I hate head phones SDC 2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
Moneybox said:
Richard we've found the SDC a real pain on the beach for the same reason. It's totally unusable in standard form without some sort of volume control. We ended up with the adapter and Sun Ray Gold earphones. It does nothing to help the SDC handle the conditions but it does help your ears and those around you.

Phil

I used mine on the beach the other day and it ran great with the standard headphones, was getting some coins down over a foot easy. It's loud through headphones when a target is close to the coil but not overly loud.

I just don't get what you mean by "handle the conditions"? Was the threshold tone wobbling or a stable tone? If it is wobbling it is not auto tuned properly. It is certainly NOT meant to run silently if that's what you're getting at? You need the threshold tone, some people just find it annoying compared to machines that run with no threshold tone. People who have owned or used other minelab PI's will know this.

There is little point comparing it to an ATX as they are not the same.

Sorry Heatho I just find this the most annoying little machine. I don't use it but I've never see it operating with a steady stable threshold. It's always wobbling so perhaps she should try the multiple retunes.

Today she took it out at Clermont and only went a few metres before the batteries dropped dead. We've never owned a Minelab before so perhaps these annoying things are just to be expected. If it had been the White's or the ATX we'd get a battery warning at least an hour before they run flat. I had already left and when she caught up she way swinging the White's. I had a spare set of batteries there ready to go but didn't realise the ones in the machine were nearly flat. When we start finding some gold with it I might change my mind but for now it's no fun to play with.

I suggest you read the manual MB

1430090855_capturez.jpg

Redfin said:

Thanks Redfin, as i said I don't use this machine and Mrs M is used to the White's where you never need to think about batteries. They last so long you forget they are even there but just in case you've forgotten there's a handy warning when they are nearing flat.

I took Heatho's advice this morning and did a couple of retunes. The first with the coil flat on the ground and then another with the machine lying on the ground and the coil at about 45 deg. It worked. Instead of the threshold sounding like a lot of people shouting over each other in a crowded room, now its just like standing in a cage with a dozen or so canaries.

Mrs M was busy cleaning and stacking old bottles so I decided to park the ATX and take the SDC for a swing. I find the intermittent chirps on the lowest threshold setting difficult but the continual light chatter on level two is quite easy to use. After the first hour or so I had my first little (very little) nugget of this trip :)

Moneybox said:
Redfin said:

Thanks Redfin, as i said I don't use this machine and Mrs M is used to the White's where you never need to think about batteries. They last so long you forget they are even there but just in case you've forgotten there's a handy warning when they are nearing flat.

I took Heatho's advice this morning and did a couple of retunes. The first with the coil flat on the ground and then another with the machine lying on the ground and the coil at about 45 deg. It worked. Instead of the threshold sounding like a lot of people shouting over each other in a crowded room, now its just like standing in a cage with a dozen or so canaries.

Mrs M was busy cleaning and stacking old bottles so I decided to park the ATX and take the SDC for a swing. I find the intermittent chirps on the lowest threshold setting difficult but the continual light chatter on level two is quite easy to use. After the first hour or so I had my first little (very little) nugget of this trip :)

Well done MB, good news on the nug mate. 1 more suggestion though is to turn the threshold up to the 3rd led light, it will give a constant tone like a mosquito, this is the correct way to set the threshold as a constant slight tone. During the day it can get a touch chattery if the is a lot of EMI, if there is just do a retune or 2.

If you have a constant smooth tone you will soon get used to the way it sounds when it goes over a target. As I said before a constant tone is the way it should be. But hey if you found a nug with the settings used that's great but you will miss the smallest ones with the threshold on 1 led in stead of 3.

Cheers