Night park detecting with the Ace 250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much to show tonight unfortunately, as I spent more time sitting under a bbq shelter fleeing the rain and hail - got absolutely drenched.

On the flip side, I was very happy with the target separation on the 10x5 coil over the 11", it obviously doesn't have the depth of the 11", but has its place in really junky areas.

Only finds I managed to get were a vintage Wibroc car reflector, .303 shell, toy car bonnet, and a hefty sinker of sorts. :)

1405534373_img_20140717_032633.jpg

1405534396_img_20140717_032936.jpg

1405534422_img_20140717_033016.jpg

1405534443_img_20140717_033040.jpg

Glad you are enjoying the new detector - and also glad you posted your hunt finds when not a lot comes out of the ground too - shows the newbies that every hunt is not all silver and gold - or modern change for that matter ... but if you had fun then it was a successful session! ;)

And make sure you have the right gear to carry all the finds to the car without hurting your back.

Wolfau said:
silver said:
The big test will be to get someone with a normal detector to hit a site after you have finished to see if there was anything overlooked by your machine.

I plan on doing this exactly. I already have spent an hour or so tonight researching an old ghost town.

The last time I visited this place was about 15 years ago and has been hammered over the years.

One difference though between detectors is processing speed between bad and good targets.

There are a few awesome detectors out there though. Would love to see a 3d high definition
scanning type of detector where you can see the target and its shape right on screen as the ground
is being scanned. How cool would that be to see a pull tab or beer bottle screw cap on screen?

Haha had this very same conversation the other day with a dedicated relic and coin shooter. I'll bet somewhere there's a man in a lab working on this. At least it would stop those damn pulltabs. Multi dimensional pulse machine we need you.

Hey GP. nice tecta. you're getting up there now, with the infinium and the 250 as well. the results should start coming in now. cheers :cool:

The Explorer was a retrenchment gift from the missus, she bought a new ssd laptop for herself, so both very happy. Not even going to try and get out tonight, the weather is just crap, next few days should prove better though. :)

looks good for Saturday. but i will be at work till next Friday. Oh Sunny here every day and today's temp was 33. :)

Bit cold overnight though. last night I think it got down to a chilly 13. Brrrrrr. Hahaha.

I tell you what it hurts when I get back to Goolwa :eek:

Cliff

Goldpick said:
The Explorer was a retrenchment gift from the missus, she bought a new ssd laptop for herself, so both very happy. Not even going to try and get out tonight, the weather is just crap, next few days should prove better though. :)

HAHAHA. cold ? this time last year did beaches ,parks,scnools til 8am in the morning. good jacket,balaclava,scarf and gloves and a thermos.luberly jubberly.
no @#$%$667 around. to spy on ya. :lol: amazing whose around at 2-4am watching you.damn weirdos. :eek:

A quick hunt tonight, back down at the same park that the Florin was found at. I can see that I have a lot to learn on this detector, I have ordered Andy Sabisch's book on the Explorer amd Etrac to help things along, so hopefully some success will follow.

Otherwise I didn't do too bad, dug up a few 1966 brown buggers, ratty dollar coin, an old AJ Parker Girl Guides badge, and lastly, a lovely looking little 1951 threepence. The threepence was almost a discovery by accident, I only dug the target as it was a nice repeatable one, albeit lower on the conductivity scale, so was real happy to see that pop out. :)

Some before and after cleanup shots:

1405785915_img_20140720_011932.jpg

1405785937_img_20140720_011957.jpg

1405785963_img_20140720_012016.jpg

1405785988_img_20140720_012046.jpg

1405786009_img_20140720_012106.jpg

1405786028_img_20140720_012127.jpg

Thanks Paul, I like finding different things like badges, had no idea what it was till I got home and cleaned the clay off it. Still can't believe the condition of the threepence, looks like it was minted yesterday. :)

Bi-carb soda in a slurry, rub it together with my fingers a few times to get rid of any patina, and that's about it. :)

Off to a real junky park tonight that I reckon I had pretty much cleaned most of the decimal coins at. I have never found any coins older than 1966 here, and assumed that it was created around that time, mostly with 1c & 2c coins being the oldest.

After not having much success other than a couple of older 1c pieces, and 20c piece, I started to work my way back to the car and managed to get a nice high tone between a couple of trees. To my surprise, a 1961 shilling popped out of the hole, so that puts to rest the 1966 park theory. The shilling isn't as nicer condition as the last two silvers, and still requires a bit more cleaning.

As you can see from my pics, it takes a lot of digging junk between coin finds, still, good practice running the Explorer in all-metal with sensitivity set manually as high as it could go with a stable threshold. :)

1405880065_img_20140721_032938.jpg

1405880088_img_20140721_032959.jpg

1405880117_img_20140721_033020.jpg

1405880145_img_20140721_033045.jpg

Now that is looking more like a coin found on the beach! I can see the silvers trickling through now - you must be excited revisiting all the parks you have previously hunted with the Explorer - finding the items the Ace250 have been missing out on!

Certainly is fun going over the old haunts, most targets found were 5" and deeper, mostly likely out of the effective range of the Ace, especially in junk laden ground. I ran the 11" coil last night, probably should have used the smaller joey coil due to threshold blanking over multiple iron targets with the larger coil.

Will be heading for the hills next trip, to try an area where I previously found some 3p, shilling and pennies, huge area to explore there. ;)

Also picked up another battery pack today, a 1800mAh vs the stock 1600mAh. The 1600mAh pack does pretty good, around 5-6 hours drains about half with the screen light on, but always good to have a spare on hand. Whilst I was there, I sent my Pro-find off to be repaired or replaced, if they don't come through, I may look at trying the Whites pinpointer out. :)

1405914134_img_20140721_130531.jpg

Nice battery pack, you do want to get the most time before recharging. I get about 4-4 hour session before I need to recharge mine and the wireless head phone receiver goes even longer on the ctx. When it blanks try another angle to see if you can get a good signal from the junk. Also do you have fast recover set to max?

If you want a good battery for your FBS machines I would highly recommend one of these.

http://rnb-innovations.com/

I bought one for my E-trac mid last year. The last time I charged it was just before I broke my arm (almost a year ago). I used it 2 or 3 times back then, and have now used it 3 times recently, each trip about 5 hours detecting. It still has not lost 1 bar on the battery indicator. It is also Lithium, so there are no memory issues if you don't drain it fully before recharging.

Paul.

Latest posts