home build trailer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing some costing on building a small fully enclosed trailer for fossicking/prospecting
a mate has got old caravan windows and a door, that i will replace the glass in the windows with perspex , if the build gets the nod from the finance minister šŸ˜‡šŸ™
i am at the insulation stage of pricing and i am not sure which insulation to go with to make it comfortable to sleep in
so if any one has any suggestions on what is best and how to install it would be great
thanks in advance
cheers
sand surfer

Gā€™day SS, what size trailer are you thinking? I canā€™t picture what you mean by fully enclosed.
I built myself a off road camper trailer for a similar purpose from a h/d 7x4 high sided commercial trailer.
I just put a deck on it and got the best rooftop tent I could find and fitted it on top.
Lined the inside with marine carpet and had a Drifta kitchen made to fit.
Give us some idea of your build design.... may be able to give you some ideas and costs along the way

šŸ‘

1EE658A2-BA82-4442-909B-B787C81D0346.jpegCDE52A88-4CBA-4FF5-8396-E32DC2C045DA.jpeg6F8A7D25-973D-4486-9D5F-BC3A4ABE9E28.jpeg

Last edited:
Gā€™day SS, what size trailer are you thinking? I canā€™t picture what you mean by fully enclosed.
I built myself a off road camper trailer for a similar purpose from a h/d 7x4 high sided commercial trailer.
I just put a deck on it and got the best rooftop tent I could find and fitted it on top.
Lined the inside with marine carpet and had a Drifta kitchen made to fit.
Give us some idea of your build design.... may be able to give you some ideas and costs along the way

šŸ‘

View attachment 1301View attachment 1300View attachment 1299
Ossie that is just magnificent. Well done.

hi ozzie ,hopefully something along the lines of a small caravan (7'x4' or 7'x5' box )about 5' high from the trailer floor ,i would like to keep the height about the same or shorter than the roof of the tow vehicle(to keep wind drag down)
I am trying to get away from tents and swags as the back dislikes me with a vengeance with 2 or more nights on a camp stretcher and twice as bad in a swag, hence build a small off road box van that will go where i want to go,
and as i go alone or with a mate or two (the cook likes home and the tv to much)i don't need anything large just something to sleep in and keep the fridge and myself out of the weather(and i can buy a king single mattress that bide's well for the back win win)
i have had a good look around (camper trailers, small caravans and what not) i found that most camper trailers /caravans are too big ,to pricy or too much hassle to put up by one person with a crook back, so i thought (i know the pain was nearly unbearable šŸ¤£) why not build what i want or need for my comfort, so the hair brained idea come about over a few ales with a mate:rolleyes:

your right there mackka, thats why i put it out to the members, i know buggarall about insulation ,hope fully some one can put me on the right track
as it will be lined inside as well i only want to do it once mackka, i hate rebuilding something, do it right do it once
the eyebrows on the finance minster raised a little with the costing so far mackka
there will be no tradies mackka ,just a wise tradie mate that gets a lot wiser after every sherbert :) it will be built in the shed at home but i am not putting the mates rates in ,you probably know what happens to budgets with they are added;)

Firstly great set up Ozy, you must be a mechanic or some thing inventive like that šŸ‘šŸ˜‚ SS built a few and last one was single axle but a big unit you could drive quad into a separate garage area, that once unloaded became a shower room. For insulation use foil board, most important part is to use spacer blocks that you can also buy from them as it's the air gap that makes for the insulation. If you use an awning on sides and front etc like Oz has over his you don't really need the insulation on sidewalls as long as you have a means of keeping walls shaded. No direct sun then no insulation needed. For lining I used caravan liner, which is basically a 2.5 mm ply with a gloss finish. Makes sure you have vents and with small fans even better and only around $30. No air circulation and you will literally have condensate running down the walls as outside temp drops during the night. Probably be able to help you out a bit and also where to get good gear at the right price šŸ‘
https://www.bunnings.com.au/foilboard-20-x-2400-x-1200mm-ultra-20-insulation_p0125956

Last edited:
hi ozzie ,hopefully something along the lines of a small caravan (7'x4' or 7'x5' box )about 5' high from the trailer floor ,i would like to keep the height about the same or shorter than the roof of the tow vehicle(to keep wind drag down)
I am trying to get away from tents and swags as the back dislikes me with a vengeance with 2 or more nights on a camp stretcher and twice as bad in a swag, hence build a small off road box van that will go where i want to go,
and as i go alone or with a mate or two (the cook likes home and the tv to much)i don't need anything large just something to sleep in and keep the fridge and myself out of the weather(and i can buy a king single mattress that bide's well for the back win win)
i have had a good look around (camper trailers, small caravans and what not) i found that most camper trailers /caravans are too big ,to pricy or too much hassle to put up by one person with a crook back, so i thought (i know the pain was nearly unbearable šŸ¤£) why not build what i want or need for my comfort, so the hair brained idea come about over a few ales with a mate:rolleyes:
OK, that paints a picture....
After the insulation process, I think the next 3 things are equally important.
1. External shade/ cover over your access into the trailer via a awning, so consider that part of the framework that holds it is sufficiently braced to take the forces on it.
2. Water storage... underslung tank or drawbar space for jerrycans.
I had a custom measured 80 litre tank made by these guys.... they make any size/ shape 10mm thick water tanks.https://www.cvplastics.com.au/custom-water-tanks-for-caravans-camping-trailers-horse-floats-
https://www.cvplastics.com.au/custom-water-tanks-for-caravans-camping-trailers-horse-floats-utes3. Waterproof drawbar storage box for your 12 volt setup, etc,
532C4290-D5D8-415D-AED4-3CA6A4C7C27C.jpegA7314B1D-B1EB-4FA1-AD4A-018110D88BB5.jpeg

