Good morning from the Hunter Valley, NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Jane

Wayne
Reaction score
Morning all!

New to hobby member here, saying hi from Maitland, NSW.

I joined a few weeks ago and have been reading quite a bit around the forum, thought it was about time i said hi.

About me: Early 40's, I have been working in mining for around 5 years, i am currently studying cert3 in mines rescue and cert4 in training/assessing. I am a member of our ERT (emergency response team) and a first responder volunteer for St Johns. Outside of the above, I have a wife and kiddies, which keep me busy to say the least.

I've always been interested in all types of prospecting, history/relics etc would be at the top of my list, and after around 12 months of following multiple Instagram pages i decided to purchase a metal detector.

Ive started my journey with a Minelab Equinox 800 and a XP Mi4. The 800 has had the usual upgrades, being a carbon shaft set and collapsible control box mount from Aussidetectorist, and an alloy arm cuff from detect-ed. Next purchase will be possibly a 14x9 coil.

Given my location, I'm not sure (without further research) that the relic side of detecting will be very possible for me. I'm just not confident that there was any historical significance, albeit one with any monetary or real historical value in my area. Based on this, I'm not exactly sure what i will be hunting for. But i will be hunting..

That's about all i can think of at this time, I'm happy to hear any feedback on my equipment/location etc.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this forum and i look forward to interacting with you all.

- GJ

Welcome from Dave also Gordon Jane, I would have thought Newcastle and surrounding districts would be a great place to research historical sites, good luck with your detecting. Cheers 🍺

Welcome from Dave also Gordon Jane, I would have thought Newcastle and surrounding districts would be a great place to research historical sites, good luck with your detecting. Cheers 🍺

Thanks Dave!

Your absolutely correct, Newcastle and the surrounds are rich in history.
My first thought around Newcastle was maybe pennies and empty casings at best, but your reply had me thinking and maybe i was looking at it the wrong way.

Im blaming the months of youtube and instgram followings leading up to my detector purchase lol.

Welcome mate 'we have land and house at cessnock a 1000 acres to be exact but I thought the same 'but I'm also spoilt living in Sydney to as I've got more coins than I know what to do with dating back to 1754.but no the Hunter has quite a few places of historical importance and not just coal 'if you go out around Wollombi there's lots of convict crossing that where built to cross the creeks and rivers to get passage from Sydney to the Hunter .So there must have been convict camps close to these areas 'And there definitely worth investigating. Also a few old brothels set up along the way to 🤣🤣

Welcome mate 'we have land and house at cessnock a 1000 acres to be exact but I thought the same 'but I'm also spoilt living in Sydney to as I've got more coins than I know what to do with dating back to 1754.but no the Hunter has quite a few places of historical importance and not just coal 'if you go out around Wollombi there's lots of convict crossing that where built to cross the creeks and rivers to get passage from Sydney to the Hunter .So there must have been convict camps close to these areas 'And there definitely worth investigating. Also a few old brothels set up along the way to 🤣🤣
Thanks mate for the welcome!

Looks like i have some fairly in-depth googling to do.

-GJ

Betcha your 1000acres is full of bunnies too 😂

Latest posts