I Remember When...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday night, after dinner, old Jim would come around home with his horse and sulky. Mum, Dad, myself ( 5 y/o) and Jim would trot off to the Railway Hotel in Kandos NSW 4.5 miles away and Dad wouldhave a skin full whilst Mum sat in the Ladies Parlour Room sipping on a beer and me having a lemonade and a packet of Smiths Chicken Flavoured Chips. Later on when the pub closed, we got back into the sulky and the horse would take us home and only stopped when we got there. True Story. Mackka

mum would run the mutton fat ( the seasoning anti rust )rag over the top of the slow combustion stove, then throw the crumpets on there to cook them ,golden and crunchy on both sides and soft in the middle
unfortunately i found out (later in life )that a air fryer cooks them the same way
i won't mention the middle age line 🤣

I remember when you bought any toaster it had a crumpet setting. I am not talking about the prong fork that we had to use

No crumpet setting on mine either mate🤣🤣🤣🤣 . Everytime time I walk through a mall and get that smell of burnt cheese, i almost throw up.
Growing up as a kid, I do remember us all sitting around the “range” , i.e. wood stove, to stay warm and Dad would play the harmonica so we had a sing song to forget the cold.

Today i went to a mates funeral and I was surprised and disgusted at the same time. A young bloke turned up wearing a t-shirt, shorts and thongs ( pluggers). As an old fart, I was taken aback. Then I looked at the other side of the coin when i was a young bloke with the arse out of my trousers and thought, this young bloke is showing his respect to the dead and who am I to judge on his attire. I would be very happy to have this young bloke attend my funeral. As a mate of mine , a Bishop, once said to me over a cuppa, Don’t Judge, Adjust!!!
Farewell Ian and I will meet up with you again. God Bless Mackka

Agree 100%, It is the person you want to see, not the clothes they are wearing. My parents were very religious and my mother would come home from Church every Sunday and complain bitterly about what clothes other congregation members were wearing, so I grew up from a very young age thinking it was all about the clothes people wore and that was the reason that they all went to Church.

we were spoilt mackka we had a wood heater in the lounge room
of a night mum would shut the doors to the passage ways and lounge room and turn the flu down on the slow combustion stove with a good piece of wood in it
it was a mad dash from the bedroom in the morning to the kitchen to dodge the cold air ,that room was like heaven on cold mornings
and then mum would heat flat rocks in the oven and wrap them in newspaper and we would put them in the pants pockets as hand warmers while waiting for the school bus to arrive
if you didn't hand the stone's in when you got home from school you missed out the next morning
ahh the good old days wouldn't swap them for quids

Latest posts