Pumps for a Highbanker - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diggerdude said:
I bought a little Subaru 2 stroke pump a couple weeks ago after using the one goldrocs has had for 8 years. It was $380 and has a 5 year warranty. It's only 5 kg so heaps lighter than most pumps and runs my keen highbanker no worries just above idle. The longer warranty convinced me as my Honda died after 14 months and only had a 12month warranty :(. It comes with fittings, strainer etc. Here is the spec sheet.

http://www.aussiepumps.com.au/PDF/s...ts_pumps_QP pumps_1_Aussie Ultalite pumps.pdf

DD

Thanks Diggerdude.
Gave them a bell today and they have a good little 1.5hp 2.5hp 4stroke for $630+ Gst.
They use Honda motor on the 4 stroke with their custom pump housing and 5yr warranty and 9kg to boot.

Hi all,

Some great info on here! No shortage of choices that's for certain.

We ran a new little 1.2HP 2stroke Tanaka TCP-25B 1'' pump for around a month straight last year (about to see some more action in the coming months). They run around the $600 mark from Sydney Tools. It's been a little beauty for us. Very quiet, lightweight at only 5kg, economical and starts nicely -even in 6c weather down in the Snowys. Seemed to offer me enough flow rate (110L/min) to have about a three to four cubic yard throughput each day of material using 2x 30feet sections of marine flex hose to the highbanker. Though some setups may require a more powerful unit to give a bit of extra water volume.

All the best with the hunt.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Thought that now I'm part of the highbanker club I would throw my two cents worth at you. The $150 ebay 5.5hp 4 stroke I got is going well. So long as you do as GM suggested oil wise. It's not the most portable pump around but I put it on my should and can walk with it. I did see a good idea from hereskip I think it was who had a similar sized pump and fixed the base of two trolleys to the pump basically putting it onto four wheels so you can just drag it around. I run 5m of 50mm hose and reduced the outlet to 25mm from 50mm. My outlet hose is 10m and it doesn't miss a beat. I found my hose gear from http://www.hoseonline.com.au/ Actually got great service from them. Let us know what you settle on.

Cheers
Copper

We also use a $150 chinese 5.5HP 2" pump from ebay, and yes, I too got caught with the oil level. Mid way through the 2nd morning it ran out of oil that shipped with it. I had to make a dash into Orange for some oil and it started up again perfectly without any hint of a problem. Itg probably had scored bores and disintegrating piston rings by that stage, but it worked and produced a very steady stream. We ran this pump just above idle for the majority of the time.

God bless ebay I say!

Hi All,
I have 2 pumps. One is a gc150 honda/onga I built out of donated bits and pieces.

The other pump is a $50 220watt 240 volt submesible from bunnings. I run it through a 600 watt inverter on a n70z deep cycle battery in my Landcruiser. I ran it with my Stealthbanker over the Easter weekend with good success. .

I was crevicing and running classified material through it and it worked fine for this but I think I may need to upgrade to a bigger output pump if I want to run unclassified material through it. I can also run 100 m of extension lead if I want.

I think ChrisM has picked up on the idea as well.

I run it at my secret spot which is about 400m from a house and I don't want to draw any undue attention. Plus it is very pleasant highbanking without the racket of a 4 stroke in the background.

Ah the serenity!

See a short clip of it running in my spa here https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=640&p=2

Cheers
Mick

So managed to get Honda GXH50 4 stroke 2.5 hp with Aussie Pump QP154SX for $350 .
Pump was used but has had only been run for a couple of hrs of running and is in mint condition so pretty happy as unit is around 10kg so well and truly back packable and 210 litres p/min, 60 metre head and will self prim to 8metres.
Should be fine as highbanker only needs to run around 50gpm (US)
If it needs more flow I'll grab this water pump http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P90&Category_Code=DMP and swap pumps. Keene use the GXH50 as their motor so its a direct bolt on.
So want to do a preventative oil change so what oil do people recommend.
Honda manual says use 10w-30w 4 stroke but manual is a US manual.
Also what unleaded do people use on their Honda pumps. I would have thought premium would be the best fuel for longevity as higher octane has less contaminants and additives (blends) .
Anyway thanks for any info.

I still have the Keene hi flow pump of my little gxh50, might be able to negotiate something when I see you next week if you need it ;).

DD

Might definitely do some negotiation if its the 100 gpm but might have to keep it on the hush,hush as the missus is a 50% starter to come away as wants a few days off the Uni grind.
The bonus is she is a mean Korean cook and always whips up a gourmet burning ring of fire on the camp fire.
Should be down your way around late lunch time to mid arvo on Tuesday as have a quick stop to do at Glen Innes first.

so does this mean I should look on ebay for a water pump to buy steven??? :/ and I gather a 4 stroke would be the better option? suggestions please.... :p

Here's a link to my little pump. http://pumpsdelivered.com.au/79-agromate-2-stroke-pump.html
agromate-2-stroke-pump.jpg

Selecta farm sprayers used to sell them too. Very reliable & light. This one is fairly quiet compared to other 2 stroke pumps I've seen.
Bunnings used to sell these for about $200

Im also looking to buy a pump to assist me with my sluicing.
I recently made a collapsible metal stand which my sluice sits in perfectly about 1 meter off the ground (much easier on the back than bending down all day long)
Im a bit confused as to which kind of pump i may need.
Ive read that i may need a pump capable of pumping 240ltrs per minute, its that a reasonable estimate?
The 5.5hp pumps ive seen seem to be much bigger than what i was hoping to use (approx 26 kgs).
Does anyone use a smaller, lighter pump that gets the job done properly?
Im only a beginner when it comes to this, and was hoping to spend around $200 - $250.

Checkout the little Subaru two stroke ones I posted a link to on the first page of this thread, they are only 5kg and run my big Keene highbanker no worries, 110ltrs a min. Goldrocs has had one as well for seven years, very reliable. 5 year warranty.

DD

As Wal states, in depends on the box size & design. I have priced the Honda WX15 for $799 - $869 & is light weight. The bigger units certainly deliver enough volume ,some maybe too much & they are heavy to carry 100m let alone 2 km, Cheers Paul

I don't get it...
$800 for a Honda 4stroke
Or around $150 -$200 for a 2stroke.(5-6kgs)

Both will pump similar volume/pressure. 115LPM
Both will be reliable if maintained
One is more noisy(add a better muffler or wear ear plugs).
Is it really worth the extra $600 to go a bit quieter? :rolleyes:

Latest posts