Gold Prospecting, Detecting, General information/interest books

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lets start a list of Gold Prospecting books that might be of use for members. Please feel free to add to the list, as it grows I will update this first post to try and keep them altogether.

Here are a couple that I have;

1. You Can Find GOLD With a Metal Detector - Charles Garrett & Roy Lagal
2. The New GOLD PANNING Is Easy - Roy Lagal

This could be a very large list. But here's one of the best beginner's books from my pick.
Metal detecting in Australia by Col Webster it's a simple book with some great tips on Gold, Coins, treasure hunting.

metal detecting for gold in Australia by doug stone has a lot of information and maps not a bad buy for the price. Would like to see more books about gemstones and fossicking though not a lot out there relevant to australia.

This is a great read and one i came across sometime ago when i was in
my younger years and all that glilted was gold.
Love the reverance to the speed pan! Maybe this is where is was concived
from the early discribtion in said book. Until you see one in action you won't
believe it works!
I will very much enjoy re-reading this book again,thanks Nuggets.

Recommended Gold related books
Our forum member Syndyne posted an excellent post today on Rock and Mineral books. To compliment this post, I thought I would share some free book links and other recommended books that you may find or get from your library. A lot of these relate to the Victorian Goldfields but the geology formations etc are pretty well standard across Australia.
Number 1. The Gold Fields and Mineral Districts of Victoria: With Notes etc etc. By Robert Brough Smyth
For Victorians, most older prospectors will tell you there is the bible of gold and that is my number one recommended book and its free to download! This is the google free link. Its easy to use at the top right you will see an icon like a wagon wheel click on it and follow the prompts. It is a large book so unless you want to get it printed, the pdf version is ok but not searchable.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...lds and Mineral Districts of Victoria&f=false
For those with an e-reader (kindle etc) this site https://archive.org/details/goldfieldsandmi00smytgoog allows you to download onto your portable reader. I have a hard copy of the book but take my kindle with me prospecting it can be searched use the dictionary etc.
Number 2. Prospecting for Gold, Other Minerals and Precious Stones. Ion Idriess.
Libraries have copies and cheap paperback reprints are about. This book was written for new chums in 1931 so they could basically get a job and money during the depression. Some of the advice is for the times but the info remains excellent. Shop around for this one as a reasonable paperback reprint should not cost anymore than $20.
Number 3. The Gold Rushes of the Fifties. William Adock
First published in 1912 and reprinted many times since. Once again shop around for a paperback version. For those who are aware of James Flett (see below), he is used in some reprints to provide corrections and explanations.
Number 4. The Victorian Prospectors Guide and handbook.
First published in 1894 and still in print. Google it and several book sellers have the 12th edition for about $20. A great little book. I have several of the older editions and they came with fold out maps the newer version does not. For the true believers, there is a chapter on indicators.

Number 5. Australia and its Goldfields by Edward Hargraves (yes, THE Hargraves) 1855.
Free to download at: http://books.google.com.au/books?id...CkgXO9oA4&ved=0CE8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
Number 6. A Visit to Australia and its Gold Regions 1853.
Free to download at:
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...CkgXO9oA4&ved=0CGAQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false
Number 7. The discovery and geognosy of gold deposits in Australia. By Simpson Davison 1861.

Free to download at: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=KzcDAAAAQAAJ&dq=free+gold+books+australia&source=gbs_navlinks_s

Number 8/9 and 10. Any books by James Flett.
Especially: Maryborough (Vic) Goldfields. Dunolly. Victorian Goldfields. These can be harder to get but I believe the Victorian Government bookshop has copies of Dunolly for a very reasonable price.
I am aware that some of these free downloads are being flogged off on CD roms on-line. If you take your time and use the National Library Of Australia Trove, the State Library of your own state and free google books and other free book sites, you will get a lot of electronic books. Of course, some are still in copyright and you may have to buy some of them, eg Flett.
Enjoy and happy hunting.

Got two old beaut dredging books today.

