On This Day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On This Day In 1983 US President Ronald Reagan Denounced Soviet Communism As "The Focus Of Evil In The Modern World" :N: not much has changed

On This Day In 2014 Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 With 239 People On Board, Including 6 Australians, Vanished En Route From Kuala Lumpur To Beijing 8.( :flowers:

ON THIS DAY

Today is the 120 year anniversary of the death of Charles Yelverton (CY) O'Connor.

In 1881, CY OConnor accepted the appointment of Engineer-in Chief of Western Australia, a position which carried with it the acting-general management of railways.

In 1896 he was relieved of the railways management, in order that he might devote the whole of his attention to the great engineering schemes that were engaging the attention of the world. Namely Fremantle harbour and the Goldfields Water Scheme.

Sadly, with an incredible work load, heavy responsibility and continuing pressure from his critics, CY O'Connor's mental health suffered and did not live to see the completion of the pipeline.

On this day in 1902 at the age of 59, CY O'Connor penned this note, which today is hidden in a vault at the State Records Office.

"The position has become impossible." he wrote.

"Anxious important work to do and three commissions of enquiry to attend to.

We may not have done as well as possible in the past but we will necessarily be hampered to do well in the imminent future.

I feel that my brain is suffering and I am in great fear of what effect all this worry will have upon me. I have lost control of my thoughts.

The Coolgardie scheme is all right and I could finish it if I got a chance and protection from misrepresentation but there's no hope for that now and its better that it should be given to some entirely new man to do who will be untrammelled by prior responsibility.

10/3/02

Put the wing walls to Helena Weir at once -"

CY O'Connor then rode his horse past Fremantle Harbour, south to Robb Jetty, then into the sea to take his own life.

While he had given up hope, he had not given up on his dream of a pipeline, providing final instructions as a footnote to his final letter.

On This Day In 2019 More Than 50 People Were Killed In Two Consecutive Mass Shootings At Mosques In Christchurch, New Zealand 😭💔🙏

I think my eyes 👀 are just about stuffed, what I thought was a picture of the Colosseum is a bloody tennis court 😳

I looked up that quote Mackka, bloody interesting stuff on those Romans in Wikipedia, I think it's about time they made some more movies about them, the last great Roman movie was Troy. 🤺🏛🏟 Cheers 🍻 Dave
You also Brutus? Came the words from Julius Caesar just before his murder by Marcus Junius Brutus and others. Sad Day.

Today is International Diesel Day, celebrating the birth of Rudolf Christian Karl Diesel who was born on this day in 1858 and went on to invent the diesel engine

Diesel Day Fact: The Diesel engine has the benefit of running more fuel-efficiently than gasoline engines due to much higher compression ratios and longer duration of combustion, which means the temperature rises more slowly, allowing more heat to be converted to mechanical work.

Today is International Diesel Day, celebrating the birth of Rudolf Christian Karl Diesel who was born on this day in 1858 and went on to invent the diesel engine

Diesel Day Fact: The Diesel engine has the benefit of running more fuel-efficiently than gasoline engines due to much higher compression ratios and longer duration of combustion, which means the temperature rises more slowly, allowing more heat to be converted to mechanical work.
Interesting, does it also mean you get better fuel efficiency, asking cause i am looking at buying a new car.

Diesels are more fuel efficient than petrol engines and emit less CO2, which makes them better for the environment. Diesels produce considerably more torque (pulling power) than their petrol counterparts, which makes them good engines for towing or carrying heavy loads – ie: seven occupants – on a regular basis.A big part of the diesel engine vs petrol engine comparison is the fuel-efficiency figures. Diesels are simply better in this department, as much as 30 or even 40 per cent better, although modern, direct-injection petrol engines are catching up.

Last edited:
On This Day In 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge Was Officially Opened 🙌 I was 23 years old and excited about driving over the bridge the first time, I don't think I'd be too excited about driving over it now 😨

Latest posts