Peacekeeper's Debriefings.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, very interesting stories, Peacekeeper.

On the subject of Pigin, as someone interested in radio I used to listen to a lot of shortwave. I was listening to Radio Australia around the time of the Challenger disaster, and the station switched over to the PNG service and the news in Pigin. I'll never forget the line "Bugger up 'im space ship belong President Reagan."

Just for anyone that hadn't read the description of what the general chat area is all about ;)

General Chat [ New posts ]
For all non-prospecting related discussion and topics that don't fit into an existing category
2,864 Topics
52,048 Posts

I am really enjoying your posts PK,
please keep em coming mate.

Know a fella that also served in the solomons for quite a few years and he has some interesting stories to tell as well. ;)

Cheers,

Billy.

Gotta love the simple descriptors of nouns and the pathos of Pigin languages.

An old painted sign at a provincial medical clinic still makes me giggle today, it directed patients who were, "Big Sick", that was as Bob Dylan would have it, knockin' on heaven's door, were to go straight and see the nurse and not get in the queue where they just may possibly die.

DrDuck, short wave radio is a great thing and was our source of news in many places. In the middle of the Pacific we could catch the BBC World Service broadcasts from Kinshasa in the Congo and quite a few other places around the world. We got to know the times to best pick up the different broadcasts and it is a habit that has stayed with me to listen to BBC World, Al Jazeera broadcasts and the like where ever I may be as it can be far less tainted than the commercial and government services Australians are fed.

The Peacekeeper

Hey peacekeeper the wifey is a VCE English teacher and she gives you an a+ for your writing skills. Says she wished she could write like you. Definitely a book is in order. Gotta love the pidgin English , have a couple danger tags that came from sugar mills in New Guinea will see if I can find them. Im bugger up is a common theme.

1446627386_image.jpg
1446627425_image.jpg
couldnt find the imbuggerup tag but much the same

Unfortunately I wasn't working there but was the bro in law. Maybee fortunately from some of the stuff he's told me. Best thing he did for me though was got a photo of my dads uncle s grave from the lae war cemetery. None of the family had ever seen it before so was pretty special.

Whilst I am at show n tell this arvo, here are the Pacific War coke bottles that came back from Guadalcanal. On the base you can see their place of manufacture, not sure about the visibility of the dates which are on the side of each bottle at the bottom.

1446969220_imag1476_1024x613.jpg

1446969220_imag1477_1024x613.jpg

The Peacekeeper

Bjay said:
Hey peacekeeper the wifey is a VCE English teacher and she gives you an a+ for your writing skills. Says she wished she could write like you. Definitely a book is in order. Gotta love the pidgin English , have a couple danger tags that came from sugar mills in New Guinea will see if I can find them. Im bugger up is a common theme.

Ta, apple for the teacher then!

The Peacekeeper.

Latest posts