In field GPS mapping and data logging

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I intend to work the ground below the various shafts looking for indications of what might have been washed out from the tailings over the past 150 years or so since they were deposited.

If there is reasonable indications then I need to look at working the tailings through a sluice or dry blower.....the original miners did not use much more that their pick and shovels as there were stamping batteries in a few places withing tough walking distance.

I just need some spare time to indulge my concepts

G'day

I'm in the field now using MM, Gisroam and GPS kit HD. The last one lets me cache GE areas to a chosen resolution and automatically switches to them when out of service range. Found it very easy to use and I've been updating and adding photos + info to my marks on the fly
1372564641_image.jpg

Cheers

Chimpy

Hi Chimpy,
This sounds like exactly what I require.
Do you have this on your home computer as well as your mobile arrangement and did this require two licenses?
What are you using as your mobile device?
What is the GPS kit HD...excuse my ignorance.

I have a Panasonic toughbook that I wish to use for just the purpose you seem to be using yours for so hopefully this could be my solution.

regards
xobazzip

Hi Chimpy again,

I really like the screen shot of the display panel.....is this peculiar to your mobile device or is this part of the MM software?

regards

xobazzip

From Historical society research in this area there was lots of alluvial gold being panned in the river and one quote stated "there could be seen a miner panning for gold every 500 yards along both sides of the river.

I think one of Wals High Bankers could be the answer to test some of the deposited heavy material on the numerous sand bars although some crevice cleaning would be essential in the cracks I can see in the shelf rock that the river flows over in flood.

I have lots of material to play with while I am waiting for some spare time to test the waters.

xobazzip

Xobazzap, the geoscience site allows you to create your own map at 250k scale. you can then download from the email you will get. i am sure it is getaged so the pdf will be usable in mapping programs. you can also dl other datasets if you have a sniff around that site. you can get geographic maps also

G'day

Sorry for the late reply- I've got to walk up a hill to get reception :( the pic is of GPSkitHD.
It's an app for ipad and not sure what other platforms it works on. I just googled it and it seems they have a GPS kit HD android version. Brilliant as long as you cache areas you want before losing reception. It uses your gps when offline. I find it compliments GisRoam and Memory Map perfectly
You can import/export maps and files as well as add info and photo's to marks. I add mining report refs and location pics to most of my marks
1372681467_image.jpg

Cheers

Chimpy

Hey Casper ,

just wondering which app you used for the PDF maps I had a look and there is a few different ones ? I don't want to get the wrong one.

Cheers,
Goldandsand

Thanks Chimpy,
I will see if this app will work with my toughbook
Nice image mate....nothing like announcing your presence to the satellites

regards
xobazzip

G'day

I gave up valuable swinging time to do that. Now I've got to wait for Google to update it's satellite images :|

Cheers

Chimpy

Hi xobazzip
If you want a free app & plug-n-play state maps (at a value for money price) try the android avenza app at http://www.pdf-maps.com/get-pdf-maps
Been using Avenza pdf maps for a few years & it is a nice easy app to use - as long as you have gps input if you want to log your track or see where you are on a map.
cheers
Jed