I hate head phones SDC 2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nofind

Richard
Reaction score
just tried my newO sdc2300 out on the beach

So noisy I had to use headphones

I have not used them before but what a pain

The cord is not long enough and the bloody things kept falling off
I also could not wear my hat

I am sure you can do better but just need a place to winge

After coming back from the beach I cleaned the coil but rinsing it on a bucket of water magi

I did go out yesterday and found $3.50 so on my way to pay for it ?

I was finding lots of bottle tops down around a foot deep as well

I traded my 4500 on for this one cause I just never us it and found it a pain to cart around

Bloody hell Nofind, sounds like the weight of the world is on your shoulders.
You can increase the length of the cord a little by warming it up and stretching the coils out of it. I agree though, they are too short. Also agree about the headphones, loose and very hot. I've used some plug in ear pieces on my 2300 but the headphones are better IMO. But i've gotta say i'm wrapped in the 2300 despite the average headphones.

The background noise on the beach is the same for most detectors, I have the same issue with the Explorer SE Pro and need to utilise headphones for that reason. The Koss UR30 headphones have a habit of slipping off when put under any sort of tension, that's common across the Minelab range where they are supplied as standard headphones. You will find that the coils will stretch out after a while, making recovery easier when the detector is set on the ground.

Even the more expensive aftermarket headphones like Sunrays and Grey Ghosts actually have shorter cables than the supplied UR30's, so the coils will have to be stretched out to the desired length for comfortable operation, or use an aftermarket headphone adapter to run whatever headphones you like.

As for your $3.50 and bottle caps, using a PI detector with no discrimination on the beach is always going to be a fun time picking out the good from the bad, not to mention all the small bits of wire, iron, bobby pins and aluminium it will pick up. That was one of the main reasons I stopped using a PI detector on the beach, and reverted back to a multi-frequency detector using target ID's and discrimination. You are probably better off getting out into the water and rocky areas where there is less modern/lighter junk, and more of the sought after heavies. :)

Nofind said:
grubstake said:

What a beauty?

I use them myself and they work OK.

1429785763_funnelweb_mower_prospector.jpg

As a matter of interest can I use my bose head phones with the detector

I have the adapter with 1/4" female plug

I will give them a go ASAP but would like to know if it is a good option

They got better and have more noise canceling than the clumsy koss ones

Richard

Nofind said:
As a matter of interest can I use my bose head phones with the detector
I have the adapter with 1/4" female plug
I will give them a go ASAP but would like to know if it is a good option
They got better and have more noise canceling than the clumsy koss ones
Richard

Only one way to find out for sure... :)

It won't do any harm to try them.

same reasoning.. I use my sennheiser in ear phones with an adaptor ..they are noise cancelling and I think are better than the external earphones I got with the minelab..plus I can wear my Akubra...and the speaker lead is long enough to go under my shirt from the belt mount and doesn't get caught.. :D well it works for me

statusquo said:
same reasoning.. I use my sennheiser in ear phones with an adaptor ..they are noise cancelling and I think are better than the external earphones I got with the minelab..plus I can wear my Akubra...and the speaker lead is long enough to go under my shirt from the belt mount and doesn't get caught.. :D well it works for me
I was testing this today but ran out of time before trying the bose ones
I did try my sennheiser ear plugs and ones from apple iphone
I was running it throug a b&z booster
What I found was that with the boost on I got a high pitch sound coming through but when I turned the boost off it worked ok
I need to try it with out the booster which I guess is the same as having the boost off.

My test area is not the best at the moment and will be testing again on the beach

It looks promising though

Richard

I have been doing some reading re using headphones and the b&z booster with the sdc

I get the impression I should use the bypass switch on the booster when using headphones connected to the booster

Is that true?

Richard

You shouldn't need a booster if using headphones unless you have hearing issues so yes in bypass. If you do use it in boost you need to be aware of volume level especially with the SDC. Small, shallow targets can even give a loud signal & you don't want the volume too high on start up etc. or you may find if you didn't have hearing issues you will have!
Detectors were made for headphone use & a booster is really only needed to drive external speakers.
Personally whenever I have switched back to headphones (rarely) I remove the booster but some may find it better to use it?

Y
mbasko said:
You shouldn't need a booster if using headphones unless you have hearing issues so yes in bypass. If you do use it in boost you need to be aware of volume level especially with the SDC. Small, shallow targets can even give a loud signal & you don't want the volume too high on start up etc. or you may find if you didn't have hearing issues you will have!
Detectors were made for headphone use & a booster is really only needed to drive external speakers.
Personally whenever I have switched back to headphones (rarely) I remove the booster but some may find it better to use it?

