I Remember When...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple from the old camp ground below the railway line at Kiama. We had a 1964 FJ Holden, blue.

526.JPG

Following year we were late booking and ended up just under the railway line.
528.JPG

My Grand Parents in their home built caravan also at Kiama, same years. They had one of the first Holdens that was released, they purchased in the Yass area as the Essex they had had given up the ghost.
533.JPG

Great photos and great memories. Kiama was my old home town many years ago as a young bloke and my Mum had a house in Shoalhaven Ave. My mothers and step- fathers ashes were scattered in the water in the first photo. Great place then and very, very expensive now. Thanks for the photos, cheers. Mackka

Not only expensive, the last time we called in there about 6 months ago, it took 20 minutes to travel the short distance along Terralong Street from where you enter from Sydney to where you turn right to head further down the coast along Shoalhaven Street. People were just parked in the middle of the road waiting for a car to back out so they could grab the parking space and that was during the week, so we no longer bother to call in. This is all because there is now a dual roadway with no towns from the south side of Sydney to the north side of Nowra.

We now live near Huskisson and that is becoming similar most of the year, at present with all the holiday makers we do not go out unless absolutely necessary.

I remember $9.99 Tooheys throw downs for a carton. Dad used to drink KB beer or Reschs at dinner time. $1 for a pack of smokes and $1 schooies at the rsl. The nite club had $1 spirits Thursday nites and petrol was 48 c a litre. We used to watch the Paul Hogan show it was hilarious but now deemed politically incorrect. Times have changed a bit!

Lived in Hurstville in the mid 1950,s, used to go around all the nearby neighbours and get all the old newspapers that they had and roll them into a reasonable sized bundle, would load them on my billy cart and drag them up to the Fish and Chips shop or the butchers and was paid one penny a pound for the papers, did reasonably well until my mother found out that I was spending it on lollies and ice creams and made me put it in a Commonwealth Bank money box and it was near impossible to get any back out sneakily, so that ended my forays to the lolly shops and a way of quick cash.

Last edited:
Doing the first year of my fitting and turning apprenticeship at Vickers Ruwolt in Melbourne in 1971, payday for a first year apprentice rewarded me with $17.60 per week, which bought plenty of cold ones at 7c a glass, 10c a pot at the Clifton pub at Kew junction after work on payday arvos. My mate and I ruled the pool table 🙂

I resolved to give up smoking when Marlboro hit 40c a packet (they were 39c at the time), but I smoked Flagship rollies or Vi's, Viscounts for you young 'uns 😎.

Fortunately I survived it all 🙂.

Phil

Doing the first year of my fitting and turning apprenticeship at Vickers Ruwolt in Melbourne in 1971, payday for a first year apprentice rewarded me with $17.60 per week, which bought plenty of cold ones at 7c a glass, 10c a pot at the Clifton pub at Kew junction after work on payday arvos. My mate and I ruled the pool table 🙂

I resolved to give up smoking when Marlboro hit 40c a packet (they were 39c at the time), but I smoked Flagship rollies or Vi's, Viscounts for you young 'uns 😎.

Fortunately I survived it all 🙂.

Phil
Started my 5 year Fitting & Turning apprenticeship in 1962, took home a £4. 7/6. 1974 married with two daughters, home mortagage, car payments, grossed $77.00 took home $66.00/week. We survived.

Started my apprenticeship on Jan 19th 1976, the day of the predicted tidal wave which was supposed to wipe Adelaide from the map.
working came as a bit of a shock, 9 hour days Mon Wed and Fri, 12 hr days, Tues and Thurs and 4hrs Sat, first two years were those hours.

Latest posts