Future of Coin Shooting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first obvious point to make is that people don't carry coins the way they used to, for me unless I need some cash for something to do with the kids then it's all plastic these days and I guess most are in the same boat.
Detectors are getting funkier and more efficient and going the way of the Gold machines... slowly eating up what's available.
Most of the spendables I'm finding look like they've been in the ground a while, tarnished and dirty. I went to a new spot today which is quite busy at times and certainly somewhere you'd expect to find some coins, but zilch, not a single cent. Then I thought about it.. it only needs one detectorist with a decent machine in the past 5 years to have started off keen, emptied the place of lost coins and then got bored and went somewhere else or gave up. Lack of coin carrying these days keeps the place clean :(
I think there is still fun ahead for us reading this, but the hobbies days are numbered, will be interesting to see what pans out in the future.
C

I know what you mean. Recently I've gotten super excited when I've seen events packing parks and ovals full of public, stalls..families.. balloons..money boxes on stalls.. and yep.. end of the day when I go scan the whole place.. nothing. Zip.

Now learning its better to wait months and then check again but sometimes this leaves an opening for another detectorist in between to sweep out new drops.

If I do, on a good day at a clean park, ill get $10 coins and a heap of alloy and bread ties from the bakery. Sometimes a bit of jewellery shows but its usually cheap.

New parks havnt been the go for me, or new schools. Always better to check how long a 'park' or place of entertainment has been there by either reading history, or looking around the area.

I tend to find pennies around older ovals which were used for mixed racing and animal events through the years but now a simple 20m x 20m swings n slide park.

Modern currency I have to be more creative if I want more and target obvious locations for families to sit like sandpits, green grassed hills with a tree for shade to setup a picnic..etc.

Best days I have are when teens have had a party at the parks, leaving cans and all sorts of junk around. On thier drunken mayhem they love to act stupid and fall off swings lots. So keep your eyes peeled for recent can dumps.

Follow and read the breadcrumbs you find. Theres always a direction they lead you

Nope, no goldies in Newcastle turf....give it away guys, and stick to the beach :)

What we are doing, that may wreck it for future generations, is removing the BBs, and bottlecaps. Reckon we should give them something to find, and we dont need them.

New detectors will just suck small change straight from someones card into your bank account(electronic money transfer),.. could be used to great advantage in busy malls and at sporting events near the cafes and toilets where traffic of people is greatest,.. people will fight over prime detecting positions(like the entry gates to huge events), so you may still need to carry a digger(or large pick) and be prepared to mouth off at the opposition(to cause maximum embarresment or intimidation) at the earliest opportunity. Most people will just think you are security,.. so when you pat them down(and the cash transfers) they will (like the good sheep they are) just think it's normal activity, and continue about their day unawares and oblivious as to the detecting going on all around them,... most detecting days should net at least $3,000-$4000, with exceptional days bringing in over 10Gs,... and the good thing is, these machines should actually get cheaper and cheaper to buy as time rolls on.
Ahh the future of detecting,... it's still looking pretty good to me(ha)
Hi Ho Silver,....awaay! :lol:

A lot of places still don't accept credit cards such as oval canteens, circuses, school canteens, markets etc. People will need coins for quite a while to come.

Some places I detect regularly replenish with coins.

Think big Karl, we need a $10 coin to be introduced. :)

Heatho said:
A lot of places still don't accept credit cards such as oval canteens, circuses, school canteens, markets etc. People will need coins for quite a while to come.

Some places I detect regularly replenish with coins.

Think big Karl, we need a $10 coin to be introduced. :)
Could always stamp our own PA gold moneys ;)

Cash helps to avoid tax, cashless will net the govt millions I spose...but how will we be buy, and sell privately?

rocketaroo said:
Cash helps to avoid tax, cashless will net the govt millions I spose...but how will we be buy, and sell privately?

I'd accept gold or silver bullion.

Cash will be around for a long time yet. The gubbermint would like to have a cashless society but it's just not practical. Even if it happens one day there will always be bartering.

How will we put money in christmas and birthday cards,... or sit a little aside for that rainy day ? :eek:
It will not happen unless we all let it happen. ;)

Like silver said, maybe a detector that can scan the "Paywave" credit cards and suck the bank balance out of it?? I think carrying a detector around the mall would be a bit of a giveaway though!!

The killer is that at many markets etc...and fairs and Circuses etc...

One small stall sells the tickets. Beer / food and other stuff is all via tickets. Thus lack of coin to spill, to start with.

Tap and pay etc = No coin or change...

Latest posts