Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great as a travelling detector, easy to stow without taking up to much room, looks lighter and of higher build quality than the the ATX too - really like the design. :) Downside is pricing, apparently quoted at around the $4000 mark(quoted from a dealer on another forum), no coil options, and no visible discrimination for iron that I can see.

Will there a large coil offered in the future, as this page shows the F3 UXO fitted with a 45cm coil for greater coverage and depth, but that may eat into gpx5000 sales and that wouldn't be good business, plus it is a fixed design vs the foldaway F3 Compact/SDC2300 design.

http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/countermine/mine-detectors/f3-uxo

I would have seriously considered a couple for our big trip away down the track, but the pricing is more top end vs mid range to me.

Question is, are you paying for new detector technology, or the compact foldaway design and shock/waterproof capabilities, considering this detector has existing in the form of the F3 compact for a few years now? :/

Well I must admit even tho I wouldn't spend the money to buy one I do like it very much it's soooo compact, would be great on a postie, is there other coils? One bigger coil like 14" would make it a have to have unit

It looks like a good little unit.

4k seems a little high for mid-range. Good that it's waterproof.

Now we just need to see 2300 vs.5000 sats. :cool: Oh boy...

Hello all!
Went out for a first trial with the SDC2300 yesterday in a little known area
The machine is very impressive, no gold found, but small lead shot down to about 8"
It was easy to set up and the signals were very clear
The only couple of down sides, was the coil seems to change angle very easily and the arm rest is a nightmare
I saw a modification on another forum with a PVC sleeve fitted to the arm rest, so will try that out

Goldstrijk :)

I hit the water with my Minelab SDC 2300 this morning, and found 4 pieces of gold jewelry, three pieces of silver jewelry, $34.00 in soggy bills and an iphone.
The gold jewelry is as follows, heavy 0.6 ounce 18K band, 18K ring with opal, 14K ear ring and 9K claddagh ring stamped with hall marks and Made In Ireland.
The sign did not say anything about finding gold or silver jewelry.
1405809448_dscf0207.jpg
1405809484_dscf0224.jpg
1405809504_dscf0240.jpg
1405809520_dscf0249.jpg

PhaseTech said:
Heatho said:
Same armrest cover as the GPX's Nenad? Had a bugger of a time the other day with the armrest folding in, it's fine in you have a thin shirt but with a thick jacket it is very difficult. Nice fix for it.

The jack would be handy too as I'm not a fan of the supplied HP, they move around all over my head.

Yep, but first you have to velcro in a solid armrest, then slide the cover over the top. The cover stops the straps from flopping around as well.
For the solid armrest I just used the minelab plastic armrest (still used on the Excalibur) and just cut the bottom off it. I've done a video on it, but haven't got around to uploading yet. I can tell you, it makes swinging the SDC so much sweeter.
Some more info on the mod. Its in the "My first impression of the SDC2300" thread started by Steve Herschbach

Nice haul mate, very nice finds. Can't wait till it warms up here so I can get my skinny pale white legs in the water and find some treasure like that.

goldstrijk said:
Hello all!

The only couple of down sides, was the coil seems to change angle very easily

Goldstrijk :)

g'day mate
don't be scared to do the coil up tight, it won't break and won't move when done up tight.

regards tm

Thanks guys for the info
One more question tho, I was using the GPX harness and hip stick
Anyone got any ideas to attach the bungy cord, I just had it looped around the upper shaft, which was ok, but hits your fingers when swinging?
If these problems can be taken care of, it would be a dream machine to use!

Thanks Gary - been reading your books and hunting with the Soveriegn and CTX - thanks for all the great advice - my finds have been improving ever since... ;)

G'day Gary, I'm always reading your blog and bought the ctx and beach hunting books. I can say it has increased my finds if you look through mine and paulmarrs posts.

The bungy cord mount that is supplied with the Pro-Swing harness will fit around the sdc shaft. I think you can get these in the pro-swing kit.

Took my sdc2300 to the Talbot state Forrest today but only found lead shot and nothing deeper than 3 inches.
Am I doing something wrong or just in the wrong location. There were heaps of diggings all around us.

1405842145_image.jpg

g'day
the lack of depth could have something to do with swing speed, I noticed when I'm wandering back
to the car at a quicker pace than I normally detect with the 23 I get shallow stuff.
but when working an area slower it gets stupid depths on little bird shot and tiny gold.
so I'd suggest slow down abit.
even if your in the wrong area for gold you should still be pulling tiny bird shot at depth because
they are everywhere.
regards tm

Latest posts