My beach finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Paul that 3pence looks like a Maundy coin, they used to come in a set of 4. 1p,2p 3p,4p, the king or queen used to wash the feet of their subjects and they would hand these coins out along the way. The rich people would buy these coins of the people who where lucky enough to be given them, for more money than they were worth.

I'm sure they sold them for a profit though, anyway great find mate, well done.

cheers Rob

Or a queen Victoria Threepence(coin of the realm), British maybe.
Very early 20th century or mid to late 19th century.
I think each monarch looks a different way(left or right), so you could know if it was her or her son by the tilt angle of the neck. Any older ones than that, I'm sorry but I don't know about them.
So it could at least be pre 1910.

beach detecting addict said:
Hey Paul that 3pence looks like a Maundy coin, they used to come in a set of 4. 1p,2p 3p,4p, the king or queen used to wash the feet of their subjects and they would hand these coins out along the way. The rich people would buy these coins of the people who where lucky enough to be given them, for more money than they were worth.

I'm sure they sold them for a profit though, anyway great find mate, well done.

cheers Rob

Thanks Rob - I did some investigating and believe the coin is like this one - I can make out an "8" at the end so I assume it it 1908 - the bottom of the bust shows the head looking to the right while the other earlier years have the bust looking left

bdb083153810e2eb5f3dd54561f3efec_zps7e1aaf81.jpg

I had another go this morning but I am finding the beaches being sanded in and we need a big stirring of the sea to reveal more targets

Here is my paltry finds

DE60BE4D-5B37-4DF2-BEA4-08A5ECCD7D2E_zpshmvyszei.jpg

Pretty sure the green coin is a half penny - at least it was a nice morning :)

Yeah, the Adelaide beaches are really not too good at the moment for detecting, unless you are after recent drops, but with colder weather, even they are scarce.

Went detecting for an hour this morning by myself (ended up being there 2 hours) and here are the finds ...

18AA2482-6B05-4F15-99E0-C77F3AB39294_zpsq1ghsc5d.jpg

10 and a half coins found - a fifty cent/twenty cent/five cent/ 2 x two cents / 2 x one cent / 3 x six pence / and a half of a three pence

9B5F2E60-1F8C-4AAA-8D42-022D3389B7E8_zpsbloozjj3.jpg

I also found this brooch which I would like help identifying ...

24735DB0-57E1-46C9-A93A-F4E2A6856CA5_zps95a1ntp8.jpg

Sorry about the photo as I don't have Bogan's macro lens - to me it looks a bit Girl Scoutish

And a small array of junk targets....

84767B08-5E58-4D88-9F17-A2BDFF29707A_zpsbt4hqhfi.jpg

It was cold (15 degrees) windy and the surf was up (for Adelaide being in a gulf) and I had the beach to myself - and I enjoyed every minute of it! :)

Some crusty looking targets there, good to see the broach come up well, strange looking thing! Might need my thermals if going down to the beach tonight - bbrrrrr! ;) How deep are the pre-decs generally coming up?

Hey Paul, that photo with the crusty coin you posted on the 27th of April looks to me like it may have a reeded edge when I zoomed right in on it, have you given it a bath in salt and vinegar to see if it's a Shilling(halfpennys have a smooth edge) ?

silver said:
Hey Paul, that photo with the crusty coin you posted on the 27th of April looks to me like it may have a reeded edge when I zoomed right in on it, have you given it a bath in salt and vinegar to see if it's a Shilling(halfpennys have a smooth edge) ?

You had me thinking twice Silver but no it definitely is copper and no reeded edging :(

Ok, sorry about that Paul, got your hopes up there for naught.

That's ok Silver I would rather be sure... :)

Out for some morning exercise and here are the finds....

15803B3F-50B4-49D4-9F44-4512B3117C1D_zpscbedsaf9.jpg

Even though the treasures weren't plentiful I thought I would post sessions that aren't so great to show the newbies it ain't all beer and skittles all the time... As long as you find stuff that is interesting!

C75DFC42-CC8B-40FA-9C2E-40779270E874_zps4vmxdwv0.jpg

Not all what you would expect to find at the beach - the cone is made of lead and very heavy - is it some kind of small artillery slug? A badly worn piece of fork - a brass or copper cover to something - and the ring is huge and rang out a song so it's not iron.

C05DD7B3-1878-4C5C-B7A1-9C2D05822638_zpszjptfpik.jpg

Coins...

830A1E3E-ED3A-4D3B-961C-075673BE91A5_zpsqhfgsgdg.jpg

845EA100-5350-45C0-9628-E83AD9F79F9B_zpsddwysiiu.jpg

2 brown buggers and a 1943 Three pence that isn't toast!

Didn't get rich but had a marvelous time. :)

Latest posts