New England advice please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

The missus has given the thumbs up to two days in the New England region hunting the pretty blue ones. We are heading from Sydney to Bellingen for a bit of a holiday in early Jan, but will head inland for a couple of nights first, then head to the coast. We are looking at possibly staying in Inverell.

It will be our first trip to New England. If you guys only had two days in the area, which spots would you hit at this time of year?

We have our a 4wd and all of our own kit, including ability to cart water.

Appreciate your guidance as always.

Cheers

Pete

I'd go to Inverell, Billabong Blue is probably the best and is an operational mine, you will certainly find stones there. There is the tourist pile where you are guaranteed to get some or you can have a dig nearly anywhere on the property and cart wash to the creek or do some speccing for $20 a day per person. Just give them a call a few days before to make sure they are open. The owners are top people and really want visitors to find a nice stone.

I wouldn't bother about the public fossicking areas up there, most are flogged to death and you'll just be digging other peoples tailings mostly.

http://billabongblue.com.au/

Hope you have a great time.

Still a heap of stones in the public areas ,you just have to look properly.its a huge area with a lot of places to dig

I've found stones in the public areas but with limited time it's hard going, Swanbrook especially I think, Nullamanna is a fair bit better. Do you live in the area Tin Town? Just out of interest? A few locals I've met up there don't even know Sapphires are found there, lol.

I've been down this way for about 4years now,its a top spot .If you look in all the areas you will find good stones ,even Glencoe ive found nice greens . I stayed at Frazer Creek before it was billabong blue good spot Bills a great bloke but the tourist pile is just that a tourist pile .Lets face it if you didnt have to work for them they wouldnt be precious stones.Nice to meet you Heatho might meet you on one of your trips up here.

tin town said:
I've been down this way for about 4years now,its a top spot .If you look in all the areas you will find good stones ,even Glencoe ive found nice greens . I stayed at Frazer Creek before it was billabong blue good spot Bills a great bloke but the tourist pile is just that a tourist pile .Lets face it if you didnt have to work for them they wouldnt be precious stones.Nice to meet you Heatho might meet you on one of your trips up here.

Hey TT it's a great place for sure, not too big, not too small and no traffic lights, friendly people generally too. Yeah we only hit the pile when it's too hot to dig the creek, I've seen a few beauties come from the pile but yes you are totally right, it's for the tourists. Bill and his family are really nice people, they always make you feel welcome.

I've never tried Glencoe, that's the problem up there, too many spots I guess for a non local to try, would need years to get to all the different places. East of Glencoe would be interesting also, hmmmm I need more time up there. Would be great to meet up with you, will PM you next time I'm planning to head up.

All the best.

Seems there are quite few on here interested in the New England area for fossicking trips.
Don't want to give too much away, its more interesting when one does their own research.

Glencoe has been mentioned and there is a lot of potential on the E side of the NE highway. The Mt. Mitchell area is well worth investigating.

I have facetted some exceptional topaz from that region plus have seen very clear green sapphire, not so common elsewhere here.
Geo. maps provide the information, where the granite contacts the volcanic basalts are places to look. Usually at a creek. :)
Mike

Latest posts