Large nuggets sold overseas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was fortunate to sight the 2.4 kilo nugget recently found at Dunolly when I was at the Gold Expo at Bendigo. Does anyone know if permission is needed to sell large nuggets to overseas buyers. I suspect big brother would be involved.

Once upon a time we had a steady flow of yanks visit Dunolly and surrounding areas, always paid cash.
Now just the odd one.

I thought in the 1990s the government imposed restrictions on sales of large Nuggets found in Australia?
Not sure of the weight cut off limit, though i am sure the article was in Gold Gem & Treasure?

Not sure of the current ruling or if still in place, perhaps the knowledgeable Reg Wilson or Cordell Kent would know.

Back then there were no rules, or should I say a lot ignored them. a lot of pushing and grading on crown land. Blokes used to drag sleepers on a chain to clear a path. The caravan parks were packed. Most went out in the mornings, got their 20 grams and sold it to the Rattlesnake, then propped up a corner in the Railway or the Royal.
Repeat next day.

No what you mean Outback, my wife managed to get a photo of the nugget held in here hand.

Some might think im out of line .But i paid $12 to enter this gold expo and couldnt even buy a battery charger for a detector so i guess anyone can decide what you can call a gold expo and charge what they want for entry.So you find big gold do with it what you want .

lordo.1 said:
Some might think im out of line .But i paid $12 to enter this gold expo and couldnt even buy a battery charger for a detector so i guess anyone can decide what you can call a gold expo and charge what they want for entry.So you find big gold do with it what you want .

If you were only after a charger, why pay $12 when the Minelab dealer is only 1.5 km from the "Expo"

MacRob said:
No what you mean Outback, my wife managed to get a photo of the nugget held in here hand.

Lucky her , she must have been a strong girl to hold up that weight :Y:
Just wish i had the chance to feel it in my own hands !

MacRob said:
Must admit Outback, she had both her hands cupped to hold onto it!
Must have been a buzz to feel such a heavy gold nugget , wish Id'e had that chance .

Kerry Packer should have bought it .
He won & lost millions .

Look at it the other way if I am buying a new car I got to all the dealer to get the best price .so selling a item don't you want the best price ,the amount of money they have had to spend just to get the claim through plus running the machinery ever day its not cheap regards john :Y:

I think this is what MacRob is referring to:

1555546160_macrob.jpg

lordo.1 said:

There was quite a lot for sale at the expo. Many different brands of detectors, coils, all sorts of prospecting tools & gold recovery equipment, camping gear. I don't know why you would enter just for a detector charger

Outback said:
Was a real shame that The Hand of Faith ' was sold overseas . :brokenh:

Imagine how many people would have paid $5 bucks just to hold it for a photo !

Apparently this one has already been sold to a Texan who likes collecting large Aussie nuggets.

Latest posts