Pumps for a Highbanker - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

The above link is for the pump I am looking at buying , don't know much about them but if its good enough,
will go ahead and buy one. Just looking at specs tells me it would not have to rev out much to do the job
and not be too hungry on fuel .
Please: feel free to comment because I have no experience with these gadgets.
:D steve.

Hi Steve,

I have the same pump 149 including delivery. Its been running 6 months (almost every weekend) so far without any trouble. Oil and good sparkplug is what Ive added. I run it on about 1/3 throttle and it lasts 4-5 hours before I need to feed it again.

From memory Ive paid more for all the fittings and hoses then the actual pump.

Cheers Joe

5.5hp - 2 inch in and out will work with any highbanker. I have a reducer 2 flat hose going to 1 flex hose outlet (1.5m to 2m) into HB - first not to get kinks (as you do with flat hose and sharp angles) second creating more pressure for the jet yet still running about 1/3 throttle capacity. So yes the pump works fine.

Also depends on the width and length and whats inside as a contraption. I use goldhog mating UR and Scrubber which needs a bit more flow than Hungarian riffle or mesh and miners moss or carpet.

Two stroke smaller engines are too noisy for me , four stroke smaller engines (cheaper versions) are almost same price as this one but you would have to work them harder which could reduce the overall life span.

If this Chinese knockoff will last me 12moths + Im happy.

cheers joe

Looking at getting a new and reasonably portable pump for my new highbanker.
Wondering what people are using and what width their bankers are ?

Also can you use a 2inch pump and reduce it down to fit 1 /1/2 hose ??

I'm yet to build / buy myself a highbanker yet although I'm itching to get one.

Bugsey tells me that Taz told him :eek: that Aldi have water pumps coming on sale for $99 in the next catalog. I don't know any of the particulars but they might be worth checking out.

Been looking at these 2 so far..
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230933055578&clk_rvr_id=465692868897

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200394974312&clk_rvr_id=465690775338

Got no problem buying cheap Chinese as they cheap ones are cheap enough to be disposable and having spent almost 2 the last decades in Japan I know where most things from there are being manufactured.
You would be surprised how many big name Japanese brands get their products manufactured in China and how now many have production plants there and in Thailand.

I would like one of the portable 2.5hp Honda pumps but spent a tad too much coin of late and I like my man parts too much that if I was to purchase one of the Hoda pumps now I'm afraid I'll wake up as a eunuch courtesy of an angry wife.

Reducing down a pump that much shouldn't be an issue, water flow will be the same just with more velocity (friction loss increased etc etc)

i am told genquip do a real good one for $299 less than half the price of a honda , i have not seen one but have heard good reports about them .
i think ARB 4x4 stockists carry them .
ill do a google on them see what pops up .
johno

I have a highbanker that is 1200 long x300 wide and I tested it for the first time on Friday using a pump similar to the first one you have listed (same specs) and only had to run it just about 1/3 throttle with about 10 meters of outlet hose. I was very happy with it plenty of flow. Mine is a Chinese brand and seems to be ok. BTW scored 19 bits of fly poop sized gold from about 2 wheelbarrows of material, happy with that test. :)

i got one of the cheap 5.5 hp 2inch pumps from eBay about $150 works really well, BUT had problems with it, the oil thats in the motor when you get it is crap,and may as well of been water, the motor seized up after 5 hours use. but i opened it up and taped on the piston and it did free up and i haven't had any problems with it since.

IF YOU BUY ONE PUT GOOD OIL IN IT

having said that you will still need hoses and fittings i got 30m 2inch lay flat hose 3m suction hose and all the fittings, $200+

Did you read the manual???
Ordinarily, the oil in the engine is a tiny amount of transport oil...it should be drained and replaced with real oil!
I have many Chonda 3 inch pumps, and they all still go well. The secret is the oil.... first 3 hrs, change the oil, 10 hours, 20 hours....then every 50 hours...
The motor will last ya a lifetime!!

yeah your right, did read the manual after.......LOL,but all good still works really well and for $150 i cannot complain about the quality really.

elrodeo said:
Looking at getting a new and reasonably portable pump for my new highbanker.
Wondering what people are using and what width their bankers are ?

Also can you use a 2inch pump and reduce it down to fit 1 /1/2 hose ??

G'day elrodea,..I run a Honda WX15 4stroke....and these will adequately run a Banker up to 400mm wide. The main thing with pumps is to get one that you can easily carry. To hi-bank any volume you really need a pump that can deliver at least240 litres / minute. The other main thing to look out for is the amount of head the pump can pump to. The WX15 can pump to a 40m head and if your any distance with your banker from the river edge, the higher the head the better. Some pumps deliver a lot of water but at low pressure so be careful when your looking that the pump produces reasonable pressure. Any small fire fighting pump would be quite suitable for hi-banking......reducing a 2" pump is ok... :) Cheers Wal. :)

Hey Wal
Cheers for that.. I've been looking at that pump but might have to grab it on the sly as misso will kill me.
I already have an old pump stashed in the bush but its seen better days as got it cheap with hoses and have new banker expected any day now so time to get a portable pump and new hoses.
Most areas I go are reasonably accessible by 4wd and via the odd fire trail but one place is a good 3km hike in through dense bush and has very good gold so looking at something easily transportable that can do around 14,000litre p/hr.
Ian was another that recommended the WX15.
I've got a large banker on the drawing board that's going to need a bigger pump so might bite the bullet for the WX15 and buy cheaper 2inch 5hp for when the big banker is made.

Anyone know of any shops that do discount prices on the Honda WX15 and can ship Ozzie wide ?

I bought a little Subaru 2 stroke pump a couple weeks ago after using the one goldrocs has had for 8 years. It was $380 and has a 5 year warranty. It's only 5 kg so heaps lighter than most pumps and runs my keen highbanker no worries just above idle. The longer warranty convinced me as my Honda died after 14 months and only had a 12month warranty :(. It comes with fittings, strainer etc. Here is the spec sheet.

http://www.aussiepumps.com.au/PDF/s...ts_pumps_QP pumps_1_Aussie Ultalite pumps.pdf

DD

Was your Honda a 4 stroke DD.???. I've had mine for 7 yrs and change the oil each season. ;) Would hate to think what hours it's done. Starts 1st pull every time and has never let me down....Cheers Wal. :)

Yeh mate , a 4 stroke that came with my Keene highbanker. Only used it 5-6 times as I spend most of my time in the desert. Snapped the crank rod when I got back over east at the end of last year :(. Honda dealer wasn't too interested in fixing it just wanted to sell me a new one. I've been told that you can get a repair kit for about $100 but if the broken rod has gouged the inside it's fubared. Didn't want to fork out $700 odd for another so just got the little Subaru.

DD

Be keen to have some feedback mate on the Subaru down the track a bit, after a few hundred hours...they make good cars ,so they prob make great little 2 strokes as well ...Cheers Wal. :)