BADGERCREEK/ALBUNDY FINDS

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, been a couple of years since posting here, hope everyone is doing well. Will be slowly sharing finds and hunts from the last few years plus sharing new any new hunts that I do. Enjoy.

BADGERCREEK is the original account I started here but because of the name(location of where I was living at the time) I changed it to ALBUNDY which a few of you would know me as but unfortunately I was not able to access my ALBUNDY account so Im stuck with BADGERCREEK.

I'm also on Metal detecting Australia(facebook) under my name ALLAN HUMPHREYS. I've taking a rest from Facebook so I thought I'd come back here, everyone is always so nice here and helped me a lot a few years ago when I was doing it tough. Thanks again to all. You know who you are. Enjoy.

Went out yesterday to a new spot and came and came across this nice Angus & co inkwel. To my surprise when cleaning it still had the cork in it. Also found 2 penny's and what seems to be a coffee & chicory essence bottle.
1646086521_screenshot_20220301-091321_gallery.jpg

1646087383_screenshot_20220301-091808_gallery.jpg
Here's some finds from a 1800s site I was lucky enough to get permission for last year only 5 minutes from home. Was originally 2 houses that were built in the 1870's and later relocated in the 1930s. Now the area is just a paddock with a some nice old trees. This place just kept on giving.
1646087282_screenshot_20220301-091915_gallery.jpg
1646087327_screenshot_20220301-091900_gallery.jpg

1646087327_screenshot_20220301-091836_gallery.jpg

1646087327_screenshot_20220301-091824_gallery.jpg

What a great few hours this was. Got permission to do a paddock that was once an oval, I also read that in the late 1800s the local schools would have sports days there, unfortunately didn't really dig anything from that era.
The ground or nearby electric fences made this site a little tricky, for some reason my Nox wouldn't penetrate any further than 2-4 inches deep. All these coins were found in 3-4 hours and then nothing. I came back for a few other hunts and picked up a few random coins but nothing like the 1st day. I tried changing settings and even got the trusty deus out but still was having the same depth issues. The place still confuses me everytime I drive past it.
1646093460_screenshot_20220301-110012_gallery.jpg

BADGERCREEK said:
What a great few hours this was. Got permission to do a paddock that was once an oval, I also read that in the late 1800s the local schools would have sports days there, unfortunately didn't really dig anything from that era.
The ground or nearby electric fences made this site a little tricky, for some reason my Nox wouldn't penetrate any further than 2-4 inches deep. All these coins were found in 3-4 hours and then nothing. I came back for a few other hunts and picked up a few random coins but nothing like the 1st day. I tried changing settings and even got the trusty deus out but still was having the same depth issues. The place still confuses me everytime I drive past it.

Love the dates on the silvers, well done.
What type of soil are you trying to deal with and what Equinox mode/s are you searching with?
I assume you have the latest update for you nox.

bicter said:
BADGERCREEK said:

What type of soil are you trying to deal with and what Equinox mode/s are you searching with?

The soil around here is slightly mineralised but I detect in places very close to this spot and never really have a problem, honestly I'm not sure if mine has the latest update? Not quite sure how to tell? I use park 1 and I adjust my settings for each site.

BADGERCREEK said:
silver said:

Hi silver. I'm going to have fun trying to find that little bugger again to check it out :argh: got 1000s of silvers to look through.

I was keeping mine by hunt, then combining after the years end... then I combined the years, now it all just goes into that years bag until the end of year photo(then in with the rest). The bags were getting way smaller by the year over time anyway..... so I'd be in the same boat as you now lol :p

silver said:
BADGERCREEK said:
silver said:

Hi silver. I'm going to have fun trying to find that little bugger again to check it out :argh: got 1000s of silvers to look through.

I was keeping mine by hunt, then combining after the years end... then I combined the years, now it all just goes into that years bag until the end of year photo(then in with the rest). The bags were getting way smaller by the year over time anyway..... so I'd be in the same boat as you now lol :p

It's amazing how quick the collection gets so big, I've been detecting since 2017 and I've got boxes full of stuff, I'm in the middle of cleaning finds and setting up my display again. Big bloody job.

BADGERCREEK said:
bicter said:
BADGERCREEK said:

The soil around here is slightly mineralised but I detect in places very close to this spot and never really have a problem, honestly I'm not sure if mine has the latest update? Not quite sure how to tell? I use park 1 and I adjust my settings for each site.
If you still have access to the site, I'd suggest trying both field1 and gold mode and see if theres any measureable improvement.

bicter said:
BADGERCREEK said:
bicter said:
BADGERCREEK said:

If you still have access to the site, I'd suggest trying both field1 and gold mode and see if theres any measureable improvement.

Hi mate, yep tried both those settings an not really much difference, from memory I was getting a little bit more depth in park 1 with sensitivy down to 15 and not using multi frequency. Very weired site. Even tried leaving my phone at home :lol: .

BADGERCREEK said:
The soil around here is slightly mineralised but I detect in places very close to this spot and never really have a problem, honestly I'm not sure if mine has the latest update? Not quite sure how to tell? I use park 1 and I adjust my settings for each site

Hi mate, yep tried both those settings an not really much difference, from memory I was getting a little bit more depth in park 1 with sensitivy down to 15 and not using multi frequency. Very weird site. Even tried leaving my phone at home :lol: .

Just thinking about your ground depth problem.

Ground balance?

If there's a lot of charcoal (or coke as the Poms like to call it) mixed in the ground then this link may be of some help https://www.seriousdetecting.com/equinox-field-modes/

A small caveat, I haven't had the need to try out the recommendations on that page.

Couple of years ago I found this Beauty. Was probably the most excited I've been while detecting.
A cricket buckle was No1 on my bucket list and after 3 years of solid detecting I was still yet to find one.
We were spot searching and came across a road called school road but no sign of a school until I noticed a little plaque in front of an unfenced piece of land, in we went. Like a lot of school sites around here there was barely any high signals left
1646212845_screenshot_20220302-200537_gallery.jpg
so decided to put her on all metal mode and hope for the best, within a few minutes Booom this ripper came out and I was dancing and punching the air!!! came up as a solid 10 on the nox. Stayed for another hour or 2 and got another piece of a cricket buckle and a few other goodies. Was a great day and one I will never forget. Have been back to the site on multiple occasions but not much left unfortunately.

Here is a recent hunt I did at our local Army camp.
Been to this site quite a few times and always seem to find some keepers in amongst all the 303 shells and grenade pieces. It's a massive area and I'm sure the treasures will keep popping out into the future.
1646272927_screenshot_20220303-124843_gallery.jpg

Latest posts