Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you to all your support guys I will keep you all up to speed on my future finds.

I have been doing a lot of research on old gold fields in S.A. A lot of them are now on private land unfortunately. But S.A. is a big place and from what I can work out back in the gold rush days the main problem was lack of water and of course the extremes of heat and cold, prospectors tended to explore in places near water sources and didn't do a lot of exploring out in the far N.E or N.W of the state. These days it's a lot more accessible, so it would stand to reason that if one could secure a good set of geological maps and knew what to look for the would be a lot of virgin ground out there. The other thing is the detectors today are getting better all the time, surely it's only a mater of time before I ... whoops ... I mean someone finds a new rich area. I have secured permission to have a look on private land on the Eastern side of the Yorke Peninsula that I will be going over with my mate Wes soon, I know that there was an old gold mine in that area as my Great Grandfather used to have a property there. Probably won't find much but I'm going to give it a good try.

Cheers

All the best Wishfull , you'll love the SDC . No doubt you'll post your spoils at some stage . My last Hotel was the Melville at Yorketown , sold that to retire in Dunolly . I will re search a story I was told of small gold South of Yorketown , will take some weeks then I will PM you . I never followed it up I smoked the wheels leaving Yorktown on take over day and was in Victoria inside 24 hours .

Cheers mate
goldrat

Perhaps I should know the answer to this question by now but I will ask anyway and maybe it can help me get a better idea.
Do all SDCs sound a little noisy ( warbly ), would extended initial ground balancing quieten them down or is it a matter of just running on a very low gain figure. I watched a Phase tech clip with Nenad running on one and gold could be heard with the 23 but not with the 5000 or the 4500, all at the same depth. Threshold sounded quite smooth, I wouldn't say mine runs smooth, is this just the way they are, I would appreciate your comments.
Many thanks

Sometimes you need to do a few noise cancels so it picks the quietest channel. Sometimes one is not enough. It should run with a pretty smooth threshold, they can get a little chattery in heavy EMI, don't run it too hot either until you get to know it.

Thanks for that Heatho,I will hit that button a few more times then and see what happens, is it best to hold it up in the air whilst doing this? Lots of suggestions are " run on 5 " I find this noisy though, I've heard of some that run on 2, even 1??

When you're pushing the green button, keep the coil about 5 inches off the ground but parrallel with the ground and raise and lower the coil vertically but not too quickly, without hitting the ground a few times. I always run on 4 or 5 and its squawky (hot) but i don't feel confident running it very quite around 2.

Leroy said:
Thanks for that Heatho,I will hit that button a few more times then and see what happens, is it best to hold it up in the air whilst doing this? Lots of suggestions are " run on 5 " I find this noisy though, I've heard of some that run on 2, even 1??
I used to find that auto tuning with the coil on or near the ground worked but if scanning the sides of gullies etc. that a tune in the air could be needed. Heatho's spot on it can take a couple to get it in tune at times then a redo again later in the day - depending on conditions. Some days though I could pull it out, turn it on & go all with the previous settings.
When I started using the SDC I ran on 2-3 but gradually ran it up between 3-5 to suit the ground. I mostly detected on 4 with 3 lights on the threshold & it ran good for me. Edit: (I used external speaker/booster set up).
What's your threshold set at?
The auto tracking is pretty good but as Scrounger says doing periodic quick tracks with the green button can help keep it running nice too.
They are or can be a warbly little thing but if there is gold there they will let you know about it.

Wishfull said:
mbasko said:
Wishfull said:
Their water proof as well ?
Leroy probably isn't though :p :lol:

Yes they are to 3 meters, you can get water proof headphones for them as well they are military grade machines :)

Cheers
Yeah I know the machines waterproof etc. - just saying Leroy might not be out in the rain....

G'day Leroy

Everyone seems to have their own preferred method , imho the SDC has a language all of its own and nothing can beat spending time on the machine and using a test piece often ! I keep the machine on while walking to a spot as I reckon it tunes your ears in and run my machine very hot and listen for the unique sound of gold through the warble and I always noise cancel twice in the direction I am detecting when kicking off. Not the recommended method but works for me , good luck mate.

Cheers

Latest posts