thanks diginit
the widow material i am not sure if it is perspex but a bloke here has a shop that they do caravan and horse float windows so i am supposing he knows what to use
i saw some of the foil board at bunnings here but no one new anything about them (typical shit that happens here) ,and every board on the pallet was just about cut into 3 pieces by some idiot with ratchet straps wrecked the lot of it
that foil board diginit do you glue it or screw to the walls and those spacer blocks what size are they and how do you attach them
when you said vents ,is that venting the gap between the walls as well as the windows for air flow , as i have 3 sets of 3 louvered wind out caravan windows about 400mm long and i was also thinking of putting a 4 seasons vent in the roof as well
there will be a awning placed on one side, the budget may not stretch to one on each side

Last edited:
Whatever way you go, try and match the Trailer wheels with the tow car wheels.... Saves carrying 2 different style spares... And build trailer to to the tow cars track width... Then your trailer will be in the same wheel track as the tow car... Saves on staking the tyres on the trailer all the time...

thanks ozzie ,nice set you have there mate, top build

i thought about a roof top tent but i am over tents with the back problems(it's mainly the right support for the back)

the entry door will be in the back left corner on the trailer and under the awning, or put at the rear with a small awning over it ,i have not made the mind up yet on where the door will go ,it depends on what side the bed will go

the water storage is sorted ozzie ,i have 4x20L jerry cans and 1x10L wide mouth jerry can with a tap for drinking water and i carry 2x20L empty jerry cans to fill with wash, shower and dunny water when i set up or on the way, they will be stored inside the box
my mates onto the lock box for the storage and electrics and my sons mate is a auto sparky, so between the pair of them they should be able to organise a decent light show when the batteries are connected
i will see how the budget looks ,i wouldn't mind a caravan 240v plug snuck in somewhere so if it's overcast or raining, i can plug the genni in to keep things charged

The spacer blocks come with peel off self adhesive and I just cut to the sheets to a neat fit in between bearers then just lay the lining board over the top. Easy to use, light and not over expensive. You can get different thickness of foil board. https://www.foilboard.com.au/
If you use composite panel for exterior it will also aid insulation, roof vents I stay away from as they leak and also in Qld they let a shit load of heat in. If you do put one in, don't put it over bed area. FNQ we like to detect early, nap during heat of day and go again as it cools off. Use outback springs and elec brakes as you will reach 750kg real quick once loaded. Don't permanent fix any gas appliance as you then need gas certificate = pain in the ass. Get onto it quick as all regs are about to change in near future and home built trailers are going to become a whole lot more difficult to register. Door / entry has to be kerb side by law. Careful what you wire 240V as again electrician laws apply. Simply have a 50 amp anderson plug and if need recharge of batt just fire Genny and run a batt charger. I'd give the jerries a miss and fit an 80 litre under tank with 12 volt pump as Jerries become a pain in the ass as well as the back loading and unloading etc. Plus same pump can then also be plumbed for shower outlet, plus you can have a switch set up so it can also draw from a jerry or even a creek if you want? Win win. Example is long stay we use tank for drinking and cooking and use bore water for showers etc
What sort of camping are you doing ? Remote ? Long stays ?
Plumbing set up shows inlet we could plug hose onto drawing from outside source
Tambo Plumbing 2.jpg

Last edited:
For screening a wall as in shade no need to go expensive, just have some attaching points at top of van and hang a bunnings tarp on angle to ground, Keeps sun of wall, you can also use to store gear under when camped up and under $20
Awning go canvas type not poly as canvas does not radiate heat other types do.
Go to wreckers and source s/hand accessory sockets and make up power bank for detector batts etc. Accessory not lighter as they are different. It's all about getting good gear that works without spending big.
Tambo Plug In Socket Bank.JPG

Last edited:
As said bang for buck is the key, be inventive as an example, air con in tent for total $250 cheap when rooftop units are 2K plus with no better result.
Van shower base $65 so we could shower inside. Just giving ideas but all without spending big dollars. Diamond mesh for bed base, old security doors Gumtree 15 - 20 bucks light and cheap. Enjoy ya build

Air Con 1.jpg

Air con 2.jpg

20200908_134750.jpg

Diamond Mesh.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts