Gold Prospecting, Detecting, General information/interest books

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I'll be in Australia starting Jan 28th for a year on a working holiday visa. I'm trying to load up on some literature to keep in the van my girlfriend and I will be traveling in once we get some work done. I'm interested in pretty much everything that is talked about on this forum. Prospecting, metal detecting, rock hounding, wildlife, etc.

I'd like to build up a small but handy library for us to ID coins/rocks/animals. Bush safety would be really handy, I'm experienced in the outdoors but this is new ground wanna learn up while I can. Some history would be really nice too. Obviously I can't have more than maybe a dozen books in the van so the more useful the better!

You guys seem like the right guys to ask, so I'm hoping I can get to reading soon.

Dangerous Australians book.. Not to sure of Author but explains every Dangerous Animal that We have here and how to treat injuries if you run into any... :eek: :koala:

Don't worry about the prices as you will do better buying elsewhere, but a book like these will help...
https://www.fishpond.com.au/c/Books/q/Dangerous+Australians+Books

LW....

With the amount of unfortunate people we've been told about from our WA friends recently, I think it's essential reading for travellers - international and otherwise...

MegsyB007 said:
With the amount of unfortunate people we've been told about from our WA friends recently, I think it's essential reading for travellers - international and otherwise...
il second that advice :100: percent .

Thank you guys so much! This is so helpful, I really appreciate it. One of the reasons I asked for reccomendations is I saw the post about a few people missing recently or found dead. That is a damn shame, I hope others learn from their mistakes and avoid similar misfortune. We're planning on taking a satelite radio and buying atleast one PLB probably two. The dangerous animals thing is gonna be important for sure, thats something I always like to know because I'm fascinated by wildlife in general and sometimes get closer than I need to for a better look, I like to be sure without any doubt at all that an animal isn't gonna kill me or I steer clear. Also metal detecting and prospecting obviously brings you closer to those animals without intending to anyway.

Really interested in the bird one too! My brother is gonna be jealous as hell, he researches birds for a living. Some videos and pictures I've seen blow me away with how many interesting and vibrant birds!

Hi Hookka,
Yes, my American cousins came over for a few weeks back in May, and were fascinated by the birds here - the sounds they make were very foreign to them - and kept asking, 'What's that?!' We'd smile and say, 'A (whatever) bird'. They loved them. They're so colourful here and they went home with a lot of pictures of birds! And one holding a koala, that she learnt was rather smelly, and spent the rest of the day with her windcheater tied around her waist!

And yes, there are several animals/reptiles you need to be very aware of here. Don't go swimming in the rivers or beaches up north - crocodiles. Sharks are everywhere around the coast. And we have 18 of the top 20 most venomous snakes in the world here. Definitely check out the snake bite threads on this forum and learn what to do if you get bitten - we don't mess around with that kind of situation here - it is deadly serious that you do the right thing to lift your chances of survival.

But don't stress too much about snakes - I've lived here for over 50 years and spent a lot of time in the bush and haven't been bitten once! Just be aware of them and be 'snake smart' in areas where they are likely to be.

Where are you from mate?

Thanks for the advice, I'm from California origionally but have lived in Dubai, UAE for 22 years. Bit of a mutt. I'm alright with snakes, I'm used to avoiding rattlesnakes in California when in their area. Not too much for snakes here, theres 4 species of viper but they are very small in numbers. I've only seen a handful in the mountains/desert. I'm sure I'll be just the same with the birds haha. I'm a spearo, but we definitely don't have the same number of sharks you have to worry about. Plenty of blacktips which are more puppies than sharks for the most part, and every so often bullsharks off the east coast but I don't deal with them too often.

I'd like to have the book for snakes and reptiles, the only thing worse than getting bit by a snake that can kill you, is getting bit and you don't know what snake it was.

Hooka,
Don't fall for the paranoia surrounding Australian snakes, yes they are deadly but rarely seen, when seen they are usually hightailing it in opposite direction.
Also the anti venom now available doesn't require identification of the snake.
Here is some very handy information for you to print put out by WA Police back in 2007, little out of date but still useful;

https://vks737.radio/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/survival.pdf

Haha one of my friends sent me that same video. I don't know why the term "salties" cracks me up so much hahaha.

I'm not going to test my luck guys, some of the stories I read seemed like they sadly could have been avoided with some common sense, or a little bit of knowledge. Thanks for the wonderful list, going to start loading my amazon cart up.

Good to know about the antivenom situation, still would like to know what snake bit me if that were to ever happen though ?

Not mining related but the most entertaining, humorous and interesting history of Australia has to be Bill Bryson's book, "Down Under."
So many odd and interesting details that you will not find elsewhere. I love his humour. A must read in my opinion.

Latest posts