Pump this, Sluice that...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you are all set to go mate. :)
You may have a little bit too much water going through but when you start to run material through you will soon see what is going on.
After tipping the laptop on it's side, LOL All I can see is you may have to turn your spray bars a little bit so they are hitting the material a bit more.
Apart from those little observations you have a really nice setup. :D
Now just get out there and find some... :cool:

Tathradj said:
Looks like you are all set to go mate. :)
You may have a little bit too much water going through but when you start to run material through you will soon see what is going on.
After tipping the laptop on it's side, LOL All I can see is you may have to turn your spray bars a little bit so they are hitting the material a bit more.
Apart from those little observations you have a really nice setup. :D
Now just get out there and find some... :cool:

Thanks Doug.

If you thought it was info overload a couple of weeks back, then now I don't know what it is :eek:

All the reading I've done is starting to form a little basic picture for the equipment side of things. ie. Water flow, velocity and volume, Spray bars, hopper angles, grizzly bar classification ( or what ever the correct term would be :p ), sluice angles, skid plates have me highly intrigued, at the moment, riffle types and angles, different mesh sizes, where to put them and where no to, and the alike for matting ( what to use where and where no to etc )

Fully agree about get out and give it a whirl and get to know it. I've ran it a few times with dirt with gold and caught some small stuff. Few flakes and a couple of specks, but I know in amongst all that info is a favorable setup. Maybe I'm just slowly turning into an older man and beggining to become weird drawn into strange worlds of men with hobbies synonomous with boys with toys :p

Either way Ive started this and ain't running back, mate! :/

Just been trying to get to that knowledge that I'll know in five years from experience, in five weeks on here. And that isn't really possible. I've learned a lot though and still am.

Hope your neck ain't too bent outta shape :p

I'll pay half the chiro bill :lol:

Cheers,

Chris

I hope it all works well
just remember, we are always here to answer any questions you have
and if we (all members) don't know
then we'll just make it up as we go :p
Cheers Kane

Beer works better than any chiro. LOL
No problems at all.
Any thing you want to ask, Just do it. That is what we are all here for mate. :) :) :)
Just don't hurt your self when you find a honey hole doing the dance of joy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

casper said:
Wow! you've done some homework, NB: the marked up mesh dimensions on the last pic look wrong - maybe need a decimal point in there and be expressed as cm ;)

good luck

casper

Mesh size is correct Casper. It's what I use in my bankers and is the best config I have come across to date. ;)

Wal

Flat bar riffles at a 45 degree don't impress me too much in the backyard tests.

Changed my mind last night and went with a proven method, and that method is Wals design. Obviously it ain't quite the same, although I have a feeling it'll demolish the previous setup I had.

Last night I decided I'd go out looking for the raised sloped expanded mesh ( thinking it would be a nightmare ). ...30 minutes later at the second place I tried, I was not only in luck, not only spolit for choice for types of expanded, but they had the exact one I was after. ( 100x40x15 ). They had a big pile of old mesh that was considered trash. Lol. ...score! :lol:

1432530832_result.jpg

Mrs loved it too. Saved a full day of exploring the city for some. She didn't love the part where I was driving down the highway with a big old nasty piece of mesh hanging out the boot of the sedan. :D

I've got a question though...

The sluice is 1200mm
The crate is about 600ish as I recall
The piece of expanded I cut is about 400mm

...how big can I have the expanded mesh before it becomes a hindrance?

Going out to bunnings this evening for a romantic stroll with the Mrs and the little one a d hoping to find 20mm piping with enough sturdiness and flex to be able to shake the sluice a little as I load her up.

But yeah, the mesh length? ...any ideas? :)

Thanks Doug in advance :p always there for me :lol:

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,
I would try it the way it is.
Pan and see how much is trapped in the crate section then pan and see what you have in your expanded.
It is ideal to have about 3/4 of that amount of crate with the whole lot further down the bankers chute.
That way you have a "Slick Plate" that allows the water and material to gain speed, form a fluid bed and level out before hitting the expanded.
You will probably find the first 2 or 3 sections of expanded will be washed clean by the water cascading down from the hopper.
Don't worry too much yet as you will catch about 90 % of the gold in the expanded section. The crate will catch the super fine stuff.
This type of setup will catch the lot.
Still a nice setup to have. :D

Did a quick run just now.

Haven't put everything in place properly yet, but it all holds down nicely, anyway.

I'm hoping someone can make the observations that I need to run this properly. This is a novice trying to engineer a device that a pro devised. I don't know much and don't claim to ( hence why I'm here ) and therefore I don't mean this to reflect poorly on the walbanker design. Only on myself :p

1432545840_result_7.jpg

1432545869_result_5.jpg

1432545889_result_3.jpg

1432545910_result_1.jpg

https://youtu.be/RYq065NZe8A

As you can see it chokes. The expanded is 2-3mm off the bottom at top of the sluice. ( start of the mesh )

Total water height when it runs is about 12mm. Should be 20mm, right?

How hard should the bread crate be pressing down onto the matting?

The grizzlys are 10mm, definitely not as good as the cable tray.

I think a bigger slick plate would help some. Not sure if its a 'solve all' kinda solution. Lol

Tathradj said:
Hi Chris,
I would try it the way it is.
Pan and see how much is trapped in the crate section then pan and see what you have in your expanded.
It is ideal to have about 3/4 of that amount of crate with the whole lot further down the bankers chute.
That way you have a "Slick Plate" that allows the water and material to gain speed, form a fluid bed and level out before hitting the expanded.
You will probably find the first 2 or 3 sections of expanded will be washed clean by the water cascading down from the hopper.
Don't worry too much yet as you will catch about 90 % of the gold in the expanded section. The crate will catch the super fine stuff.
This type of setup will catch the lot.
Still a nice setup to have. :D

I should have waited to read the thread/post before posting a new one. Lol

Anyway, this is what it was like before I need to remodify the setup.

