In field GPS mapping and data logging

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and playing around the edges.

I purchased a retreat wilderness property a few years back and have discovered lots of abandoned shafts and leads on the property.
Further research has uncovered a lot of Gold History in this area and recently a NEW Gold Mine has just been opened about 10 klms away from my property.

I have purchased a digital Gold Locations with way points for Australia and lo and behold it clearly points to a number of places on my property and many more surrounding it.
I am looking for a way to be able to "walk in" as this is a very remote area using a GPS and locate some of these old sites...I am sure I know some of them but there are more I haven't discovered as yet.

I have looked at most of the hand held GPS units and was not really happy with them as the screens are very small and not so full sunlight friendly (I have OLD EYES)

On the advice of a knowledgeable nerd I have purchased a cheap TOUGHBOOK with inbuilt GPS as these are used as field units for exploration etc and they have a large screen which work in full sunlight and are a touch pad.

I am asking for advice on a supply of topographical maps in the best resolution possible...I understand that I can easily obtain 1: 250,000 but was looking for something that has better resolution.

I am considering Oziexplorer as a software base to work with these maps.

Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.

regards

xobazzip

Last edited by a moderator:
xobazzip said:
I have purchased a remote property a few years back that has a lot of shafts and leads...I have some GPS location data for old working sites on and around my property.
I am an older gent and my eyes are not so good on small hand held GPS screens so I purchased a secondhand ToughBook and am in need on a decent software and maps to operate this unit in these remote locations.

Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.

regards

xobazzip

is there mobile phone coverage on the property so you could use it for internet access ?

I dont know what software he is using but google earth is a free one i use . but you need an internet connection for it . i use my mobile phone to connect to my laptop for that in places where i do have mobile phone coverage.

I also use my tomtom car navigator which will show me my GPS location if i click on "status and information , then GPS status "

1372465095_sam.jpg

I am sure if you phone around a few shops you will find a GPS unit with a big screen

sorry xobazzip , i replied to your other post but looks like your already ahead of me with the software you have now

If you're going inside old shafts it pays to have an offsider with you in case of cave-ins . they can stand outside with a shovel and UHF at the ready ;)

have fun out there.

Thanks for the info.
I will follow up on the URL .
I do not have any mobile coverage on this property as it is quite remote and I would like to use the Toughbook as I can record all sort of data at the same time as well as upload images etc to remind me when I get back home that I actually was out there.

regards

xobazzip

I have just checked out the URL and lo and behold this is what I paid good money for on a disc.

Well I am glad that I haven't wasted my dough if you guys considered this to be worth having.

I am looking for reputable 1:100,00 or 1:50,000 topographical maps and I have been told that there are even 1:25,000 available for some areas but can't seem to locate them at the moment.

regards

xobazzip

xobazzip said:
Thanks for the info.
I will follow up on the URL .
I do not have any mobile coverage on this property as it is quite remote and I would like to use the Toughbook as I can record all sort of data at the same time as well as upload images etc to remind me when I get back home that I actually was out there.

regards

xobazzip

yes

you have the built in GPS in the toughbook so you can back up the GPS waypoint before you leave that spot , save them on a spreadsheet if you felt inclined , with notes about what you find , what you think is there , photos of rock samples etc

sounds good.

are you going to be using a detector inside the tunnels and shafts or does the mining history record fine gold being found there ?

xobazzip said:
I have just checked out the URL and lo and behold this is what I paid good money for on a disc.

Well I am glad that I haven't wasted my dough if you guys considered this to be worth having.

I am looking for reputable 1:100,00 or 1:50,000 topographical maps and I have been told that there are even 1:25,000 available for some areas but can't seem to locate them at the moment.

regards

xobazzip

the info that you ( and me ) purchased on that CD might show at a guess maybe 30 - 50 % of the places where gold has ever been found

Back in the goldrush days few people would have trusted the government mining inspectors , assuming they even spoke english to begin with , so i think even my 30 % estimate is conservative.

which state of Australia are you in ? ( you dont need to provide any more detail than that about your location here ) ;)

http://mapconnect.ga.gov.au/MapConnect/250K/

http://www.resources.nsw.gov.au/lightning-ridge/maps

https://six.nsw.gov.au/wps/portal/index.php

Thanks DD

I have joined that web site as it really does appear to have a lot of interesting information

regards

xobazzip

Thanks HeadsUp,

Point well taken as some of these are deep and dark.

They must have been midgets or Welshmen as they are small and they remind me of some of the holes I saw in South Australia.

I am mainly concerned with sorting through the tailing heaps initially as from all the research I have done suggests that the nearest stamping batteries were up to 5 klms away through rough country so they must have been quite selective with what they carted off for recovery.

Might need to dig deep and purchase a metal detector to make that task a little more attractive.

regards

Xobazzip

Hi there HeadsUp

I am in New South Wales up near the Queensland Border country.

The reason I purchased the Toughbook was its ruggedness and longer battery life as well as being able to remove the screen and use it as a tablet when in the bush.

I don't have a detector yet as my day job has not generated the necessary "spare coin" to indulge my hobbies...there is always something else that needs fixing first.

I would probably go the way of the GPX 5000 but I do have a lot of river with granite boulders, cracks and crevices as well as Gnamma holes all over the place....this place really floods when it want to and a river rise of 13 meters is common.

regards

xobazzip

xobazzip said:
Hi there HeadsUp

I am in New South Wales up near the Queensland Border country.

The reason I purchased the Toughbook was its ruggedness and longer battery life as well as being able to remove the screen and use it as a tablet when in the bush.

I don't have a detector yet as my day job has not generated the necessary "spare coin" to indulge my hobbies...there is always something else that needs fixing first.

I would probably go the way of the GPX 5000 but I do have a lot of river with granite boulders, cracks and crevices as well as Gnamma holes all over the place....this place really floods when it want to and a river rise of 13 meters is common.

regards

xobazzip

The GPX5000 is expensive when you consider they probably cost $ 600 each to manufacture . and the true numbers might be that 90 % of people who buy one never find more than $ 200 worth of gold.

If you are tempted to look at a second hand GPX be warned there are many chinese fakes out there that are hard to distinguish from the real thing . go to the minelab website to read about that.

There are older models like SD2200 that work fairly well and they sell for $ 900 - 2000 or so each , or cheaper machines like AT gold and a few others that sell for $ 500 - 1200 each from new from memory.

If its private land where you are with no access for Joe public , you might get some results by using a crevicing pump and a sluice for starters

read posts here about loaming or search the internet for " loaming for gold "

Diggerdude said:
Try an iPad, I use one for all my digital mapping in the field.
Here is a link to some info on using it. You can get maps for each state from the state government websites for free.

http://goldnuggetadventures.com/category/gps-and-mapping/

DD

your tools look better than what i have been playing with DD

memory map and GISRoam etc look tops

G'day mate, I use Memory Maps as well, I have licensed my PC, Mobile Phone and a 7" Nexus tablet [ which i use in car]
You can work on the PC, add info then sync all devices with the updates.
The Topo's are great, impossible to get lost.

1372489941_somewhere.jpg

If you're in Victoria go here for your topo maps http://www.land.vic.gov.au/ they're cheap and all geo referenced and ready to go on your iphone or ipad using software called PDF Maps which is down loadable from the Land Channel site. I have Memory Map and Bitmap and ihike but my preference is PDF Maps. I use it on an old iphone in the LandRover for my navigation when off road - works brilliantly.

1372513711_photo.jpg

casper

Do any of these map programs whork with google maps waypoints?
Like if I was to download the gold locations on the other thread into any of these map readers?