My First Ever Gold Nugget!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice size too. My first was about that size 0.8g because I was walking about looking for a convincing signal. As time goes on they seem to get smaller :lol:

Ya done good Trace.... really really good (more native s gold than I've ever found all put together).
Very happy for ya :p
(nice looking pair too) :goldnugget: :goldnugget:

Unfortunately no photos of my first find.
Step back to 1982, my first detector, a brand new Garrett Deepseeker and yours truly was at the point of contracting the serious affliction, Gold Fever.
I was sitting at the bar in the top pub in Meekatharra writing post cards to my daughters. When I put the pen down and ordered a beer the lady sitting next to me commented. You must be finding a lot of gold to be writing for so long? Introduced myself to Bill & Nancy and replied, Still trying to find my first nugget. We chatted over a couple of beers and Bill invited me to join them at the Shell cafe for a meal, so, they could show me something.
I agreed and followed them in my vehicle. When we were seated and meal ordered Bill commented that Nancy would pass something from her handbag under the table to me and that I was to keep quiet about it. Walls have ears! I felt something heavy placed in my hand and withdrew to take a peek. Let out a gasp and was shocked to see a large lump of yellow in my hand that was later weighed in at 10 ozs. Bill & Nancy quietly told me there was more where this piece had come from and that I was invited to join them.
Meal finished, Bill gave me a mud map where to find them and I set off back to Nannine where my camp was. It was late at night when I reached the Wadda Wadda Well on the Meekatharra, Gascoyne Junction road. Became lost on the dirt track leading into the old Chesterfield goldmines so decided to pull over, roll out the swag and wait for dawn. Bills map was a breeze in the daylight and I soon found their campsite.
Very excited, my first question when we prepared to detect was; How will I know its gold if and when I find any? Nancy replied, You will just know! They hooked a spare chain onto my belt and we walked to the area where they had finished off the day before. They had chained an approximate 250 metre circle; we spread out so our detectors did not interfere and proceeded to expand the circle. Several hours later both Bill and Nancy had found about an ounce each, me nothing! They decided to go back to their van for a cuppa, being so excited I elected to carry on. They told me to let out a cooee if I found my first ever gold.
One more circle and I got a strong signal, kicked the rocks out of the way and the signal had moved. Kneeled down and checked all the quartz rocks, nothing! I swung an ironstone rock over the coil and it screamed. Felt sick in the stomach thinking all I had found was a hot rock. Rubbed away some of the red earth and there staring at me was my first gold!
Screamed out a cooee and soon both Bill & Nancy turned up puffing; Have you found a bit? This first ironstone gold specimen later gave up 45 grams of gold. Gold Fever now wracked my body. Only minutes later I unearthed a pure quartz specimen with 12 grams of AU hanging off it.
From that day on I have used the circle method of chaining with a few modifications along the way. Upgraded the detectors from the yesteryear Deepseeker through to todays GPZ-7000 & SDC-2300. When searching for a new patch we wander dragging our chains, when gold is located we use this point to begin our circle. When circling the chain follows slightly inside your footprints, in effect your swings overlap so no stone is left unturned. We circle and if we are onto a patch a directional run will be revealed. (Have attached a mud map of how we achieve this.)
Now the difference, we begin parallel searches in the direction of the run, one spreading out left the other to the right. The parallel search pattern only extends for approximately 50 metres then 180 turn takes us back to the start and so on. We spread out until no further gold is found in say the last two parallel runs. If any gold is found at or near the end of the 50 metre run, we start again at the turning point and repeat exercise.
We have been fortunate over the years and especially 2019 where by we ended up with over 100 small nuggets (2+ ozs) from an area only 100 metres from a known patch from years gone by. Sometimes you cant help but think; How was this gold missed?
The biggest mistake most make is they extend their parallel run for hundreds of metres. It is nothing but daunting when you look back and think I walked all this way and now I have to do it all again. Wander, find first gold then circle first, then parallel chain a short distance; extend out if the gold keeps coming.
From small circles big things grow. Chaining in some peoples eyes is boring but if you want to find gold it is a definite tried and proven method.

Well heres my latest update. Had been out most of the day and had not found much of anything including birdshot. Realised later it was called poverty gully, thought well that explains it.. then..Was heading back to the car all worn out. Was thinking of just turning the machine off as I headed back through the bush. Then realised I was near the road so went that way as it was easier and was lazily swinging as I went. Just as I got to the road I got a signal just on the side so away I dug. Next thing woohoo an actual nugget compared to my first two bits. It actually made it over a gram. 1.345grams.
1632469309_a9cfca55-5aff-4f23-9092-24b13e630069.jpg

Nightjar said:
You are having an excellent start Trace, congratulations.
Thanks Nightjar, loved your first find story too. How do you go with dragging a chain through the bush, dont you get all tangled up. Or is it clear where you do that. I dont know how I would go around Rushworth its very leafy and bushy and stuff.

Last edited:
Ain't it fun hey ? Just like digging $50 notes out of a hole in the ground 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 Congrats 👍 You also won't go wrong with an SDC, keep it regardless of what if and when you perhaps purchase another machine .................... maybe one for the hubby even ? ;)

Latest posts