Dredging for gold - J H McGeorge 1964 (this one deals with dredging at Westland NZ between 1921 - 1953. Very interesting read and I guess the same operating procedures applied to Australia dredging. Puts the dredging sites I see at Tarnagulla on Sandy Creek into perspective.

Dredging for gold in Australia - George Peel 1983.
This covers:
The portable surface dredge
Working the surface dredge
Submersible and subsurface dredge
Bank dredge or hydraulic concentrator
Motorised gold pans
Electrostatic -Dry concentrator
Locating and working a likely spot

Peel's book was from a far more forgiving era - they would string you up now for what he recommends in some of the chapters. Either way, I recommend Peel's book.

Nice find! I always keep my eyes peeled for any old geology/mineral books. I have currently have a bit on ebay for a whole haul of decent books.

Eureka: The Unfinished Revolution - by Peter FitzSimons

I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in gold history in Australia. he also wrote Tobruk and Kokoda, both equally as good.
It covers the NSW goings-on as well. Same licencing issues were being faced by the NSW crew as well.
For the Ballarat crew, some excellent history of your fine city including some places and events I was unaware of. Also discusses technique and technology, false bottoms, drives, wet working and the like.
One bit made me laugh - the diggers had to carry their licences at all times. they were paper and even if working in water had to be carried - no exceptions. funny thing is, we Victorians STILL have to carry the original at all times. Luckily we have plastic but even a certified true copy does not apply I have been told. 'Down with the traps - viva la republic!!" "Down with the bunyip aristocracy"
He makes a good point why the Southern Cross Flag can't be our national flag - been hijacked by the right wing nationalists and the unions - pity, it's my favourite Australian flag.

Good hunting folks.

'Live Long and Prospect"

Hi loaner,
Not gold related but I'm currently reading "Mawson" by FitzSimons, great Antarctic tale.
Also recommend "Batavia", story of the Dutch shipwreck and slaughter in WA way before Cook's time.
Cheers Tom

Hi Everyone,
I noticed that a book seller at the Mill market in Daylesford has The Goldfields and Mineral Districts of Victoria, by Robert Brough Smyth for sale at $185.00 this is a very good price for this book.
cheers Wayne

deepblue said:
Hi Everyone,
I noticed that a book seller at the Mill market in Daylesford has The Goldfields and Mineral Districts of Victoria, by Robert Brough Smyth for sale at $185.00 this is a very good price for this book.
cheers Wayne

If you want you can download it for free.

Sounds like a good read Loamer. Something off topic, but slightly on topic about Eureka. A few weeks ago i found a British 50th Regiment brass coat button.

loamer said:
Eureka: The Unfinished Revolution - by Peter FitzSimons

I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in gold history in Australia. he also wrote Tobruk and Kokoda, both equally as good.
It covers the NSW goings-on as well. Same licencing issues were being faced by the NSW crew as well.
For the Ballarat crew, some excellent history of your fine city including some places and events I was unaware of. Also discusses technique and technology, false bottoms, drives, wet working and the like.
One bit made me laugh - the diggers had to carry their licences at all times. they were paper and even if working in water had to be carried - no exceptions. funny thing is, we Victorians STILL have to carry the original at all times. Luckily we have plastic but even a certified true copy does not apply I have been told. 'Down with the traps - viva la republic!!" "Down with the bunyip aristocracy"
He makes a good point why the Southern Cross Flag can't be our national flag - been hijacked by the right wing nationalists and the unions - pity, it's my favourite Australian flag.

Good hunting folks.

'Live Long and Prospect"

Ditto Loamer, I'll be working again in Ballarat next week and when entering the city i always look for the flag on Bakery Hill for it is a most beautiful sight, i especially like its graceful display on a light breeze....

casper

I would like to give something back to the members of the forum because I have got lots of excellent information from all of you.

https://www.nla.gov.au/search?keys=gold
I hope you find something of interest in amongst this (for the record, I just googled "free ebooks australia gold field." Works a charm what ever it is you seek. eg free ebook fishing, free ebook rock formations, and one for some of you who have posted on "today I COOKED" free ebook cooking :)

Latest posts