon.
Mackka
Thanks Mackka, we ended up cancelling. Motel rang us and asked if we wanted to cancel as they had a lot of people desperate for accommodation due to the hwy closure.

Latest posts