Great find archives!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor guy will probably lose his entire haul to the government I think ... hope he kept a piece or two for his collection ;)

Wow great find!! I think I'd be dripping in medieval bling before handing over my stash!!

My hometown has a medieval village which has been preserved and I walked my dog in the surrounding fields for 10 years before I got into detecting, I'll be going straight back there next time I visit, but whatever I find will be our little secret ;-)

marshyboy said:
Wow great find!! I think I'd be dripping in medieval bling before handing over my stash!!

My hometown has a medieval village which has been preserved and I walked my dog in the surrounding fields for 10 years before I got into detecting, I'll be going straight back there next time I visit, but whatever I find will be our little secret ;-)

Do you require an assistant marshy? Will dig for free!! :D
Joke's aside, all the best when you finally get back "home" and take the "dog" for a walk! :cool:

yea, could be a real treasure trove. for some reason tho,in the back of my mind i keep thinking that i must be the only one with a metal detector to ever visit these sites!! is that just me??

Paulmarr, I would much prefer the English, UK laws than the Australian laws if we find anything here we either keep it secret or lose it Government under heritage laws & can face fine just for removing it from ground where found.
If found in UK yes they lose it to the crown but the finder & land owner both get a considerable compensation for the find.
Much the same laws under shipwreck acts/laws also.
I heard a story many years ago of someone who found a shipwreck, it is believed he removed a cannon. They put him through the courts trying to get cannon back. He had a police reports of his garage being broken into & they couldn't prove that he ever had the cannon. They (the government) knew a cannon was removed recently once the wreck was identified. The case was eventually dropped.
The sad part was this diver used to do lots of work for the government in identifying new fish, plants, wrecks, search & rescues & many other issues. I don't know he did anything after this event. Not long after I heard about it I lost contact with my connection to these people. That was at least 25 years ago.

In 2 years it will be illegal to dig post decimal coins go figure but i can to some extent understand why i just feel it should be a partnership to help both the history and the person who goes looking
Maybe some time in the future this will happen im just happy searching the beaches for pocket money

the duck said:
In 2 years it will be illegal to dig post decimal coins go figure but i can to some extent understand why i just feel it should be a partnership to help both the history and the person who goes looking
Maybe some time in the future this will happen im just happy searching the beaches for pocket money

Illegal is a sick bird ;) it is also only illegal if you get caught :eek: forget the drug dealers, terrorists, let's get them there pesky tectorists. :mad:
I call b $$%^^& t. :(

the duck said:
Ah yes my bad Victorian relic laws..... But them all predecs came out of the ground before 90s and only interstate since.

Latest posts