Pumps for a Highbanker - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also been searching for a reasonably priced alternative to the Honda for awhile now - closest thing I can find (and I've done some pretty serious searching) is the Genquip as posted by mbasko. I've pretty much made my mind up on going for that one just as soon as I've got myself a Walbanker.

I'd love to hear what Matt says about it though.

Greglz86 said:
headbut said:
Balx said:
I got one of these for $100 delivered on ebay auction, cant complain. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PETR.../360710142919?pt=AU_Pumps&hash=item53fbfffbc7
Balx , mate that would give you a hernia carrying that for a while :eek:
I will take the Missus. She can carry it ;)
HAHAH it easy to carry with 2 hands, but you wouldnt want to be walking for klm's, check out my vid in the youtube section with the petrol inverter and 240v pump, i love it. Plus multi use if your camping.

I personally think that bit of extra money spent on a good pump will be well spent in the long run eventually.
I had the cheaper pump and didnt last the distance and eventually siezed up.
So if you can wait a little and save up for the better pump, ie WX15 Honda you wont be dissapointed.
I have seen some outfit with oversized pumps and it was a struggle just to get them from point A to point B.
Good luck on the hunt.
Cheers
Brad.

headbut said:
Balx said:
I got one of these for $100 delivered on ebay auction, cant complain. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PETR.../360710142919?pt=AU_Pumps&hash=item53fbfffbc7

Im also after a cheap pump and looked at the same ones. I thought it was pretty heavy to carry, but then I got thinking about attaching some big air tyres onto the frame.
Or modify a cheap removalist trolly to carry the pump and also the walbanker.
With big enough wheels youd be able to pull it over fair size rocks.

So yeah im still unsure what to go for.

Iv ruled out the light small 2 strokes, they would be noise and have to run flat out to get the 200L.

The big heavey ones would prerty much idle to get 200L wouldnt they?

Balx Do you find it ok to walk 1klm with it?
Have you tried it on wheels of any kind?

We carry ours cooly style suspended on a pole by 2 people... :D
farmeroz said:
headbut said:
Balx said:

Im also after a cheap pump and looked at the same ones. I thought it was pretty heavy to carry, but then I got thinking about attaching some big air tyres onto the frame.

Iv ruled out the light small 2 strokes, they would be noise and have to run flat out to get the 200L.

farmeroz said:
headbut said:
Balx said:

Nah i have to walk thru bush down steep hills so wheels are useless, and i dont walk that far so doing 2 trips isnt that bad. Just depends on what your main spots are like. And what your cash flow is like, i am tight arse so getting an inverter, 240v pump and a 5.5hp petrol pump all up for $440 i am pretty happy, and I dont have any problems with the quality. Plus at $100 even if it lasted for 2 years thats 14 years worth of pumps for the price of a honda.

Matt got back to me. He says the genquip is great. I'm pretty much sold with that one. When I get mine and get it up and running I will let you guys know how it goes.

Greg

I can honestly recommend an onga mini blaze I have tried several as I used to be in the pump game. The fuel use and the fact it comes with a hose kit is even better. I can probably get a good deal for anyone wanting one. Pm if you interested in one..

I brought a cheap Chinese one of the Internet 5.5hp the piston broke after 10mins.. The mini blaze has been on many outings no problem. We went the other other day and ran all day on about 1.5-2 litres of fuel. Is a 4 stroke. We put ours in a roll cage that's about the only down side no roll cage for the unit. We ended up using the one from the cheap pump that broke..

I have to work on a better price but would say around $400 comes with national warranty and a hose kit. I will try and get a better price from onga on the units and post it back on here navieko.

Hello Greg,

I run a Honda 2hp 4 stroke, it runs quiet and weighs around 19kg. Coupled with a Kenne 2" inlet 1.1/2 outlet high volume pump.
Will pump up to 30mtr head but mostly I will run about 30 - 50mtrs of lay flat hose, I purchased this pump some 13 years back direct from Keene eng in the US along with the pump mainly to run my suction dredge. But now only use it on my HB and it still runs fine.

For me I would purchase another Honda if needed as it still runs great but they are not cheap at about 700 bucks + pump will set you back about 1k.

Cheap ebay one @ 200 bucks its gotta make you think a little.

Steve.

I brought an Aussie pump with a Japan Honda wx15 and love it! $700 is a lot but you get what you pay
for . This pump will last forever, i run it at a 1/3 throttle and its great.

Hey the Navieko I spoke to the old man who is a premium dealer for onga. $400 plus freight for cash transfer. I know what his cost was as a premium dealer and he makes basically nothing on it. Though as I know as I used to work for onga we can organise a special deal. Need to do more work on getting a price.

Here is the website for the pump. http://www.onga.com.au/Miniblaze .133l/min and the curve is on the website as well as a picture.

I did a price check on the Internet and their is someone selling them below what they cost the old man . Give me another week we are going to have to twist the arm of the rep.

If you can't wait go to https://ongapumpsales.com.au/?cat=10 (........be aware thats not an onga site... Just one of their dealers)as it is below normal retail cost. We should be able to match that but to be honest that's a "red hot price"..

I was fortunate to get mine at manufacturing cost but the 350 on here I would gladly part with for that pump. Tank holds 1.4 l we filled it once at the start of the day. Refilled it at near the end and ran for about 20 mins. I estimate about 2 litres got us about 5-6hours run time.

I will be back with hopefully a better price soon

Thanks everybody for your responses. I have made my mind up on what I'm getting.
I have decided to go with the genquip pump. I considered my options and decided its the one for me. And with MTMM giving it a good review I don't think I can go wrong.
The downside of that pump is from the website it doesn't come with hoses and fittings. I'm looking at a couple on fleabay that are reasonably priced but I'm wondering if anyone has somewhere or someone they like to buy their hoses and fittings from.
Thanks guys
Greg

I have a genquip 2.5hp running 1.5 inch hose. It runs flatout to get flow for gold hog mat in a 6" x 6' sluice. GH mat uses higher flow than most are comfortable with reference the GH site, you mat not need that flow rate.
Make sure you check the oil level and take oil to service it as it will use oil during it's running-in and then some oil if you run the motor hard as I do. Fuel consumption, about 2 hours of operation flatout.
The on/off switch has failed, so just change the wiring (photo if you need). It won't be going back as I was not impressed with the suppliers service. Changed the oil after about 10 hours and now at about 25 hours.
Starts & runs well, 2 things that cause it to stop - low oil & no fuel. Have a spare plug, not yet required. Only low hours, around 45 so can't comment on service life.
good luck.
Barry

I suspect jono & jono misprinted the price, but clicked buy it now on Ebay, just under 2 hours to go. Triangle members may get on if you're quick, don't have time to list the item number, pump is pickup near ballarat, check it out!

Latest posts