Also, I could actually see the little stones etc bouncing around in the crate. No chance of ever seeing the bouncing in my old setup. That was pretty cool to see. :D

I'll get there hopefully sooner than later :)

Maaaate,
Probably shape your mesh to sit a little closer to the bottom of the chute.
Now, "Clogging." You are on the right track but you need to have material sitting within the mesh and crate. You observed little rocks and stuff bouncing around in the water flow.
That is called a fluid bed and that is what you need.
Get your angle and water flow right and you will see the whole lot come to life. LOL
With the expanded you will have a slightly more aggressive action whereas the crate section you will have all of it going crazy.
The idea is as the sediments settle into the bottom behind the obstructions or high side of the mesh. Gold being heavier will "get stuck" and fall to the bottom out of the flow whereas the sediments will be sucked out via the vortices and be replaced.
In the bread crate section, This happens on a much refined scale and you have a heap of them in the water flow. This causes traps in every path of the flow and is primarily designed to trap all the fine gold that the mesh misses. What happens here is the gold falls out of the water flow and drops into the sediment. It makes it s way down and into the mat. And Stays There.
To me, what I see with your bread crate, there is too much flow blowing it all out. If you are worried about this, Stick a pan on the ground in front of your banker within the outwards flow. This is called "Safety Panning" and the same rule applies while you are learning to pan.
As a test, Use clean sand. You will see it happening.
Remember, The fluid bed will change slightly depending on the material you are processing.
And finally, Gold is 19 times more heavier than water.
Here is a diagram I drew in a hurry about some riffles I designed. Don't panic and go build some. All it is for in this case is to explain what goes on in front of an obstruction whether it be expanded, Bread crate or riffles.
1432551012_1427798385_riffle_setup.jpg

Crate needs to be half that size. Slick plate needs to be twice as long. "C" channel needs to lock the crate to the carpet and hold up the gold at the end of the expanded. Expanded needs to be sitting on the slick plate as there's already enough space under the expanded from the way it is pressed. Water flow needs to be reduced so the expanded section is full of displaceable gravel. Crate needs to be quarter full of gravel with just a small amount of matting showing.

Apart from those few things it's looking good. Send me a PM if you want some more advice.

Wal.

Yeah, cheers guys.

I've always been precise and a one time type of guy. Get it done right the first time. Real picky. Really good way to be for pride in work and getting the job done to an above standard quality, but the downside it drives everyone around me nuts when its time to complete something lol. Do it right or don't do it at all, kind of thing. Meticulous is the word that comes to mind :lol:

I would have messaged you Wal for some info but I've rarely asked for help from anyone, and after seeing how much you've volunteered on this site ( as have some others have also ) I really didn't want to be 'another'. ...seem like a nice fellow, so good on ya, mate ;)

I'll continue to have a fiddle and see how she goes. Weather down here aibt too flash at the minute and its killing me at home and at work.

And cheers for the diagram, Doug. ...Big thanks to my new mentor ( and father if you choose to adopt me. )

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,
In this game " experimentosis " is the name of the game. LOL
Love to see your face when you do your first cleanup.
Priceless... :lol:
The adoption side of things. 8)
Um,
Very Flattered but if ever me meet up one day, Just a couple of beers and a smile will be sufficient. :D
Where are you from. ?
Doug

Nah your right, mate :D

I'm from down Geelong way. Southern Victoria.

Gotta drive a fair ways to my little spot I've got. And although I ain't cashing in gold, I'd like to think that I could make my petrol money back each time I was to go off on an expedition.

Beer sounds alright to me, Doug - And so dies summer time. ...Weather down here is crazy cold and its no good trying to be balancing work and lesuire etc

Quick last thought before I'm trying to get some rest. Those 45 degree flat bar riffles, they were never going to catch gold the way I'd like to. No matter how much tinkering one did. That much I do know. Can work as part of a system, but based entirely on those? ...no good. Awesome learning curve though

Anyone thats in my boat? ( new and learning the ropes ) ...keep at it ;) ...we'll get through it :lol:

Cheers

My 4Runner that I got for a conversion that I am doing come from Lara. LOL
My Mate was born and bred then Married in Aireys Inlet end of last year.
I am going to have to do a Victoria Run soon, JUST maybe Spring This Year.
Get the family involved and it will be worth more than petrol money.
Cheer's
Always happy to Help...
Doug

Tathradj said:
My 4Runner that I got for a conversion that I am doing come from Lara. LOL
My Mate was born and bred then Married in Aireys Inlet end of last year.
I am going to have to do a Victoria Run soon, JUST maybe Spring This Year.
Get the family involved and it will be worth more than petrol money.
Cheer's
Always happy to Help...
Doug

Looked at a house few months ago in Lara. New development area - nice homes.

...we used to hang out on Aires Inlet every weekend for years. May know of him, lol. Best of luck though. :p

Hope your trip down south goes alright. There are kangaroos on the roads down here like nobodies business. Make sure she has a bull bar on it. Stock bumpas just don't cut it :lol:

A weekend of petrol during the day is a lot cheaper than a sixer of beer during the night. That in itself is a win :D

Been working, hoping to get this finished and tested to show the forum. A little exhibition of sorts.

Who knows, Doug... May get my act together one day and head up north and camp out. Youll have to give us some local know how and some luck for that matter :)

Chris

Latest posts