Diesel Heater Install

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
In my opinion -

Like most things, you get what you pay for. I would suggest they will both work, the question may be more, how long for? how reliable and how efficiently.

In a camper I would suggest definitely get a muffler, in my last van, I could not hear the exhaust. The thing is that on start up, the air fan comes on at high speed and sounds like a jet turbine. Once they get toward the set temp, they slow down and just tick over. Much quieter than an electric fan heater.

So, stop start is not the way to go in my opinion. I ran mine at about 22 deg whilst sitting up before bed, then turned it down to 15 overnight. In 12 hours it used 1.5 litres of diesel and about 12 amps of battery. Leaving it on overnight does several things.

• No stop start turbine noise.[/*]
  • Comfortable temperature for sleep.[/*]
  • The van/camper is warm to get out of bed and dressed.[/*]
  • N.B. No condensation.[/*]

Each time you start it, the glow plug needs to fire up, it draws 10amps when on. It's on for a few minutes until the combustion chamber is hot enough for self ignition.

The other benefit of the Dometic/Erberspacher is that it comes with a digital temperature control, that shows the temp at the control (ambient) and the desired temp.
The Planar comes with a rotary switch which does not give temperature.

Everyone's use is different, each type of install is also probably going to vary. I do know that MYSPOT (username) has a Planar installed in his camper, the vent is in the top, outside corner of his bed, I think he modded the mattress to fit it. PM him, he may send you some pics.

Thanks for that Condor. Sorry that I haven't responded earlier, but I am travelling in Queensland and access has been sporadic. As I think that I mentioned earlier, I ended up having the Rapar installed by professionals close to my home, as I just didn't have the time to do it before my departure date.

I am very happy so far that I had the heater installed, because I have had several below zero nights including several of them in central Q of below minus 2 deg. But as I mentioned earlier, I found that my plans to use it only as needed, seems to work out best for me, an hour or 2 before bed time and an hour in the morning, only when the temperature demands it. I much prefer having it cool to cold inside the van for sleeping, rather than warm to hot and even measured down to 2-3 deg inside the van early in the morning on several occasions and that was fine when snuggled under the bed clothes. I can just lean over and switch it on a few minutes before arising and that works fine for me. This method is better than my other normal methods in a sleeping bag, when in a tent or swag, so I am not getting too soft I hope.

I am happy to refer others to who did the install for me if they are interested.

Rob.

Glad you enjoyed and back safe.

The reason I have it warm at night is 2 fold, first it stops the condensation and dampness caused by breathing (and the occasional heavy breathing lol) and second, the last time I went out in minus temps without a heater, cost me a week on antibiotic drip in a hospital with pneumonia and nearly stopped my prospecting permanently.

Judging by my recent use and normal (if any) TV viewing, I think my total battery load between daily charges will be about 30AH max, which is the magic 25%. But more likely 25AH. I've also bought a heavy duty bag to fit in my roof rack insert and tested it a couple of days ago ready for my next trip to the GT.

I can fit my 120W suitcase type solar panel in it plus 3 x 20 lt, 1 x 10 lt and 1 x 5 lt jerry/water containers (empty). So I'll leave the panel up each day I'm bush camping.
I know where I can get water, so I'll go get it in the gerries to top the van tank up as needed.

Of the 4 week trip I'm only on van park for the last 5 nights. It'll be interesting to see what the BM Pro tells me it puts in each day. I'll run a spreadsheet of temp and weather conditions as well as input/output. I figure what the panel puts in is less for the genny to do and it'll do it while I'm out digging and hopefully save a bit of fuel.

Not back home yet Condor, up in gold country around Georgetown Qld, for several more weeks (haven't swung the detector yet), then off to Cape York and not back home until mid-Oct.

Up here I need a diesel powered air-con instead of heater, as it is mid 30's every day and lucky to get below 20 at night.

I am sure I will need the heater before I get home, even if it is on the trip south.

Rob.

lol Rob, The only advice I have re the heat is, bugger off ya b****d........

Seriously, there are many down here, including me, that have had enough of the cold....but we'll soon wish for it come summer. No keeping some people happy lol.

I'm heading to the GT in 3 weeks and have a feeling the heater will come in handy....

Mike

Latest posts