Many thanks for your reply

Did a run today on the beach and it is better in bypass as you say

I found out the hard way about the volume when boost is on ?

I also prefer the speakers but as I am on the beach there is a lot of noise and other people so head phones required
I used my sennheiser ear plug ones
They work but I am getting some background noise and the threshold hum I used to get with the 4500 is more of a burble, not smooth but is still workable and when you come on to something it goes nuts as expected
I found another bottle top about 18" down and a tip of a knife.

The reason why I want to use my booster with the head phones as it is just easier to switch between the speakers and head phones by using the booster plug
This way I can tuck away all the wires in the cover and leave them in there.
also as this is new I am testing out the best place for the booster when I do use it.

Richard

Richard we've found the SDC a real pain on the beach for the same reason. It's totally unusable in standard form without some sort of volume control. We ended up with the adapter and Sun Ray Gold earphones. It does nothing to help the SDC handle the conditions but it does help your ears and those around you.

The Garrett ATX will run silently along side the SDC until it finds a target. If you go for the Funnel Webb hat you might need to buy the larger size to what you would usually wear. I take a medium but for the Funnel Webb I had to get the large and that is a tight fit. It works well with the headphones on the ATX and gives you really good protection from behind where the sun usually strikes the back of your neck.

Phil

Moneybox said:
Richard we've found the SDC a real pain on the beach for the same reason. It's totally unusable in standard form without some sort of volume control. We ended up with the adapter and Sun Ray Gold earphones. It does nothing to help the SDC handle the conditions but it does help your ears and those around you.

Phil

I used mine on the beach the other day and it ran great with the standard headphones, was getting some coins down over a foot easy. It's loud through headphones when a target is close to the coil but not overly loud.

I just don't get what you mean by "handle the conditions"? Was the threshold tone wobbling or a stable tone? If it is wobbling it is not auto tuned properly. It is certainly NOT meant to run silently if that's what you're getting at? You need the threshold tone, some people just find it annoying compared to machines that run with no threshold tone. People who have owned or used other minelab PI's will know this.

There is little point comparing it to an ATX as they are not the same.

I find with the headphones other than standard ones it is wobbly , I did auto tune but may have to do it again

I tried the speaker today with the booster and it went well finding bottle tops down about 18"
The sound was a lot better

They need an adapter that converts the supplied headphones into a 1/4" plug
Maybe there is one

I will keep trying

Richard

Nofind said:
I find with the headphones other than standard ones it is wobbly , I did auto tune but may have to do it again

I tried the speaker today with the booster and it went well finding bottle tops down about 18"

Maybe there is one

I will keep trying

Richard

I've found sometimes you need to do multiple auto tunes to get it stable up to 3 or 4, mainly you don't need to but sometimes it does help.

I don't think there is an adapter for the SDC connection to 1/4" though there may be one.

Heatho said:
Nofind said:

Maybe there is one

I will keep trying

Richard

I've found sometimes you need to do multiple auto tunes to get it stable up to 3 or 4, mainly you don't need to but sometimes it does help.

I don't think there is an adapter for the SDC connection to 1/4" though there may be one.

Will try that next time

With the speakers the threshold sound seemed more like you expect

I took my son out today and he was also finding bottle tops with the best of them ?
It was his first time
My grand daughter even had a go

So far I am enjoying this machine despite a few annoyances.

I don't care I find bottle tops, the fact I got to spend a few hours on the beach in a beautiful day makes it worth it

I have read where some one cut the deficit plug off the headphones and put on a 1/4" one
I am not that game

richard

Nofind said:
Heatho said:
Nofind said:

Maybe there is one

I will keep trying

Richard

Will try that next time

With the speakers the threshold sound seemed more like you expect

I took my son out today and he was also finding bottle tops with the best of them ?
It was his first time
My grand daughter even had a go

So far I am enjoying this machine despite a few annoyances.

I don't care I find bottle tops, the fact I got to spend a few hours on the beach in a beautiful day makes it worth it

I have read where some one cut the deficit plug off the headphones and put on a 1/4" one
I am not that game

richard

If you haven't come across it already, Nenad from Phasetech (is a forum member) makes an adapter from the SDC plug to the standard large socket. Then if you need you can get a standard adapter from the large to small plug to allow you to use a range of lightweight in ear style earphones.

Rob.

Latest posts