Detecting around Albury NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick64

Michael Ortiz
Reaction score
Hi All,
Anbody know of where to detect for gold around the Albury Wodonga area. I've done the Beechworth to Eldorado area and since being alluvial it's not worth the detecting. Has anybody done work around Tumut, Tumbarrumba, Corryong area. Just interested to know or should I head down Ballarat way?

Thanks

Mick

Hello Mick,
I have just been reading Doug Stone's "Gold Atlas" of NSW. Does cover all areas mentioned. The 'World of Shiny Stuff' site will give Lat/Long of mines. Is searchable by state and area.
The NSW Trade & Investment site will allow to view the nsw Wagga 1:250,000 metallogenic map and mine data sheets for each mine listed.
I use County maps for locating portion numbers,,,,usually I use 1930's maps if possible. 1:25,000 maps also give current portion No.
Another useful tool is "Trove" a nsw gov site, digitised newspapers, usually search for gold mining, 1850's on.
You also find heaps of useful info.
Of course this forum holds heaps of info, a literal gold mine of knowledge all things prospecting/fossicking.
Cheers
Diablo

Head for the triangle if you want to increase your odds of finding gold with a detector.

In very general terms in Victoria, some say that east of a rough north south line through Melbourne is Primary Gold (fine stuff) and west is secondary gold where primary has been re-dissolved and often formed into nuggets, much later in time. Doesn't mean that there aren't small nuggets in the eastern half, just more in the west.

Rob

My 4500 or Tesoro 20 kHz would easily pick up the little specimens my cousins used to spec on heaps around old mines when going fishing with their dad on the Vic side of Hume Wier at Albury. That was in the 1960's
Diablo

Diablo said:
My 4500 or Tesoro 20 kHz would easily pick up the little specimens my cousins used to spec on heaps around old mines when going fishing with their dad on the Vic side of Hume Wier at Albury. That was in the 1960's
Diablo

Yes, i did notice up behind Bethanga there were a couple of old digs, might check them out one weekend

Mick

PabloP said:
Head for the triangle if you want to increase your odds of finding gold with a detector.

In very general terms in Victoria, some say that east of a rough north south line through Melbourne is Primary Gold (fine stuff) and west is secondary gold where primary has been re-dissolved and often formed into nuggets, much later in time. Doesn't mean that there aren't small nuggets in the eastern half, just more in the west.

Rob
Hi Rob, yes I'm hoping to get down there early to mid October. The wifes going to Daylesford (all that spa stuff) and I thought I would take a wander through the hills and have a scout about

Up at Black Range behind Albury (Lavington) there are a couple of old gold mines. But they only pulled about 10kg of gold before they closed it down apparently. The old man reckons when he was young they used to pan the creek up there and get a few good specs higher up towards the hill.

Mick

Latest posts