Diesel Heater Install

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all happening, I ordered the Dometic this morning and have sold the Planar this afternoon.

So this thread on hold till at least this time next week......

Condor, is the Dometic that much better than the Planar and if so in what way, as the specs look similar?

Also is the muffler needed and if so where did you get yours? I had not planned on running the unit except during the evening and early on mornings as I like it cold when in bed. May make a bit of noise then, but I didn't think it would be too bad. What do you think?

I was thinking of getting someone to install one in my camper, as it is a tight install and I am tight on time availability as well. So I would like to make sure it is a good install.

Rob.

In my opinion -

Like most things, you get what you pay for. I would suggest they will both work, the question may be more, how long for? how reliable and how efficiently.

In a camper I would suggest definitely get a muffler, in my last van, I could not hear the exhaust. The thing is that on start up, the air fan comes on at high speed and sounds like a jet turbine. Once they get toward the set temp, they slow down and just tick over. Much quieter than an electric fan heater.

So, stop start is not the way to go in my opinion. I ran mine at about 22 deg whilst sitting up before bed, then turned it down to 15 overnight. In 12 hours it used 1.5 litres of diesel and about 12 amps of battery. Leaving it on overnight does several things.

• No stop start turbine noise.[/*]
  • Comfortable temperature for sleep.[/*]
  • The van/camper is warm to get out of bed and dressed.[/*]
  • N.B. No condensation.[/*]

Each time you start it, the glow plug needs to fire up, it draws 10amps when on. It's on for a few minutes until the combustion chamber is hot enough for self ignition.

The other benefit of the Dometic/Erberspacher is that it comes with a digital temperature control, that shows the temp at the control (ambient) and the desired temp.
The Planar comes with a rotary switch which does not give temperature.

Everyone's use is different, each type of install is also probably going to vary. I do know that MYSPOT (username) has a Planar installed in his camper, the vent is in the top, outside corner of his bed, I think he modded the mattress to fit it. PM him, he may send you some pics.

The first part of the install is the diesel tank.

1432901432_20150529_140538.jpg

1432901432_20150529_140550.jpg

1432901432_20150529_140838.jpg

1432901432_20150529_150038.jpg

I used 20x30x3 alum angle and tread plate to make the frame.

Next will be the 150mm dia hole in the van floor to mount the heater and the 2 x 60mm dia holes in the bed sides for recirculate air in and warm air out vents.

Hehe......I would love to deck out my old tin can with one of those, but sadly its not cost effective for the old girl.

In the mean time the Mr Heat buddy will have to suffice when i head in from the camp fire!

15rkr49.jpg

Meta, I am sure that you are aware of the carbon monoxide issues associated with these and similar ones (which I have). They require a very large area of air access for operation that almost means that there is more cold air coming in, than heat out from the unit. To provide a bit of extra protection I got one of those carbon monoxide detector devices like the one in the attached from DS.

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/ereader...hwE6znmt5t7Gov0uQhNX418KJU0sfmk_bEaAgGo8P8HAQ

But I am planning a diesel heater install, and am closely monitoring the progress of the Condo install.

Rob.

Will see what I can do this week, but am going away Fri-Mon incl with my 4x4 club bush bash. Can't get the van close so will be swagging it this trip.

So, warmth will come from a -10 rated sleeping bag and thermal underwear overnight and a camp fire for the odd lemonade.....

Its all good lads, you know me....did my research!

Have sussed out the perfect ventilation/heat retention setup that works great.

Its only ever on while im watching a TV at night for an hour or so.......When i go to bed, it gets killed, so it doesnt kill me :p

I dont like sleeping with any heating on anyway, to many years under the stars!
Have decked out the queensize so Im as warm as toast all night in mid-winter.

Thanks for having my back though fella's, your a top bunch.

Thanks for the link Rob, will look into one of those.

Never had issues but pays to be safe hey.

Cheers mate

Let us know the end result Mike ;)

The wiring of an Erberspacher -

1433226417_20150602_104640.jpg

I'll post pics when it's all installed. The main distribution cable is compact, the pump cable more than long enough as is the controller cable. The extra lengths will be coiled and clamped out of the way. My power cable, will be cut to length when I establish what it is. The kit comes with a plug and terminals to fit on the power in socket of the distribution lead.

Finally came up with a quick release for the diesel tank retaining mechanism. I got 4 off spring loaded detent pins 1/4" x 1 1/4". They have a key ring loop one end and a small captive ball bearing on the other to stop them falling out.

1434005158_20150611_160705.jpg

This shows the tank in it's operating/travel position, the lower bolts are nylocked and allow for a hinge action.

1434005234_20150611_160556.jpg

This shows the tank in its filling position and allows a 10 lt jerry can to reach the filler tube easily. There is a detent pin either end of a small piece of chain, one goes in the fixed angle, the other into the angle that swings out with the tank, utilising the same 2 holes used in the first picture.

The chain takes the weight of the tank and stops it from opening too far as the fuel hose at the bottom has a limit before it might get damaged.

I should be starting to install the heater tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, but had other things to do........

Todays efforts -

1434106134_hole.jpg

Jigsaw the hole for the base plate flange.

1434106173_mask.jpg

I masked the hole on the inside so that I could spray some black paint on the edge of the cut hole to seal the timber.

1434106237_connect.jpg

It's much easier to connect the exhaust pipe, air intake pipe and fuel pipe up top. If the heater is installed, the other option is to get under the van, on your back and work in a difficult position.

1434106370_air_in.jpg

1434106370_warm_out.jpg

I drilled a 60mm hole in 2 locations for the duct inlet & outlet.

1434106434_instl_1.jpg

1434106434_instl_2.jpg

The heater body is now installed, along with the ducting. I want the warm air out to go straight down the guts of the van so I've swapped the fittings. The directional vent now faces toward the front of the van whilst warm air goes in the other direction. This allows for a more complete recirculation of warm air.

Not shown - Before I screwed the base plate in position, I put a bead of silicone on the edge of the jig sawed hole to keep water ingress when driving in the rain. The heater body is fastened to the base plate using the supplied nuts and spring washers.

I also, before screwing the heater in place, got under the van to work out the air intake pipe position and the exhaust pipe location and approx. length. The fuel hose is still coiled up under the van and plenty long enough to go to the pump.

Tomorrow's job, weather dependent -

Get on my back under the van to arrange the air intake, exhaust, muffler, fuel filter and fuel pump. A small hole is needed in the floor for the fuel pump electrics.

Then it's inside to wire up all the electrics.

The only thing I wont connect is the line to the input of the pump. Once I'm ready to put diesel into the tank, I'll use an oil syringe to suck fuel through from the tank, this will assist the first time operation. Once I get a drip of fuel through I'll then connect and clamp the line.

Latest posts