Gold Prospecting, Detecting, General information/interest books

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hookka said:
Haha one of my friends sent me that same video. I don't know why the term "salties" cracks me up so much hahaha.

If you still don't know the term "salties", it refers to the crocodiles that mainly frequent the salty ocean and water ways. We also have a smaller less aggressive "freshwater" croc, Johnstone's crocodile or colloquially as "freshie" who can give you a nasty bite but to my knowledge has never killed anyone.

Hey Hookka, RK posted this a little while back. Funny, but worth thinking about:
1544661331_capture_1.jpg

Ramjet said:
Not mining related but the most entertaining, humorous and interesting history of Australia has to be Bill Bryson's book, "Down Under."
So many odd and interesting details that you will not find elsewhere. I love his humour. A must read in my opinion.

Hilarious read.
So many anecdotes in that book relates to how the fist time visitor to Australia sees their visit.

What books or other material do people recommend someone read to learn about how metal detecting for gold differs from other prospecting approaches? e.g. they might cover topics such as the importance of deposit granularity/depth for detecting, and how detectors work.

Some that I found by searching the forum (but only crudely by matching "detecting" in titles of recommendations, and I havent read them so cant recommend them):

from the Alluvial Gold Prospecting: Gold Prospecting Books for Beginners thread:
You Can Find GOLD With a Metal Detector - Charles Garrett & Roy Lagal
Metal detecting in Australia by Col Webster
Metal Detecting for Gold in Australia by Doug Stone

from the Gold Maps & Resources: Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector thread:
(online) Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector by Dave Johnson

Im after information specifically about detecting, not issues that apply to broader prospecting (e.g. locations, geology, etc) though am interested if broader resources have a good section about how detecting differs.

Thanks

If you can find any old metal detecting magazine from the 80's and 90's on ebay they usuall are full of interesting info and articles :perfect:

Thanks for the tip Moneybox. While I shouldnt judge a book from its cover, the titles suggest that these are specific to WA & Queensland. Do they also do a good job of describing detector issues, rather than locations? Is any one of the 4 books better than the others at describing detector issues? Thanks.

Moneybox said:
Gold and Ghosts, a set of 4 books covering Australia but because of the price you must first find the gold then get the books to find out how to do it O:)

Thanks Aussiedigs, but those links seem to all be about locations rather than being specific to detecting.

Yes mbasko, it was reading Loamers contributions and those of a guy called "Lanny in AB" on another forum that finally set the hook for me and got me into detecting.

On the subject of Loamer, although I've never met the man I miss him badly.
I must have read just about every one of his threads in the last year, but I don't see him on here anymore. Is he still around?

Don't really know what happened to Loamer but his input here was great!
His last handful of posts here were as per normal - no signs of any problem/s but he stopped posting fairly abruptly. Pretty sure it came up on a thread awhile ago & nobody knew why he stopped posting + don't think anyone knew him off the forum.
Hopefully he is well & finding heaps.

Blood gold revenge by Dave Wright and watch the gold hounds YouTube channel to see the no frills classic viewing reality of getting your coil on the ground!

mbasko said:
Don't really know what happened to Loamer but his input here was great!
His last handful of posts here were as per normal - no signs of any problem/s but he stopped posting fairly abruptly. Pretty sure it came up on a thread awhile ago & nobody knew why he stopped posting + don't think anyone knew him off the forum.
Hopefully he is well & finding heaps.

As to the best of my recollections go, years ago when I was new to this forum Loamer used to be a very active poster. He was great with his information and advice and a backbone of the site. He was a bit of a lad with his posts and used to talk frequently of his passion for Collingwood and his disdain for Carlton or as he put it, the filth. His posts were always a bit funny a bit larrikan and always informative ( like Madtuna ). A couple of posters started giving him unwarranted and rude crap, one's name started gold something or something gold cant remember which, they continued, nobody supported Loamer or told them to back off including me as I was just a lurker then and I guess he thought it was casting pearls to swine as they say, and he stopped posting for quite awhile then was never very into it after that. A very very big loss because of some big mouths with nothing much to offer.

Goldtalk Leonora said:
Just read the instruction manual that comes with the machine!!

So, so true. I've read mine literally a dozen times or more. Every now and then I'll read it again and something makes sense now 12 months into it. Sure, I've read it before but obviously didn't understand it at the time until something happened out in the field which then made it relevant. A similar case in point was last weekend detecting near a reef in Goldsborough. All of a sudden I thought I was in bad mineralisation and couldn't settle the detector down. But I'd read an old post recently where Nenad had mentioned leaving the GPX 5000 rear display on manual tune in a bad EMI area, so as a tweak of the knob would settle it down. I turned it just two digits and the 5000 purred like a kitten once again :D

Same thing with the manual. Every now and then I get it out and have a read, get to a certain point and :idea:

That is a wicked book. I read it cover to cover so many times!
In the end I gave it to my UK living Father-in-law, who didn't understand my love for the Palmer River region... after reading the book, he understands!

Latest posts